The Corroboree
gilligan

Michael

A few people have been interested in what Michael looks like.

Here he is.

Expect him to be around sometime at the end of the year, or early next. :)

post-3727-1218450269_thumb.jpg

New bridgesii clone doing the rounds? Looks perty :)

Yup, this one is worth sharing :)

who what where??

take it there is a thread at @ another forum?

Yeah Gillie - I've never even heard of this one. Mind elaborating a little on his characteristics and what makes him extra special?

Wouldn't have heard of this one as yet, it's from an old bloke (cactus man Mike) that has had it for 40-odd years, and it's worth having. Basically just a bridge, but growth habit is really nice once it gets big, and :drool2::wink:

I thought it was worth naming after the old bloke, and sharing.

Hence Mike. Hence coming soon :)

Bears a striking resemblance to Psycho0. Purrrty nonetheless :)

My Psycho0's aren't that big, but from what i can see, the tip growth on the psycho0 isn't as squarish as the tips of the Michael, and the colour is slightly more dark green/blue; the michael is a bit more blue/yellow. May be the environment though... I have some of each at the moment about the same size, same cuts so i will be able to compare/contrast as they grow.

I'm not sure where the Psycho0 cultivar began, but pretty sure it aint from the cactus mans place. :)

Either way, it's something i'm naming after the old bloke as it came from his awesome cactus garden, and i felt it was worth honoring him with it, if i was going to send it out into the populace.

i'll update this thread as i get growth pics for Psycho0 and Mike.

It's great to see people propgating potent cuttings!

Good job! I wish more people in the States would do this!

Edited by Teotz'

Sounds like a great clone Gillie. Looking forward to hearing more about Mick's characteristics and what makes him tick :)

It's great to see people propgating potent cuttings!

It certainly is. Plus I love the fact that these individual plants can be shared within a community and even across the globe. Theres something awesome about the fact that Eileen has made its way from Oz across to the US and possibly the EU. Just goes to show that one plant can be in several places at once!

I wish more people in the States would do this!

I think you'll find that there are quite a few 'special' clones being produced in the States. An example is the Lumberjactus clone. I think that one has become quite popular along with several other US clones. Hit the Nook and other US-based forums for info on other interesting clones and info about them. Its just a shame that it's so hard to import those sort of clones into Aus. It'd be fantastic to have old favourites join aussie collections as well as other rarities such as crestate pachanoi and titty cactus and that sort of stuff. The US is quite lucky in that their customs/quarantine is a little more open in that regard.

Edited by Ace

Hey Gilligan I think I recognise the pot your cactus is in,if it is from the same old Italian dude (70+), I bought up a heap a few years ago.

Id love to know how you got yours to flower.

A good 2% + as well I believe :wink:

A good 2% + as well I believe

Not the same as the mum and dad clone? I think that one boasted similar averages. Seems quite common for bridgesii.

BTW, I hadn't noticed the first time I looked, but I think there might be a little pup on the side of Mick? Could he be a daddy?

Hey, Fenris... That be the one :)

The very first 'Mike' i got was from you for the peruv... When i went over to his place i saw those, and got them...

I figured giving it a name would be easier than calling it 'that bridge'... and as i said before - it was his baby first, so why not let him live on in a clone of his labours...

Re flowering, i just left it out the back near the shed and let it do it's thing... It didn't successfully pollinate, unfortunately. Was an awesome flower - my very first trich one :)

Acey - yup, there are actually two, but the second one is lower than the pot top so you can't see it :) I've got about 14 cuts them now in differing stages (some rooted and pupping, some just cut), so propagation is underway.

In about 6 months i should be able to also compare the Mike to the M&D, as i've now got 2 small cuts which i am prop'ing. I'll compare Psycho0, Mike and M&D around the same time, see what differences they exhibit.

Sonuds great Gillie. Put me down for a cutting in the future :)

Gilligan, the peruvi I got off you has 3 almost tennis ball sized pups on it and is doing nicely in the back yard :) Looking forward to this summer for sure.

Fenris - Grin - cool as... The other peruv cuts i took at the time now have some good sized pups on them, def come on summer, they're gonna rock...

Ace, i'll put you down, but (sorry everyone) the rest of the cuts will be put up as they come to hand, either on SnS (depending on if i need the moolah), or here as a trade item... I def want to spread them across the land...

I'll have to see at the time, and when they are ready...

Anyway, will update this thread as it happens...

Woot - you champion Gillie! :worship: I'll have to do my best to find something in return. Will shoot you a PM at some stage (or send one my way when Mick's ready :)).

Isn't this just the standard bridgesii cultivar?

Fuck knows, dude. :)

All i know is it is from an old variety that has been kept in cultivation for the last 40 years, and it's a schmick plant. Either either, really. It's still Mike's cactus... Hence the name...

Those that are interested in it as Mike will want it, those that aren't wont.

Are people just naming there cactus, in attempt to profit from them? Should I be naming each individual plant that i grow from seed?

Me thinks... a rose by another name....

Are people just naming there cactus, in attempt to profit from them?

Hmmm.. profiting, when the cut is going at a current rate of 55c/cm, around that of a pach? When it compares to other bridges which goes for around a dollar, or more? I don't give a rats arse either way, if someone can get a really good bridge cheap, then why not?

Re the name - As i said, it's a clone that is in/around perth, and has stemmed from one point in particular. If a name on a clone allows it to be recognised as the same cactus in other collections, and coming from the one location initially, what's the issue? The person buying the cut doesn't have to keep the name I've given it... But at least now when i talk with people in perth re trades, half of them already have the mike clone, and just hearing the name, they recognise the purchase point of it... (actually, they first recognise the name of the bloke they bought it from, and then ask if it's from the same place)

Either way, Mike is Mike, and that's how i'll reference it. If people don't want to call it that, wicked, onya, whatever...

Hmmm.. profiting, when the cut is going at a current rate of 55c/cm, around that of a pach? When it compares to other bridges which goes for around a dollar, or more? I don't give a rats arse either way, if someone can get a really good bridge cheap, then why not?

Re the name - As i said, it's a clone that is in/around perth, and has stemmed from one point in particular. If a name on a clone allows it to be recognised as the same cactus in other collections, and coming from the one location initially, what's the issue? The person buying the cut doesn't have to keep the name I've given it... But at least now when i talk with people in perth re trades, half of them already have the mike clone, and just hearing the name, they recognise the purchase point of it... (actually, they first recognise the name of the bloke they bought it from, and then ask if it's from the same place)

Either way, Mike is Mike, and that's how i'll reference it. If people don't want to call it that, wicked, onya, whatever...

Nicely put mate.

Given that the Trichocereus (Echinopsis) genus is not self fertile, clone referencing makes sense more from a genetic aspect then a commercial one. Keeping track of clones could save the avid trich breeder a seasons work by reducing the likelyhood of attempts to cross pollinate visually different forms of the same clone. Desirable traits of a specific clone could also be targeted in breeding programs.

I'm sure there are folks within the community with a little more valid experience on these matters then me (given the fact I've never bred trics) and could add further important aspects to using clone referencing to direct tric breeding programs.

I guess it just depends which direction we as a community wish to head in. One of nameless clones that we brought from a commercial nursery or sharing knowledge to grow together in a direction for which we all have some input and contribution.

Edited by interbeing