The Corroboree
Stinkmeat

Heavy Metal

:devil: I have noticed that a lot of people on these forums listen to a fair amount of electronica and/or chilled music. But every now and then, someone will mention a metal album. So I was wondering how many people here listen to metal. What are the reasons or emotions behind it? For example - I listen to metal because it is a good anger release without actually doing anything aggressive. And also I get a strong groove from metal that I have never found anywhere else.

And while we are at it, can anyone point me towards some metal that has really impressed them.

I'll start with:

Meshuggah - Highly technical groove metal

Tool - Sludge/Prog/Industrial/Psychedelic metal

Mastodon - Conceptual/Hardcore metal

Decapitated - Death metal sound without the death lyrics

Any other metal bands to look into would be appreciated. :)

Katatonia are pretty good... they are from Sweden.

Julian.

acacia strain,

american head charge,

fear factory,

i second katatonia,

in flames,

devil driver are incredible,

horse the band are funny, some decent songs, many not so good,

Will post up some more if i think of them,

Peace,

Mind

i used to really dig machinehead.

is metallica classed as metal? really dug them to.

Hey stinkmeat

man if you like Tool there is a good chance you'll like Isis. Prog-metal with a deffinate stoner rock influence. I've only been into them for about a year now but they're already one of my all time favorite bands. Meshuggah are awesome, i've got catch 33, nothing and destroy, erase, improve. Also anything by Max Cavelera i like i.e Soulfly and Sepultura, nailbomb is worth checking out i think. Slayer are awesome.

cheers

hey conan, it took me a while but i finally realised your name is a kyuss song. I saw qotsa at v fest in april. awesome set!

cheers

Thanx for the replies so far. :)

I checked out a couple of songs from katatonia and acacia strain, not too shabby. "3750" is a pretty cool track by acacia strain.

Surpisingly, I have heard all the other bands to some extent and enjoy most of them.

Peaceful Son - I have only just found Isis within the last year as well. Saw them last time they toured which was pretty cool. They are really talented at capturing and developing an emotion rather than hooks or catchy riffs. And Meshuggah are just plain awesome!

Dunno if anyone is interested, but Meshuggah are touring Aus in october for the first time ever! Already nabbed myself a ticket :wink:

And Jono - I'd class metallica as metal, they even have it in their name, lol so they must be. What do you mean when you say "i used to"? Are you no longer into metal?

I'm surprised that there were this many replies so soon. Seeing as metal has a pretty negative conetation attatched to it. While the drug/hippy scene has the total opposite. I s'pose its each to their own. And I'm really not a fan of the meathead/hardcore attitude that most metal bands have. Good to see that most of the bands mentioned so far don't conform to that mentality.

Keep the bands coming!

Stink

HAHAHAHA! Dethklok rule! One of the funniest animations of late and some pretty talented musician behind it as well.

Nice choice Conan

HOLY FUCK! Meshuggah in australia?! FTW

Check out Arsis, Alarum (fresh psychedelic metal) & Necrophagist. Oh, and Lamb Of God.

They're probly the only newish metal bands i listen to, other than that its all oldschool thrash & death metal :lol:

Just listened to Alarum. Really liked the music, don't go so much on the singing :P Lamb of God is a good choice. They have their pretty hardcore image, but seem like cool guys and have some unique sounding riffs. Necrophagist aren't too shabby either.

And yeah tickets went on sale for Meshuggah on friday. I think the tour is nation wide, maybe not Adelaide. :scratchhead:

Oh and Peaceful son - If you have liked all the Meshuggah you have heard so far, I would recommend getting your hands on another of their albums Chaosphere. Really really good, nice jazzy groove to it.

Edited by stinkmeat

:drool2: man meshuggah would be awesome live! just gotta convince one of my mates to come with me. Depending on whether or not i get a ticket. What were isis like stinkmeat? sadly i wasn't into them when they were last here (06) and missed them, been hanging out for them to come back ever since. Chaosphere, cool i'll check it out.

cheers

Like hardcore? If so Byron Bay band Parkway Drive are worth a listen.

Otherwise since you like tool you might like opeth?

Peace

Mind

cant believe how much i like the Dethklok album...farkn rawks

other new stuff Ive been listening to lately...

Alchemist-Tripsi <<<oz psy metal

High On Fire-Death Is This Communion

Mastodon-Blood Mountain

Ministry-The Last Sucker

Dark Tranquillity-Fiction

anything from The End records<<<<crazy shit

Stolen Babies-There Be Squabbles Ahead

Giant Squid-Metridium Fields

Blotted Science-The Machinations Of Dementia

Sigh- any of them

Frantic Bleep is a progressive metal band from Norway.

Sleepytime Guerilla Muesum

Thee Maldoror Kollective Black Metal (early) / Industrial/Avant-garde

also been bangn heds to latest...Killing Joke, Down, Rush, IronMaiden, Slayer, DreamTheater

basically anything dark/fast/and or technical...

Edited by Conan Troutman

Alchemist - Road to Ubar OZ BAND!

Stolen Babies - Push Button - an American avant-garde metal band with significant influences from dark cabaret, signed to The End Records.

Mastodon "Colony Of Birchmen"

Killing Joke - Invocation

Dethklok: Thunderhorse Music Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BtY8fGvDqU

Blotted Science - Laser Lobotomy, an instrumental extreme metal band / project headed by Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastic Ink), bassist Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) and drummer Charlie Zeleny (Behold... The Arctopus, Jordan Rudess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NjgZdWfLY

EDIT*

Edited by Conan Troutman

ah ministry was who i was thinking of! not machine head!

they were really really cool! downloading some now!

ah ministry was who i was thinking of! not machine head!

they were really really cool! downloading some now!

thats good coz Machinehead suck! tho I hear the new one is bit more upto standard

Check out the newest and what will be the last ministry album, Last Sucker, highly politically charged. Gotta jus love Al dont ya!

Peaceful son - Isis were awesome live. I wouldn't consider them one of my favourite bands, but they put on a really good show. "Show" may be the wrong word. They didnt really do that much, besides play their instruments. But they had good mood lighting that complimented each song, and the fact that the focus was on the music, not the band, made it much more enjoyable.

Mind - I have only briefly heard of Parkway Drive before, might check them out. And you are right about Opeth, I'm already a fan of theirs. Hoping to see them on their upcoming tour.

Conan - I know what you mean about the Dethalbum by Dethklok. At first I just got into it for the comic value, but started to really like the music. Especially songs like "Bloodtrocuted." :P I checked out all the bands you mentioned. I am already a fan of Mastodon. Love their work. From the others you mentioned, Stolen Babies and Blotted Science were real standouts. Stolen Babies is a nice change from the stereotypes of metal. Blotted Science just blew me the fuck away. Definitely a band that I will look into. I have never really heard much Ministry, so will give that a stab. New World order is an awesome song though.

Thanx

Stink

Edited by stinkmeat

"Decapitated - Death metal sound without the death lyrics"

i was gonna say "whut?" but then realised you said lyrics, not vocals. a good bit of technical death, my favourite was 'spheres of..' well spheres of something.. madness?

.. and yeah, metal is associated with meat head attitudes or satanism, then you've got gore too, it makes me wonder when metal first started to shift from "hard" to "evil"

metal kicks ass, and isn't about any of that shit IMO. it's about kick ass musicianship, beauty, and power (and guitars).

i don't have any of my old collection so i can't name too many bands, but one often overlooked older thrash type band is TESTAMENT. another old band that is probably underappreciated is the well known MERCYFUL FATE.

my absolute favourite metal songs come from CHILDREN OF BODOM

ARCH ENEMY is some alright death and hasn't been mentioned.

if you like CRADLE OF FILTH (like i did) then you will probably like ILNATH

i love FINNTROLL for folk metal but the popular favourite is KORPIKLANI (sp?)

there is tons of good metalcore but the culture of it annoys me, likewise we have the rise of emo and i haven't been following any of it due to finally realising that psytrance is pretty decent stuff :) LOG and DEVILDRIVER have been mentioned, a couple of older metalcore bands are ZAO and.. i forget. anyway there is good stuff there if you can find it. the scene exploded in america.

there is an aussie metalcore band called CALENISH CIRCLE, not that great but i loved 'blood red' (or something)

another genre i don't mind is the full on euro power metal like STRATOVARIUS, SYMPHONY X, also DRAGONFORCE is pretty similar

i wouldn't call it metal but a great old chunky stadium rock band before my time was TESLA

i wish i had my old collection :( i know there are others that had quite an impact on me.

i forgot to mention that the CHILDREN OF BODOM album you want is 'follow the reaper'... that is some beautiful, powerful dual guitar virtuoso synth death mwahaHA

also remembered RHAPSODY being alright, similar to symphony x etc i guess

not a fan of opeth or iced earth but they are of course popular favourites. should i be mentioning old stuff like JUDAIS PREIST? yes i should. maybe you missed out or just love that old stuff.

nobody mentioned KATAKLYSM or KATATONIA

oh... HYPOCRISY! i remember loving this shit for a while. it's kind of simple. i can't remember why, but it was solid as.

KALMAH?

there is great metal out there! drummers are so talented compared to in the past where lombardo of slayer was considered revolutionary. i wish i could say the same for guitarists but i don't think it's true.

ENSIFERUM / WINTERSUN ;)

remember that eminem song which had a sample from an aerosmith song? well uh, dio and malmsteen did a tops cover of that.

i heard on the radio today symphony of destruction by MEGADETH. i wouldn't bother to mention 'deth as they are deservedly a household name, but remember they remastered everything... i was impressed by the new sound of that song, so it might be worth revisiting that stuff (i never go too long without listening to deth).

man, i'm gonna download the discographies of all these bands. why not?

Number 1 metal band in my opinion is Metallica. Kiss aint so bad eaither, at their ripe old age,Rage against the machine are always good too. iv kinda lost track of the new metal bands. i usually only listen to the oldies.

Good to see some true metal plantheads about :lol:

Lots of topknotch bands bein mentioned, awesome stuff