The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

The case of the missing Loph...

I was having a chuckle at the fact that you mention shooting animals well before trying to trap/release them in order to save lophs (my stereotype of a trigger-happy american stands :P). Then I noticed that your ideas of shooting animals fall under 'Organic Pest Control'. Well, I suppose there arent any pesticides being used... :wacko:

BTW, I dont think you can buy bear scent here in Aus, at least not that I've seen. I dont think I've come across too many bears here either for that matter :P I know there is stuff that can be bought at the local hardware/garden shop for possum repellant though.

I feel your pain! I bought my first T. peruvianus about two months ago and one morning I couldn't find it anywhere. The pot was there, no soil/sand looked dislodged and the pot was in the exact same position. Looked around everywhere all over the yard so I figured some nutter must have nicked it! I sometimes speak too freely in my back verandah but my neighbours have never reported me to police for noise or anything, and I've had some pretty wild drug-fuelled parties for my cat and her friends. I couldn't understand why they'd pick now to steal anything from me. THEN I caught a glimpse of something weird looking; it was the mangled remains of my small cactus... with dog chews all over it. Flatmate's dog had eaten it the little bastard! I thought he'd totally gone to town on it so we were really worried if he was going to start tripping face on it, being only a puppy. Then I saw another bit and realised the first piece was the rooted section, but the top piece wasn't quite as gnawed on though the pup must have yanked out the spines one at a time, must've been pretty funny to watch. Naturally we called the vet to ask if there was anything to look out for - him rolling around on the ground seeing gnomes and goblins and light trails etc - but she said he should be ok and that we should be more worried about him eating a spine by accident. Didn't even think about that aspect duuuurrh. Luckily he's a staffordshire bullie X cattle dog so he's got an iron stomach.

Just now today have I received my next p torch so hopefully this one will remain uneaten by the damn dog. Obviously it's going to be put much high out of his reach...

I have heard of Birds pecking them and even pulling them out and eating them. Once a bird gets the taste for loph's they will come back to finish the others be warned about birds!!!!

Should I remind people that our pesky possum friends are also NATIVE pesky friends that are protected by law. Live trap and remove far away if possum

Thought I,d better let people know that in NSW at least,it is illegal to transport a possum more than

50 metres away from its home.If you do,experts say that it will be dead within 4 days :o .I think they

die from stress or from fighting with other possums in that area.

So if you have possum troubles all you can do is obtain a possum nesting box and put it in a nearby

location and try to coax it into living there.

Edited by Andrew

The Birds also call their young over to the dining table you prepared.

The case for animal-assisted abduction grows stronger...

This weekend I discovered a Lithops uprooted but left beside its pot relatively unscathed. I would think a bird in this case.

You can get wire domes from a hardware store that will protect your valueable cacti that have no spines. Birds are usually the problem, they will eat anything that doesn't have spines. If you get a big raven it will easily take a large loph and eat it somewhere where it is safe form human intervention. Once birds have started eyeing off your collection they will try take them one by one. Protect you cacti against birds!

I have a friend that told me that rats will also eat lophs.