The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente Hillbillios

Advise for absolute beginner

Hey all,

I would like to have a go at growing some mushrooms. I am an absolute "no nothing" beginer but would love to give it a go. I have seen mushroom kits on Evilbay (sorry i dont know how to post a link) and would like on advise on if these would be any good. Item number: 270238449170.

I have had a mushroom kit from Kmart before and just love the way they just magically appear but i would like to get a bit more into it than last time. Could anyone suggest a good book to get me started, as i said i know absolutly nothing but am keen to give it a go.

Thanks all for any advise Hillbilly

P.S. any advise would be great appreciated

Hi Hillbilly! We have countless threads about growing and books! Just learn to Use the Search Engine! Stamets Book on growing mushrooms is a good one to start!

Concerning the growbox: I think Its too expensive and I wouldnt buy something like that at ebay! You can get all this stuff for less money if you take yourself the time to check other sources! You can surely produce some mushrooms with this box but as your a beginner it probably wont pay out!

Oh, and Welcome around !

bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Hey all,

I would like to have a go at growing some mushrooms. I am an absolute "no nothing" beginer but would love to give it a go. I have seen mushroom kits on Evilbay (sorry i dont know how to post a link) and would like on advise on if these would be any good. Item number: 270238449170.

I have had a mushroom kit from Kmart before and just love the way they just magically appear but i would like to get a bit more into it than last time. Could anyone suggest a good book to get me started, as i said i know absolutly nothing but am keen to give it a go.

Thanks all for any advise Hillbilly

P.S. any advise would be great appreciated

www.shroomery.org

'mycelium running' by stamets.

Hey man,

check out shroomery.org then search the forums for the PF Tek using BRF (Brown Rice Flour) cakes , then for the your chamber search Poor Mans Pod, by magesh this is one of the basic and easyiest ways to grow little ones!

Google 'magic mushroom growers guide' for a fantastic online book. It applies to many legal, edible species too, so dont get put off by the name. And yep, use the search engine here for lots of tips.

Hey all,

Sorry to bump such an uninteresting thread.... but i would just like to say a big thanks for your help.

I bought growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms, i built a poor mans pod and tracked down some good jars. Now I'm in the process of trolling the lifeline stores for a good sized pressure cooker.

I would just like to impose one more question on you guys, with so much to choose from, what is an unusual and legal, edible for me to start with? im planning to use the pf tek brf cake style idea..

Once again thanks so much for your help so for.. i cant wait to get started..

Hillbilly

Oysters are supposed to be fairly easy and there are heaps of different varieties. Also, the old button mushroom is a very, very easy species (probably what you'd find in the Kmart or Bunnings shroom kits).

For something very unusual (though not edible, however is legal) species, google search (or use the SE) 'bioluminescent fungi'. Very unusual glow-in-the-dark species that looks great! Would love to try these, however probably not a great one for a beginner (few people have cultivated it I think).

Good luck!

hey hillbilly, this should be pretty helpful for a beginner:

Also, the old button mushroom is a very, very easy species (probably what you'd find in the Kmart or Bunnings shroom kits).

These are actually not at all easy to grow.... :huh:

These are actually not at all easy to grow

I've only grown them from a shroom kit from Kmart many years ago (when I was in my early teens). It wasnt from scratch - pretty much just a case of opening a bag of colonised substrate and letting it fruit in a warm, moist area. I think if you can get it to the colonised point it is an easy one to fruit but getting to that stage is probably riddled with difficulties, so I probably lied in that regard :blush:

Could you expand on your comment for my info? I'm curious to the difficulties involved :)

These are actually not at all easy to grow

I've only grown them from a shroom kit from Kmart many years ago (when I was in my early teens). It wasnt from scratch - pretty much just a case of opening a bag of colonised substrate and letting it fruit in a warm, moist area. I think if you can get it to the colonised point it is an easy one to fruit but getting to that stage is probably riddled with difficulties, so I probably lied in that regard :blush:

Could you expand on your comment for my info? I'm curious to the difficulties involved :)

Yeah for sure man...

I thought you may have been referring to one of those store bought ready-to-go kits - they are great fun and as easy as it gets...

But germinating your own Agaricus bisporus spores is a different story...

This is a quote from 'Workman' from THIS THREAD which explains it a little more -

The spores are reluctant to germinate on agar. There is a trick to get them going. You need to put live mycelium on one edge of the plate and spores on the oppostie edge. The metabolic gases from the live mycelium stimulate quick germination. Otherwise you need to heavily load the plates and hope for at least one volunteer spore to go for it to stimulate the rest. It doesn't always happen. Tissue culture from the store is easier.

And a quick gloogel search found THIS ARTICLE.

And this is an interesting article but doesn't mention the difficulty in germinating spores, rather just outlines how to start a commercial button mushroom farm HERE.