The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
victorski

How One Starts A New Patch

Hey guys,

i was wondering how one would go about starting a new patch, ive got some patches but there quite a distance away it would be great to bring some closer to home! i read that unlike dung dwellers that wood lovers (subs) are quite strong and the mycelium wont die over the summer months so hypothetically if i was to take a big clump of mycellium from the ground and transplanted it to another patch and water it and the conditions were right would it grow and roughly how long would it take to begin fruiting again ?

Love Victor

A good way is to keep all your stem butts from a harvest in a bag. Get some corrugated cardboard and soak it in water until its saturated, then let it drain. Peel the layers apart and place your stem butts on the cardboard, then stick the layers back together. Stick this in a black plastic bag and poke some holes in it so it can breath, but won't dry out. Stick it in your cupboard and wait a month or two and it should get colonised by the stem buts, then you can bury this mass in a moist, shaded woodchip bed of your choice... j

It will take at least until the next winter to fruit, during this time you should try and keep it moist if possible to help the mycelium spread even further.

post-1432-1211979829_thumb.jpg post-1432-1211979818_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1211979818_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1211979829_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1211979818_thumb.jpg

post-1432-1211979829_thumb.jpg

ahh :) awesome idea hyphal, if i was to do the PF Tek with BRF cakes then innoculated grain spawn with crumbled brf cakes then use the grain to innoculate a wood chip patch outdoors, would that work? or would i get some woodchips then innoculate them with the grain say indoors then take those chips outdoors and place them under the wood chip bed ? is the cardboard spawn method very slow or fast?

ahh :) awesome idea hyphal, if i was to do the PF Tek with BRF cakes then innoculated grain spawn with crumbled brf cakes then use the grain to innoculate a wood chip patch outdoors, would that work? or would i get some woodchips then innoculate them with the grain say indoors then take those chips outdoors and place them under the wood chip bed ? is the cardboard spawn method very slow or fast?

You got it on one man, thats the best method there. No need to spawn the brf cakes to grain though - its the same thing. Start with EITHER brf cakes OR grain jars with woodlover spores, then break these up and spawn to soaked woodchips. Keep wet though summer then in winter they should do their own thing when the temp drops and the rains come...

Edited by Hyphalknot

Ah ok, awesome :D yay now i can hope to bring a patch closer to home! cheers hyphal for ya help! B)

Ah ok, awesome :D yay now i can hope to bring a patch closer to home! cheers hyphal for ya help! B)

Very much... now to find something worthy of spreading... I'm gonna get there one day damn it! :lol:

There is a clump of mycelium under the surface of my garden where I threw some semi dried subs about a month ago. Should I just leave it or should I give it water when its not raining? Also if I took a few chips and used them to colonize a small tub of chips could I fruit it in the fridge somehow? cheers.