The Corroboree
Merkaba

acacia ... identifictation and couple of pics

heyas !

well i've been interested in wattles for a very long time... but haven't really sunk my teeth into getting anywhere with finding

the more interesting cousins of the species... but time has called for me to become interested again...

i found a nice one today. it smells awesome too!

check it out :)

I know it's quite a big task in actually IDing maidenii's and obtusifolias properly, especially just by looking at a photo. I borrowed a few books from the library to help me so

I found this one today in melbourne ... and no I'm not interested in killing this tree, just so you know :)

Anyone got any identification tips tho ?

Don't think it's an longofolia, maube some kind of floribunda?

also, a part of it's trunk had brown sap running all down it.

Image026.jpg

Image070.jpg

yeah plenty of them around not obtus or maidenii, i havent seen longifolia for a while so forget what they look like.

the tears or sap is a common thing can eat it too.

yea don't think it's either or longifolia.. i think longifolia have longer phylodes than the flower :P

have you eaten this sap yourself before?

Edited by Merkaba

yep A. floribunda by the looks of it :)

keep an open mind, allow for significant variability, bend words and have confidence :lol:

'tis a good time to be spending lots of time on id, lots of things in flower, the rest of the year is frustration of 'why didn't i do it when i had the chance' lol

at ega there was talk of floribunda but i cant recall anyone remember?

A good leaf source, there wer numbers mentioned, I think it was 0.3%. Its abundancy is what makes it such a good source & the goodies in the leaf meaning u do'nt have to hurt the tree.

yeah thats what i thought, great as this plant is around a fair bit here. did jeremy mention anything about seasonal variations? i often see this one be pruned alot, common street tree around here.

Not that I recall. I remeber him saying it was cosistent but not sure wether it was in regards to tree to tree variability or seasonal.

Well do urself & others a favour & clean up those pesky trimmings ;)

Anyone have experience with floribunda foliage?

At 0.3% in the foliage, does that mean around 35g of foliage would yield 100mg of spice? (Is my math right? 0.003 * 35 = .105) theoretically of course.

If so, that seems like a fairly environmentally friendly option, on planets where that might be legal of course.

Peace

Image026.jpg

Image070.jpg

in the top image the tips of the leaves are red... are they actually red irl??

ive found dozens of these in canberra but havent seen any with red tips.

CIMG2213.jpg

is this the same thing??

hjf

thoe are a different acacia you can see the flowers are round whereas with the floribunda one above has rods. different colour as well the floribunda being a bit more pale not as yellow as the one you have pictured :wink:

Hi Merkaba

Awesome book i recommend!

Leon Costermans: Native Trees and Shrubs of South-Eastern Australia.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/18/pid/2743.htm

I have the small pocket sized handbook version of this book, which i usually take with me when i go for a walk in the bush. But the the book in that link is where it's at!

cheers