The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
archaicrevivalist

Australian Canning Jar Supplier

Hey everyone, just letting you know that this place has a couple of different kinds of jars, albeit a bit pricey...

Edited by archaicrevivalist

Very handy - bloody hard to find... :)

K-mart have them on the shelf.

My local K-Mart in rural Victoria has them so i assume they are available at all stores. They are a preserving jar , just like the old ' Fowlers' jars only made in China. Just have a good look around the kitchen ware section and keep a keen eye out for jars, they are there in different sizes.

I haven't seen them in any Kmarts around the city here for at least a year, and when I asked them they said they aren't going to order anymore in.

Plus, the plastic lids they sell on that site (currently sold out) are INVALUABLE and I haven't seen them before in Oz.

man victor im at bondi junction every day i busk there all the time

Edited by guitar_man117

serious? where abouts, in the oxford street mall? i work in the westfield 3-4 days a week!

K-mart have them on the shelf.

in victoria maybe, but i have never seen them anywhere in NSW at least, and I've looked from around Sydney upwards. I've looked in all the Kmarts and Targets and Big W and Coles and Homeware stores..... nothing. it sux.

this afternoon i finally found nice jars to use for the pf tek :D i found them at coles, the only wide mouth jars that there were, if anyone is looking for them they were a french jam called Bonne Mawan they come in a 355 ml jar and are very sexy, they cost $5 each! but if your a perfectionist like me you can't go wrong with them :D

if i ever hear an eagles cover infront of the tea gardens ill say hi ;)

I used to buy jars from the reject shop for $2, they paper thin but big and last a while if your careful. :)

I heard the Kmart jars are made in China and are the fake mason jars.

Not as strong a glass. Anyway Original Mason Jars looks like $25 a dozen.

It's only $2 each and I don't think it's that expensive if you're going to use them

over and over. . . :)

Edit : I'm refering to the

Ball 250ml Regular Mouth Can or Freeze Preserving Jar @ A$25.95

250ml Jars are just right size, not to small not to big.

Edited by mindjeo

my local kmart used to stock them too.....oh what a simplet time...

but yeh, one day they were gone and i asked a sales assistant and she said they had stopped stocking them cause no one buyed them (no one but me that is...)

i've gotten lucky on ebay a couple of times

Fowlers Vacola are still going, their shop is kind of between Royal Park and where the Western Link goes over the road. I can't remember the name of the roag arggh sorry. In Melbourne, when you drive on Flemington Road past the childrens hospital, and then turn left onto the road that comes out of Royal Park and the zoo. Um yeah. Phone book. Duh.

it's late I should be in bed, brain slowdown...

For those on a very tight budget...like moi..you can use the round Chinese takeaway food containers as jars..I found that if you go to any decent variety or $2 store you can buy 10 for $2...they are microwave safe and take a brutal beating in a pot of boiling water...no damage what so ever. If you buy say 20 for $4..what you can do is use the lids that come with the second 10 as doubling lids for your grain jars...so you syringe through the first lid and then snap on the second lid over it for an airtight double insulated and contam free jar. The beauty of these containers is that they are cheap as fuck and have that wide mouth opening to spit out the cake.

On another side point recently a friend of mine had great success using good old soup mix bought from the supermarket as the grain for his jars. 1x bag of soup mix $1.85..and $2 for the Chinese containers...pretty cheap and cheerful way to go I reckon.

H.

No need for anything more than a generic "chefcraft" (or whatever brand your local $2 shop/supermarket stock) clear plastic cylindrical containers (no neck). Come in assorted sizes, cheap as chips.

I've used various types of these for years and all were excellent in seal, pc-durability, and contam-resistance over time (scratching).

ed