The Corroboree
apothecary

A solution to the Teotz problem

As an anniversary to Teotz 1000 posts, each of which makes me less and less eager to venture into the forums which he posts, I did some googling to see if there was an "ignore users" feature.

Click "My Controls"

Scroll to the bottom of the screen, 4th item in the "Options" section on the left.

Click "Manage Ignored Users"

Add Teotz' (the ') is required.

Ah sweet silence.

Those of us who don't mind Teotz don't have to do anything, and those of us who are sick of it all finally have a mute button.

Cheers Sina. :wub:

Manage your ignored users:

This section allows you to set up your ignored users list.

When you add a user to your ignore list, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them. You may not be able to ignore users if they are in a member group which doesn't allow them to be added.

I imagine this will soon become a commonly utilised feature :lol:

I don't get what's so bad about Teotz'. I'm sure there's some whole thing going on that I'm blissfully unaware of (yes I'm aware of the caapi kyle thing). Teotz' is a bit odd (I think he's often overly obsessed with the details in things) but I think his posts are generally well-meaning.

...okay, I guess I do understand why some people get sick of him. He doesn't bother me personally anyway. I guess it's like how WS doesn't bother many people but does others.

Anyway, question...If I use the ignore thing, does that mean that every post by that person is not viewable by me? I don't think I'd want that, because it could get very confusing when there are arguments going on in threads.

Edited by ballzac

The current shit-fight is the NAC/Loph thread in the cactus sub forum...

For what its worth (and I hope Teotz' will read this thread) I think a part of the problem is Teotz' "Chat room" approach to the forum. Look at the posts he has made in that thread and alot of them are one-line immediate responses to what has been said in the post above.

Teotz', it's like you're sitting there with your finger on the button ready to click "Reply" to every submission on the forum. On page 2 of that thread you've made 10 posts. Read every one of them and there's not much you've actually said. If you took your time to slow down, decide if your first reaction is actually worthwhile putting down for everyone to read, maybe wait for a few more responses and then reply with a consolidated and thought-out response to several posts as an entirity then your mental ejaculations might be more worthy of attention.

Look at the first post of that thread... it's another brain fart that would have benefited from more thought and background research.

If you're still posting in a couple of years you'll look back and agree.

Anyway, question...If I use the ignore thing, does that mean that every post by that person is not viewable by me? I don't think I'd want that, because it could get very confusing when there are arguments going on in threads.

Manage your ignored users

When you add a user to your ignore list, any posts they make will be masked until you specify that you wish to read them. You may not be able to ignore users if they are in a member group which doesn't allow them to be added.

Manage your ignored users

Yeah, I did actually read that. I guess I pretty much just wanted confirmation that I wasn't misinterpereting it. Reposting the exact same thing doesn't really help me. :rolleyes:

The current shit-fight is the NAC/Loph thread in the cactus sub forum...

I read that thread when it was about half a page long. I didn't subscribe to it because it didn't look like it was going anywhere useful :wink:.

Ban him.

At least for a little while and see how much betetr this place would be.

there someone had to say it.

I just finished reading the thread, and yeah teotz' was being a wanker, but not as bad as I've seen some people do. After reading teotz' crap on about his 1000th post, I checked how many I had, and realised that my 1000th post was the first one in this thread. Kinda makes me feel a bit guilty because I don't think I have 1000 posts of substance either :blush:

i try to give everything a positive spin, if he's posts nerve me, than i say to myselfe, "it's a good opportunety to be more easy going and tolerant".

and he does, generate a lot of activety, lol.

the problem i see is that, allthough he improofed a lot, he is unable to change some of hie patterns, like the chatroom style, which i think is degrading the value of this forum.

most topics with a lot of views, befor teotz arrived, wher high grade topics with lots of info, humor, or controversy, now they are just full of tetz posts concisting of a few words, like "yay so cool".

i sometimes went to other forums, and upon reading there topics, realized that there was no info but just crap talk.

sab was always different in this regard, wher the info to crap ratio was very high, but now this stopped.

one thinks if a topic or a member has lot's of posts it's a good one, but thats not the case anymore.

i often thought that some very good topics, never got much exposure, because there is far too much competiton, from those "this guy drives me insane" topics, again this decreases the standard of this forum.

putting our heads in the sand, will not help, and sina you would still have to read all teotz posts in your forums, hahaha.

maybe the flooding control could be set in a way that he can only post a few posts a day....

maybe the flooding control could be set in a way that he can only post a few posts a day....

Not technically possible, but I think you are onto something here. I have asked teotz several times to be more judicious with his posting and to refrain from posting unless he has content. He is obviously not listening or he just doesn't get it. So, maybe we need to set him a daily limit. Say, 3 posts per day, or maybe even 5. That way he can chose to either make 3 crap posts or 3 good posts. If the former then it will be easy enough to ignore such a small number, if the latter then we can start increasing his post number.

I don't like banning people who contribute and despite all the crap, he does actually have good stuff to share. A post limit is also unlikely to enrage the anti censorship loudmouths as he can still post whatever he wants - he just has to condense it into 3 posts.

Sina - glad you found the ignore function. I thought it had one, but I couldn't find it

Some part of me likes the extermination nature of it.

Some part of me likes the ensuing confusion it would bring about.

Part of me likes Teotz. If nothing else, the man has passion, which is a lot more than many have these days.

Many parts of me worry about a person being discussed as if they're not "present". Not very fucking corroboree, really. But then, to enforce the standard you sometimes have to transcend the standard...all gets a bit iffy.

Part of me wonders if we had a chat room (do we have a chat room?), how much small talk and one lining would get sorted out in there. And many dubious things would become much less...fixed in time and space ;)

Part of me still likes the extermination nature of it, but even a bad person can appreciate a quiet and pleasant place to live.

I worry that many people that come here end up thinking they're thought little of, because of a few narky remarks here n there. We seem to set no upper limit on (b)anality but get very tender in situations of .... feeling? Not quite the word.

Teotz needs to sharpen up a little, but I do have some kind of reservation about imposing a silence... telling someone what you think and then them leaving voluntarily is somehow different to me. He honestly doesn't "bother" me, it just bothers me he bothers people... but then with him gone, big brother style, it means someone else becomes the Goat. Or does it?

All a bit catty but part of me meows :P

There, someone else can have the damn talking stick.

VM

edity... maybe it's purely semantic, part of me worries about the term "solution" being applied to any person. Even if they may be one of the most heinously intelligent supertrolls of all time, in a certain light. Also, if you set someone to "ignore" will that play hell with the "posts since last visit" function, if they're the most recent poster in a given thread, and if they start a thread, can we still see replies to it? All sounds a bit ... odd?

Edited by Vertmorpheus

I have not much to add to this thread, planthelper said all I wanted to say.

maybe it's purely semantic, part of me worries about the term "solution" being applied to any person.

and you do seem to worry a lot, dontcha Vert :P

Let me elaborate to put the part of you that worries I just made some sort of Hitler post to ease.

The problem: I find Teotz posts to be for the most part utterly aggravating. Having made my opinion known, and being shot down by those who "don't mind his enthusiasm" or whatever, the problem remains the same (despite the cathartic bitch sesh I get to have).

The solution: Those who are in the same situation as me can ignore him (and I mean actually ignore him, not "nobodies holding a gun to your head making you read this thread") without coming off as enthusiasm-hating-bring-downing-anti-optimism-jerkoffs.

And you know what? If you don't like my posts, nobodies holding a gun to your head!...or something...

I think it's a bit unfair to and almost immature to make a post about another member calling them a 'problem'. While some of Teotz' posts may not be full of substance, I think something like this, and some of the other abuse going particularly his way is only going to achieve making him feel unwanted and bad about himself. He doesn't offend anyone (that I have seen), he is obviously just a bit eager to contribute to the point where his contributions aren't always contributions as such.

Come on guys couldn't this have been handled in privacy, by the individuals who have a problem with Teotz? If you don't like him ignore him but I really don't think this was necessary and feel sorry for Teotz to be made to feel so excluded when he obviously likes this community and wants to be involved. Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Mind

I for one am glad that we have been shown an option to ignore. Thanks Sina

If someone liked the community so much why would they disregard eveytime people have tried to help them? and fill the place up with shit?

MindExpansion, how do you know that most of us haven't tried communicating to Teotz several times in private on the issue? Oh that's right, YOU HAVE NO FKN CLUE.

He started in the Chill Space where I spoke to him privately many many times requesting nicely to not repeat what went down on the nook and other forums here. Each time he say sorry, never do it again, you are right, then do it again (in a different forum).

Of course you never see any of the HEAPS of leeway given to various people you never see the threads and posts deleted from sheer stupidity rudeness and potentially lethal advice on ethnos handed out like candy, but you are all willing to jump in and condemn the straw that broke the camels back.

Always the bad guys trying to put people down and be jerks for no reason! FUCK I AM SO EVIL. Or immature. I forget which.

What's your problem ME? If Teotz hasn't realised after being banned from pretty much all the major international ethno forums that people don't appreciate his behaviour then he never will and I don't have to worry about offending him. This way he can continue posting until the entire Science half of the forum is uninhabitable and you don't have to put up with our unfair (and as you've obviously decided unjustified) public naming and shaming anymore!

Let me ask you this: when Teotz is telling one of the most respected and generally awesome members of this forum he is acting like a DICK for handing out pure pearls of wisdom...nah fuck it I'm not even asking...I'm telling you right now, I WILL NOT STAND FOR IT. Obviously no action will be taken to remove him, so I feel absolutely guiltless in posting this thread.

Edited by Sina

And ya know what? I have no idea if you're joking or not :P I never said you were a passion hating bla bla whatever the rest of it was, anyways. Just....yknow.... having a discussion?

He's a prawn, undoubtedly, and whilst I shouldve tacked a "cheers for finding a solution!" onto my last, I reckon you've done ok for pats on the back over time hey?

No need to get unharmonious in a thread about ways to perhaps restore a sense of balance, is there? Maybe I read things wrong.

I do worry a lot... it's because it's much easier to "set the standard" than it is to have it set for you, for some ;)

If nothing else, I'm sick of the divisiveness he brings about, part of me thinks "that must be really sad" and another thinks" what a twat"... any event, he makes me THINK an awful lot about ... essentially nothing, which would be admirable if it were intentional, but I doubt it is. On the other hand, as a mod rather than just some random geezer hanging around scabbing cactus bits etc, I reckon it might have sounded better as "Ignore Member Function - Details" rather than "A solution to the Teotz problem". If its about effects on the community and not about personality or culture, etc, surely a more general helper would have been less... kinda nasty sounding... than singling someone out. Call it a matter of diplomacy and politics but, the title of Moderator has to stand for something, or surely there's no point.

I also don't like the idea of what is essentially bullying becoming the way to deal with things... if its THAT serious a threat to the community (sounds familiar, that...) then why has he not been simply banned?

Anyways matie, relax, I don't think we need to get into the Red Versus the Blue business... more to a person than "on a sliding scale between sugar n shit, where would you place teotz?", apologies if you thought I was saying you were a Nazi... but youre also a bright enough unit to know about the power of words and the words of power.

A quest is a lovely thing, but in looking over the horizon its easy to trip over your toes.

VM

edity btw, youre not alone Sina, or anyone else for that matter... I've cycled thru the entire repetoire of possible perspectives on the guy (and have written as such) and it simply hasn't helped any :P I think I used the straw n camel line in my post about someone having a crack at gil for having a crack at teotz for... yeah... so on. I don't think anyone really needs to explain anything to anyone about anyone, we've all tried on all the hats at some stage.

Nutha one... sorry, where did I say I didn't like your posts? I didn't like the sound of THAT one, overly much, but figured youd have a hairy enough set of nuts to handle hearing it? I actually seem to have said part of me really likes the idea, but other parts of me disagreed... not sure how to be more even about things than that.

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Let me first say I'm sorry to VelvetSiren, I didn't mean to insult you Velvet, I think we just had some communication problems, you DID try to help me and give me some good advice, I'm sorry.

Sina, can't we be friends? I really don't understand how my posts are SOOO horrible... I try to stay on topic and I talk about plants...

As for me having 1000s posts... I asked a number of times that my post count be reduced back to ZERO, but nobody will do it... I can even show you a locked thread (where I cant edit anything) where I ask Torsten directly to reduce my posts count to ZERO and he refused.

How about...

For one month...

I can ONLY post in threads I have personally created? and I can only make 3 new threads during that month. Startin' in Sept.?

Would that work Torsten?

I think it's a bit unfair to and almost immature to make a post about another member calling them a 'problem'. While some of Teotz' posts may not be full of substance, I think something like this, and some of the other abuse going particularly his way is only going to achieve making him feel unwanted and bad about himself. He doesn't offend anyone (that I have seen), he is obviously just a bit eager to contribute to the point where his contributions aren't always contributions as such.

Come on guys couldn't this have been handled in privacy, by the individuals who have a problem with Teotz? If you don't like him ignore him but I really don't think this was necessary and feel sorry for Teotz to be made to feel so excluded when he obviously likes this community and wants to be involved. Just my 2 cents.

No this is better, now people can discuss it here instead of derailing all my other threads!

And you know what? If you don't like my posts, nobodies holding a gun to your head!...or something...

I always liked you Sina, maybe we can be friends one day.

I hope we can be friends guys! Do I ever really say anything THAT horrible?

I only really talk about plants... I try to stay on topic... I follow the rules...

What have I done that justifys a ban? I even stopped posting for a week! Nobody noticed! Nobody said anything! and it didn't seem to help!

I think he has a number of sock puppets though.

I most certainly do not! I have faithfully served the 1 year ban given to me by Dr.Bombay! He told me I could come back in a year almost 11 months ago.

I'm back at the nook in Oct. I suppose everyone will flip out...

I HAVE served the ban the mods gave me there, and think I should be treated fairly, but I doubt that will happen.

Mr.Smith... I still have not gotten your book! I bet it would answer alot of my questions! :unsure: I've tryed to purchase it a few times, but one time my money got lost, and another time I think it got stolen! Are you attempting to keep this book from me Mr.Smith? :lol: Just kiddin'! I'm sure you wouldn't do that!

Edited by Teotz'

Is it very hard to figure out why I stopped posting at The Nook until Teotz was banned? I think he has a number of sock puppets though.

I don't suppose I have been seen much around here either. Go figure.

M S Smith

Group: Members

Member No.: 19

Eight years and not even a thousand post, how pathetic!

~Michael~

Tell you what... if y'all are keen I'll send all the "offened" members, 3 (yes, just three) "White Peyote" Lophophora decipiens var. brackii seeds (if it's all legal and good, Oz laws are weird, so let me know) I have obtained them... does anybody want some? I'll send Sina an extra one cause he's really annoyed smile.gif (I know you all hate me, but I'm making this offer to only the people in this thread, PLEASE don't tell anybody esle!)

Well, that sure sounds like an attempt at bribery, no?? :P How pathetic! 3 seeds?? I mean, c'mon!!

I would be Ok with him being here if I got some 15-year old ariocarpus or something, but nothing less than that.... :P

One thing should be said anyway: this guy has caused mass reactions in every forum I have stumbled upon him...

Teotz, I think youll find its not the post count thats the problem, like its a badge of honor that people are pissed off about you owning, its the CONTENT of those posts so reducing it back to zero will do little unless you mean to delete all your posts, hmmm, thats an idea but it wouldnt be fair and wouldnt be possible (I dont think)

I try to stay out of this because generally speaking Im not that bright and I may say something wrong or out of context but I think the above is pretty clear.

i don't have anything against Teo or his posts... i actually quite enjoy reading some of his posts. but thats just my opinion and obviously doesn't count for much. If you guys really think he's that bad im sure teo would rather come to an agreement than be kicked off.

and mutant 3 seeds completely free of charge is alot better than nothing... anyway i don't want to get involved with all this, so i won't say anymore.

hope you guys can sort it out :)

anyway i don't want to get involved with all this, so i won't say anymore.

Probably a wise move after the tooth breaking, skull cracking kick to the head I got for adding in my 2 cents.

Sorry Sina, Shoulda just kept my mouth shut, if you guys tried to sort it out in private then cool, my bad.