The Corroboree
Alkron

Subs at school?

Question

Sorry about the pic quality. I've been watching these for a little over a week, growing outside my lecturers offices at school. At first I just thought they looked like subs, but today when I passed them I noticed the rim of the caps had turned blue. I took it on and this afternoon, I grabbed a few. Everything about them says subs, but I've never in my 18 years picking these guys come across any with brown stems. At least the inside of them are, the outside is pretty much white. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has encountered this and how cool is it to find them at school. I wonder if any of my lecturers are sitting in their offices staring out the window, drooling :drool2: over these guys lol.

post-3506-1216891219.jpg

I had a really good yeid from a known site with unquestionable shrooms so these will sit on the back burner, at least till I have definative proof of id.

Thanks.

post-3506-1216891219.jpg

post-3506-1216891219.jpg

11 answers to this question

lol, they look like subs to me. funny finding them in a school

Definitely subs you've got there. Cool find. The inner flesh of the stems is always an orangy brown colour ive found.

Looks likely but pretty old, I wouldn't eat them based on that though.

Definitely subs you've got there. Cool find. The inner flesh of the stems is always an orangy brown colour ive found.

+1 on that. I'm very new to fungi ID, but all the suspect subs that have popped up around here seem to display the same colouration. Interestingly, some seem to take a long time to exhibit any bluing.

I wonder if any of my lecturers are sitting in their offices staring out the window, drooling :drool2: over these guys lol.

If they are anything like a couple of my lecturers... I'd say "yes" is a fair possibility. :wink:

The photo's really dark. It looks like the stems are browning in that pic, and where the top of the one second from the white is orange instead of white. I can't be definite if it is a sub.

Yeah, subs all through the institution at which I study. I generally just take photo's and leave them be. First week back this semester, I saw a shitload in a really public place. I got on my knees and started taking photos with my phone. When I came back the next day with my camera they had all been picked.

the three biggest universities in Melb are the three best spots i have ever found for subs. One in particular where I went for many years was mad - 4000 plus patches were quite common. We did some isolation work with a patch up behind it at the wild life reserve - made a wicked patch after a some isolation work, bulk substrates and then re-introduction. Subs galore... Good spot for Purple Gyms too..

hmm I wonder how the fuck this could be the same species with this...

th_DSCN3779.jpg

hmmm...hmmmm...hmmmmm

hmm I wonder how the fuck this could be the same species with this...

th_DSCN3779.jpg

hmmm...hmmmm...hmmmmm

They're not talking about Panaelus subbalteatus, but Psilocybe subaeruginosa.

Common names always seem to cause problems, especially across cultural borders :P

Anyway, I tend to call pan subbs "subbs" and the ozzies, "subs" to distinguish them in an ever-so coloquial and subtle way :huh:

thanx for clearing this up ;)

I was so sure these mushrooms couldn't be pan subbs, not even any panaeollus, and was amazed to see people saying they are :)

Edited by mutant