The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Orange spots on my a few of my cacti

Hi Guys & Gals I have some orange spots on a few of my cacti. I was just wondering what is the best way to get rid of these spots. I have sprayed a little bit of fungicide on the one that are infected. I will post some pics in the next day or 2. I love mushroom fungi but not these little orange suckers. Is there any better way then to treat them with copper sulfate fungicide? and a more natural way with a certain herb? One is a pedro and the other is a loft, a few of my grafting mediums also have it Any advise is greatly appericated. Thanks form Sharxx101

Edited by sharxx101

how big are the spots?, where abouts on the cactus are they?, what sort of cactus is it?, where do you keep said cactus?

One is a pedro and the other is a loft, a few of my grafting mediums also have it.

Please clarify, give us latin botanical names.

Pedro = Trichocereus pachanoi?

What's a loft?

Oh, and welcome to the forums sharxx!

Edited by Teotz'

What's a loft?

My guess is a Loph with a bad case of typo-itis :P

Sharx, welcome :) Generally these things are pretty hard to diagnose without pics, so if you can work at getting some up it'll help. In the mean time, if it is nasty, moist and rank looking, you may want to excise the patches with a clean razor/very sharp knife (wiping the blade with isopropyl alcohol after each slice) and dust with sulphur to heal the wounds. If it is dry and not going anywhere, you are probably best to leave it and let the cacti heal on their own. Often specimens develop orange spots and they dont do anything but stay as 'beauty spots' and you kind of just have to learn to live with it.

Remember - if its nasty and looking like it could be terminal then slice and dice. If its not going anywhere or causing any problems (apart from cosmetic) then grin and bear it :)

"Please clarify, give us latin botanical names." - teotz

Please clarify, you mean you'd appreciate binomial nomenclature? It's not all in Latin.Very few dead roman gardeners around these days, so most people get along ok with it.

OF COURSE he means a loph and a pach-ish thing... maybe he's trying to not specifically indicate he is in possession of a frequently illegal cactus (self incrimination being generally a no no in these parts, hell he might be trying his best to integrate into a new community!), maybe trying to minimise the extent to which SAB pops up anytime some high school kid types "loph" into google, maybe its a typo. Maybe if he felt like being that technically correct he'd get it right, unlike you, and call it an Echinopsis pachanoi. Maybe he has a few literacy issues and is actually doing pretty well, considering?

Gday sharxx, don't mind the pup he just gets excited to meet new people. You might try putting "orange spot" "orange rot" etc into the search engine, you'd be hard pressed to have a question that's not been answered really well by someone previously, amazing database behind the scenes, enjoy!

VM

Trichocereus pachanoi is my pedro, and my grafting mediums are perskopis you can guess what i meant by loft. should have been a loph. they are small orange spots I have photos but this site doesn't seem to let me up load them. Thanks for the advise guys, I will cut them out as they are tiny and dont want them to spread. Is there any natural fungicide as I dont like to spray harsh chemicals on my babies. Thanks for the info. I am still a newbie to this site and trying to figure out how everything works. Thanks again

Edited by sharxx101

I've had pretty good luck using pure essential oils of ti tree, clove and thyme (esp thyme,) at very high dilution with sterilised water, its my general purpose "die you suspicious looking growth!" treatment and they all seem to go away. I use the same to treat recycled cactus prop mix and bar a few spots of green algae I don't get any damping off or cobwebby mould, etc. never use it on orange or black rot as I find that either sorts itself, with a lil fresh cutting and more airflow etc, cut back water bla bla...and the nasty cases it just keeps rotting no matter how cleanly you freshenthe cut or what you treat it with.

VM

I've had pretty good luck using pure essential oils of ti tree, clove and thyme (esp thyme,) at very high dilution with sterilised water, its my general purpose "die you suspicious looking growth!" treatment and they all seem to go away. I use the same to treat recycled cactus prop mix and bar a few spots of green algae I don't get any damping off or cobwebby mould, etc. never use it on orange or black rot as I find that either sorts itself, with a lil fresh cutting and more airflow etc, cut back water bla bla...and the nasty cases it just keeps rotting no matter how cleanly you freshenthe cut or what you treat it with.

VM

Thanks VM I will take your advise.