The Corroboree
teonanacatl

IMPORTANT LEGAL INFO

As of March 2008 all Lophophora sp are specifically stated in the QLD drug legislation as being illegal. This means that the growing of Lophophora sp is considered an offence just like growing cannabis.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN...008/08AC004.pdf

I therefore urge you to not incriminate yourself or others in regards to this issue.

Also as the drug law in QLD is worded such that plants that contain illegal substances are therefore illegal and as Torsten will attest this has been enforced I will not allow discussion on potency of any mescaline bearing cacti, nor on methods to increase potency, or for that matter any questions on injestion of such substances. There is one exception and that is the linking to or discussion of scientific literature on the subject. We are treading a fine line and as all this information exists on this website and others where people can easily search for it I see discussion of it as a mute point.

Unfortunatly ACT has laws specifically prohibiting the cultivation or possession of Lophophora willamsii, meaning diffusa is ok to grow.

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/sl/2005-.../pdf/2005-2.pdf

People from ACT should really look at that as there is quite a list of illegal plants.

SA has laws which specifically prohibits the cultivation of any plant containing mescaline including any plant of the genus Lophophora.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp...uery=^mescaline

Edited by teonanacatl
  • Like 1

Fucking typical! God there are some know nothing know it all bone heads in positions of power.

Dread to think that siezed cactus would be confiscated and destroyed

ok Ive left this thread open and not locked it to allow some replies, BUT yes it is stupid and they dont know anything etc etc blah blah but it is now the law so please only contribute if yoou have something constructive, sound fair?

my deepest condolences

this is shocking to me i find it hard to accept

hope all is well

:o

I was reading an issue of Cactus World the Journal of the BCSS and the author remarked upon the Russian findings that Lophophora has ten species.

The PDF of the article is online.

Presumably the substances mentioned in the law were all tested by Australias parliamentary panel of Experts and not simply plagiarized from Mr Shulgins books.

It's a real shame that the law is an ass,maybe one day the fashion in Government will not be one of alienation.

Yea i saw Torstens thread about this aswell. im not in queensland, but im sure ittle spread, there must be something people power can do? anything??

Sorry to hear that everyone. :BANGHEAD2:

One day you're a law abiding citizen,the next you're a criminal.Absurd! :angry:

That was one aspect of Australia I've always been envious of,Lophophora was legal to cultivate.

Time to exist in the shadows with your plants.

Sorry.

Maybe Cactus society members should be immune?

The society pays a dollar on behalf of it's members for the permit.

These are Heirloom plants after all,with still the possibility of admiring decendants of plants from the earliest collected specimens.

As well as those forms still being brought into cultivation,by way of wild or cultured seed.

If one wishes to perfect a form tor simply have large plants then grafting as with any other cactus is the tool to be used.

At English shows the Lophophora often has a catagory all it's own and is recognised as a gateway cactus for the hobby of cactus cultivation and conservation for several decades now.

Some come to Cactus without knowledge of Peyote and yet you can be sure a fellow cactus connoiseur will furnish them with one and a potted history.

Clearly they acted in error and now the Cactus cultivation as a hobby will be reaping what they have sown.

Their seeds fall on stony ground indeed.

And yet you can still be eaten by a croc or shark,gutted by an emu,bludgeoned by a Roo,stung by a Jellyfish or Octopus,speared by a Ray,bitten by a snake or spider,or simply encounter a Bastard.

Edited by Garbage
  • Like 2

Realized how much this post could lead off topic., edited.

Edited by naja naja

Can't seem to see Datura or Brugs on that list..

Funny how they would mention them in the "Talking to your kids about drugs" (as common names for mushrooms mind you), but not include them in the act...

Damn.

So because it's illegal in QLD, even those of us in the other states are barred from its discussion?

re cactus societies, please keep in mind that the Qld cactus society has not tolerated Lophophora cultivation for several decades and it has been prohibited to show them at meetings. So don't expect any help from them.

• Like 2

Twenty years from now times may have changed and some real monsters will be hitting the show bench.

The Benches will groan under the weight of so much repressed joy.

I guess it remains to be seen.

When was the last time a banned drug was re-legalized in england?

Its been 75 years since that happened in my country and the drug was one that made people into mindless complacent worker drones and petty criminals, both of which gives more power to the government. Good luck getting a mind-expanding drug legalized in your (or a trees) lifetime.

• Like 1

So because it's illegal in QLD, even those of us in the other states are barred from its discussion?

Discussion on Lophs and trichs is fine, so is cultivation, photos, collections etc I just wont take any discussion on potency, preparation or injestion of any mescaline bearing cacti. At least not untill all are illegal in all states, its perhaps the only thing we can do to help make sure the other states do not become the same and also soas not to wake the dogs in reagards to trichs. Does that sound fair? Plus there is plenty of info about that on the net already.

And exactly what Auxin said, we would have more luck gaining permission to grow and not even ingest if it was for religous reasons, even then it would be hard.

Updated to include SA.

Edited by teonanacatl

I do not know of any drugs that became unprohibited,i have not really had the inclination to find out.

I can tell you about our current governments interests.

Do you really want or need to know these details?

If so read on.

Behviours found to cause no offence to the incumbents were a whole bunch of sex crimes including Bestiality and Incest,moving swiftly on we find they no longer considered Treason a crime.

Strange bedfellows indeed.

Will their roving eye fall upon the Cactus world?

When it comes to crime they would seem to follow the copycat methodology,it remains to be seen whether one of their bright sparks feels political milleage can be had by impressing his peers by raising an issue that requires an edict.

It's not as if the BBC or the rag peddlars have been raising a stink about Peyote fuelled crime in the UK so prohibiting Lophophora could only really be banned as part of sweeping new laws that MP's do not debate rationally in the commons.

So yes,it is mildly concerning.

We are a tiny minority, your average person is not affected by such a law so really it doesnt matter to anyone. Almost every hobby has rules which they wish the government would change, we are no different.

Assuming the number of members here represents half the number of people growing lophs in aus then that is 0.025% of the population of australia. So yes they suck but knowone cares because we are such a minority.

I can say i have Lophophora,Epithelantha,Ariocarpus,Astrophytum,Trichocereus,Gymnocalycium,Agave,

Opuntia,Homalocephala,Ferocactus,Notocactus,Mammillaria.

Most of which grown from seed sourced from a family business in the UK.

If i were a rich man i would have an awful lot more.

This year i try my hand at more Ariocarpus,Astrophtum,some free large flowering Trichocereus,Turbinicarpus,Thelocactus,Echinocactus,Epithelantha,Lophophora.

The Epithelantha and Lophophora i grow from my own plants seeds,i am looking for mutants.

Quite what i will do with them in a few years needs to be addressed,in the past a Cancer Charity had a lot of Mammillaria hybrids.

Maybe i keep the odd ones and the Cactus club bring and buy take the rest.

If you can find an issue with the behaviour i describe let your MP know without delay,or perhaps you are an MP's assistant gathering data for you bosses opinion on the matter?

If so don't let them go to debate half cocked,and certainly suggest they resist the undemocratic parties whip hands.

• Like 1

A long time ago someone said something like

The price of good people's indifference to politics is that they are ruled by evil people.

• Like 2

Theres also a bible quote,

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

The coolest fortune cookie I ever read stated- "A society which creates laws creates criminals".

I mean how many of you actually eat peyote?!

Probably very few!

Honest answer,none,never. i dont even have one in my collection yet..my main concern with these laws are that they can be passed so easily and quickly with nearly no mention till its too late. sets a precedent if you know what i mean, Whats next? and when? and why?! we wont know till its too late it seems.

It looks like they are slowly adding all of Australia to the list. What parts of AU are Loph still legal to cultivate in?