The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

"Lost Peyotes" and other Psychoactive or Medicinal Cacti

These are the beginnings of my rare Mexican cacti collection, they are so much more interesting than columnar cacti. I think i may eventually get sell/swap my big columnar collection for more of these!

My two Strombocactus disciformis (one is a rare twin header) - they seem to never stop flowering, totally awesome. :D

My recently acquired Turbinicarpus valdezianus (left) and Turbinicarpus klinkerianus (right), very cute.

Aw man nice pics! But I'd raise those cacti up out of the soil a little bit more next time you re-pot them, then again I like to plant mine "high".

Cheers man, they are little gems huh?

I like my cacti receded in the soil, like in nature. I just have to be careful with watering them, i have extremely well draining soil high in minerals with a low organic content - with a layer of coarse sand on top. And i only bottom water, which usually keeps the top few mm's of soil totally dry. That second pic was actually taken a few mins after a thorough soaking, as you can see the cacti are pretty safe from any damp soil.

:D

Strombo's are beautiful man, great work. :)

Edit: typo

Edited by KanJe

Love the community pots. Nice to see several plants together, rather than spread out amongst individual pots.

Thanks for the contributions I'd love to see anymore pic of "Lost Peyotl" cacti you guys have!

probably my coolest cactus, is 12 years old leuchtenbergia. seed grown from a 25 yr old plant.

i've had it < 1 year. nice fresh growth on it too

i will treasure it always , these are funky as

post-3770-1259724686_thumb.jpgpost-3770-1259724761_thumb.jpgpost-3770-1259724785_thumb.jpgpost-3770-1259724720_thumb.jpg

part of the attraction with cacti is their slow rates of growth. i like the thought of being 60 yrs old and still in the presence of plants i have grown long ago. beats having a pet

post-3770-1259724686_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724720_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724761_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724785_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724686_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724720_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724761_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1259724785_thumb.jpg

Yeah, flora, I know what you mean. I got a Leuchtenbergia too, maybe half the size/age though.... it seems to like the biggy pot... Havent't transplanted mine since I got it... It's got a taproot??

Here's the real treat you guys are in for when your Leuchtenbergia flowers :wink:

post-3765-1259824990_thumb.jpg

...It CAN be crossed with Lophophora! I've seen pics but I can't remember where!

How convenient.. an extraordinary claim,

backed up by a complete lack of evidence. :rolleyes:

I can't even begin to picture what a hybrid of the two would look like,

and anyway I doubt that they are closely related enough for it to be even possible.

Edited by culebra22

heres an ario leuch hybrid

Reduced 69%

Attached Image

looks like a normal Leutch to me.with all these kinds of hybrids, unless your a lab person, your not going to know until you grow it out and it looks different....flowers are probably best.....but i think that a lot of people call the plants from seeds they crossed hybrids, when they are usually just selfed.... i have crossed many species, but almost none have come out looking like hybrids....

no matter what way we want to look at it, we can only base things on whether it looks convincing morphologically or not....:(

that alst link looks far more convincing,. but with teh dirty gene pool that is astrophytum, i am still suspicious...especially when there are some crazy kikko type mophs. it looks good, but we cant be sure.

hmm I see what you mean Kada, us growers merely looking at the physical appearance of a plant only and making inferences based explicitly on its morphology can only go so far... speculations really.

I thought those ario x leucht in the pic have exceptionally rounded tubercles but maybe that's just me.

Hi all I was wondering if anyone in Australia actually knows of where abouts anyine can get hold of the truly "lost Peyote" Lophophora williamsii? I have looked high and low to no avail... Are they even available without going to Mexico??? Any help would be great and feel free to PM me with anything too. Peace

Lophophora williamsii = "True Peyote"

All other genera of psychoactive button cacti from Mexico = "Lost Peyotes" such as Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus.

Hope that answers your question.

Lophophora williamsii = "True Peyote"

All other genera of psychoactive button cacti from Mexico = "Lost Peyotes" such as Ariocarpus and Turbinicarpus.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks Bro..... You sure did!!!

13 hours ago, Nezahualcoyotl said:

Any updates on the "Lost Peyotes" over the years? 

Naw, we're still looking for 'true blue', ya know, that 'lost 'true blue' yote........

I still have many of the plants growing but I haven't done too much testing since I began traveling. Hope you are all well. 

I wonder if these plants will ever get investigated. Due to me traveling a lot I can't keep these plants like I used to!

Many of them have, its just that negative results dont get the attention positives do.