The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Insecty things in fungi?

Hiyo!

Went for a poke to see if any edible Agaricus or similar species were around recently, so I could culture them as home for use as mushroom compost.

Upon retreival of some specimens, I discovered in the gills several slow moving grey insect/grubby/whatever things (couldn't have been more than 1-2mm wide and 3-4mm head to toe), obviously eating a little bit of breakfast.

I quarantined these from the untouched specimens so they would not turn breakfast into brunch, and left the specimens overnight. When I returned the following morning, the quarantined fruitbodies had lost most of their moisture content and the little grubbers had left after causing some serious structural damage to the caps (all in the name of science :P). Assuming they left due to loss of moisture.

Anyone know what these buggers could have been? I am worried they were some post-larval termites or something eating their fill?

Have seen, and i think probably eaten, many of these little buggers. No idea what they are though sorry, they do take a fair chunk out of any fungi though!

Peace,

Mind

I've had a similar critter(s) eat there way through a whole bag of dried and sealed air tight mushrooms.Same sort of result just a gossamer skeleton remaining .

I also found a couple of them little critters in an A. muscaria specimen I recently found. They made it turn quite a nasty smell too, so I ended up throwing it out. My (speculative) guess is some sort of fly larvae.

in castenadas smoking mix the grubs are in the mushrooms when stored in a clay bottle and sealed.

after a year the bottle is opened,grub carcasses and grub shit are then finely ground and added to other plants. for the smoking mix.

that was my reading of it anyway.......

t s t .

I'm stunned this seems to be the first time you've come across them Sina. You've obviously been part of the community for ages, and larvae of this nature is common to many mushrooms!

Annoying little guys - especially disgusting when you don't expect them too ;)

shit picks but u can just see em on photo here...I assumed some sorta fly larvae...

post-1069-1214310710_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1214310861_thumb.jpg

Sure its fungus gnat? gnat flys are'nt anywhere near that big? but wat do I know about entomology ;)

the 'gnats' in the pics are escaping the effects of a food desiccator, kills em all :uzi:

Edited by Conan Troutman

Yeah see these fairly often, they've never made it through drying though.

Likely most people have ingested a few over the years..

A few is an understatement if you don't dry. Funnily enough, while i have seen the little white larvae looking things, more commonly I've noticed little black bugs that seem to crawl all through the gills and can jump but I don't think they can fly. Odd little things but probably up to 50 on single mushrooms.

Peace

Mind

A few is an understatement if you don't dry. Funnily enough, while i have seen the little white larvae looking things, more commonly I've noticed little black bugs that seem to crawl all through the gills and can jump but I don't think they can fly. Odd little things but probably up to 50 on single mushrooms.

Peace

Mind

Yeh they curl em selves in half an flick yeh? crazy lil fuckers too.

Yeh they curl em selves in half an flick yeh? crazy lil fuckers too.

Maybe springtails then. Collembola

c67.jpg

Seems more likely to be what I'm used to seeing, now I know what's probably still crawling around in my gnome's belly, poor little guy.

Peace,

Mind

now I know what's probably still crawling around in my gnome's belly, poor little guy.

It's ok. They're probably active. Notice the blue-staining in that pic?

It's ok. They're probably active. Notice the blue-staining in that pic?

Haha :lol: I thought it looked a little sus, but it's obviously just a little psilocin oxidising! :wink:

Hehehe excellent, pro-longed release Psilocin, no wonder the little gnome just sits and stares, occasionall getting up to stumble to a new seat lol.