The Corroboree
Torsten

Kava to become S4 [prescription only]

Interesting point Auxin, Nabraxas thanks for reminding me about this, i mentioned in the recent biofuel thread that i had HEARD of people getting in trouble for evading tax on fuel by making their own biodiesel. Not sure if its true but similar concept.

Auxin, you too raise a really interesting point, but i think the difference is, the old lady and her canned peaches aren't breaking any other law, where as growing pot would still be against the law and hence if they caught you im sure they would stick you to the fullest extent of the law.

Peace,

Mind

The only taxed products [that are not restricted by other laws] you are not allowed to produce yourself in australia are tobacco and ethanol. Producing these will get you slammed with back taxes, plus penalties, and depending on the quantity maybe even jail. All other taxed products are fair game.

Thanks Torsten, who thinks that if MJ became legal they would keep its production illegal? I think they would personally.

Peace,

Mind

Excellent. No longer will I have to fear kava addicts breaking into my home to fund their next fix. I feel safer already. Bless our government.

Aww! On my birthday too! What a crappy present. *mopes*

First they take away our pipes, now this! Time to move to a finer land...

The only taxed products [that are not restricted by other laws] you are not allowed to produce yourself in australia are tobacco and ethanol. Producing these will get you slammed with back taxes, plus penalties, and depending on the quantity maybe even jail. All other taxed products are fair game.

Fuel too...

http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/biodiesel/excise_legal.htm

Edited by FungalFractoids

this is redicious isnt it. :slap: In my response to this issue /does anyone know of a great importer/supplier in which i would use to get a lot of kava before august. any ideas. thanks (i know is prob a stupid question but i have only bought this from herbal shops in the past.)

peace

this is redicious isnt it. :slap: In my response to this issue /does anyone know of a great importer/supplier in which i would use to get a lot of kava before august. any ideas. thanks (i know is prob a stupid question but i have only bought this from herbal shops in the past.)

peace

konakavafarm.com seems pretty good, with excellent prices (far cheaper than the competition)

konakavafarm.com seems pretty good, with excellent prices (far cheaper than the competition)

ummm, you are forgetting the import ban it seems. Importing kava without license [no licenses issued unless you are in pharma] is a customs drug import offence.

Just realised it's only 2 months to go until kava is banned. We've got a bit more stock than I thyink we can sell in that time, so I am putting it on special NOW. See the webstore.

I've also got one 5 kilo bag of fiji kava available at $300 for the bag [plus postage]. Not in the webstore - just PM me.

edit: Note that the specials will only be available until we get to a stock level I am confident we will sell out by the due date. We're only about 20% overstocked, so this adjustment won't take long.

Cool torsten,nice deal, ill be picking up a bag or two.

A questain about the ban tho, is it all states? just wanna make sure, dont think it was mentioned.

yes, this is a TGA ruling which means it is a national ban. Selling kava past this date will be like selling any other prescription pills, ie quite severe penalties.

does this affect the 2kg import restriction? is this still allowed and will it be after august 1st?

The way that is written you need to go to a doctor to get a presciption. Be sure to charge the Doctors visit for the bit of paper for your kava to Medi-Care. But where do you by it once you have done all that?

could be quite a good business for a compounding pharmacist who decides to stock plain kava.

could be quite a good business for a compounding pharmacist who decides to stock plain kava.

Indeed. If kava was a "let’s all get really sh*tfaced" product the compounding chemist would be a certain result. But it is not, in beverage form it is a social relaxant that is shared among friends and strangers who will soon be friends during kava.

In Vanuatu we finish work at 4.30 and all head to the kava bars for a few shells. Travel time 5 minutes. We are generally all finish by 6ish, then it is home or out for a light dinner, nothing strenuous. The commercial kava bars are open to all adults, no matter what your origins, language or sex. There are around 180 licensed ones in Port Vila alone with a 30,000 population. Kava bars are peaceful, no music, no loud voices, no flashing lights and annoying poker machines and OMG you can laugh and relax and have a cigarette if you want. Zero aggressive behaviour and zero sexual harassment. You can share your day with others, or choose to sit quiet and enjoy the calm. You could be sitting beside a Government Minister, an ambulance driver, a chief, a waitress or a nurse. Everyone will happily mix and if you want your own space it is respected. Try attaining that scene on alcohol, or petrol. It is impossible. Kava bars is what the aboriginal communities need. Kava bars and shown how it is done. Not pushed into yet another corner and left empty and confused and have Australia bully out the rest of the Pacific Islands and alienate them too with a stupid ban based on NO health issue. We drink the "recommended" dosage for one week in one average consumption afternoon. If it was health ½ the entire population of the Pacific would be dead or horribly ill.

This is a wealth issue. Follow the money when something is not making sense and work out who stands to gain and who loses.

My 2 vatu worth for the day.

isnt the issue that adding alcohol gets someone shitfaced and so people who would not abuse it are having their access restricted?

t s t .

isnt the issue that adding alcohol gets someone shitfaced and so people who would not abuse it are having their access restricted?

t s t .

I only wish the issue was that simple. Unfortunately it is not, and no one in the Australian Government can give the same answer more than once, that is if they bother to even try and answer and are not too busy “looking into it” and no one will give a straight answer. I repeat my mantra. Follow the money here. Get serious and curious and ask. If no one can smell a dead stinking rat festering in a dark corner they have lost their sense of smell completely. What is about to happen is simply not above board. It is a fair as a black mans bum, transparent as mud and as scientific as the tooth fairy.

A legal opinion on a question I asked:-

Question:

As a prescription can kava then fall under “personal use” amounts being allowed in as for other medications. What would be 3 months supply, who defines that? Hopefully not the miserable 400 gms of something kava, per adult per week. Prescriptions defined as personal use should also allow post of same and order via Internet from overseas, which is currently subject to customs boarder control.

Answer:-

1. Doctors cannot write a prescription because I want to have a kava party any more than I want to have a blood pressure pill party. They will be deregistered. They need a medical condition that is treatable by kava

2. One cannot get a prescription for kava any more than you can have a prescription for any other raw ingredient of any pharmaceutical. It needs to be a known amount of a known substance of a known concentration of a known active ingredient.

3. Only kava pills or extracts can therefore be prescribed.

4. Kava pills are banned

5. It is a total ban on the supply of kava by another name.

6. Only a pharmacist may dispense prescription items – fine to sell kava $55k

7. It is a criminal offence to give one’s kava (assuming one had some) to another person unless you are a pharmacist. Kava bars and circles are therefore illegal and contravention can lead to imprisonment for 2 years or a $55,000 fine or both

8. So, no you cannot bring in 3 month’s supply any more than you can bring in however much raw opium to make into panadien.

I know for a fact that some of these statements are wrong. I went through similar crap with the scheduling of tryptophan several years ago, so I have some experience.

Question:

Prescriptions defined as personal use should also allow post of same and order via Internet from overseas, which is currently subject to customs boarder control.

if you have a prescription and if there are no other customs controls on that substance then there is no reason why you can't import your own medicine.

Answer:-

1. Doctors cannot write a prescription because I want to have a kava party any more than I want to have a blood pressure pill party. They will be deregistered. They need a medical condition that is treatable by kava

Agreed.

2. One cannot get a prescription for kava any more than you can have a prescription for any other raw ingredient of any pharmaceutical. It needs to be a known amount of a known substance of a known concentration of a known active ingredient.

This is a misconception I believe. Most doctors will probably follow this 'rule', but I have not come across any law that actually dictates this.

For example, whenever I have found a doctor who was willing to give me a script for tryptophan, that doctor would also write the script as 1 kilo bulk, with a daily dose. The 1 kilo bulk was required because my overseas supplier was the only source for it. I have done a similar thing for melatonin. The limit here is that the total amount may not exceed the total doses for 12 months.

3. Only kava pills or extracts can therefore be prescribed.

If the opinion above at #2 is correct, then all that is required is standardisation. Analysing a batch of kava powder can produce the same reliable standardisation as is done with extracts. The script would then have to match the analysis values.

4. Kava pills are banned

Huh? They are available in pharmacies right now and will be in future.

5. It is a total ban on the supply of kava by another name.

No, it is a total ban on kava EXCEPT when processed by pharmaceutical companies.

While I have no idea how the import and customs situation will look by the time August rolls around, I have however already found a loophole in the kava scheduling that will allow possession of kava. I won't be sharing it until the law actually comes into effect, but you might want to check back here before you go turfing it on the 1st of august :lol:

Thanks. I will have that information rechecked with the points you raised. You can see where I am from. This is one MAJOR concern for us.

I wonder if the South sea Islander community are aware that a vital part of their cultural/social way of life will be denied them come August. They need to lobby the current Government. This is religous discrimination

I've got another 4 kilo bag of Fiji kava available if anyone wants to get some bulk. $240 plus shipping. it's not in the webstore, so just PM or email me.