The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Epithelantha micromeris bioassay

It's the Iranian New Year (nowroz) today!

To celebrate, I'm going to eat them tonight at the celebrations and see what happens.

Scored it off Hamiltons in a tiny tiny pot July last year. Eventually potted it up into straight premium potting mix and it's been going really strong.

You reckon thats long enough for systemics to subside? It's been getting tapwater and rainwater ever since I got it. I'm only eating the fruits of course...

Will probably try anyway :P Post back tomorrow with results...

Nice looking plant. How big is it? Hard to tell from the photo.

happy new year bro

Ok, I ate 5 fruits, with a minimum of 3 and maximum of 5 seeds per fruit (I ate the seeds to make sure they weren't the psychoactive component).

Nothing. Zip, nada, bubkis.

Maybe you need to eat like, one hundred million fruits or something.

I ended up exceptionally drunk, for the first time in probably two or three years. What fun.

The Epithelantha is on the right track with it's many tasty fruits,it would not have survived if it had laden them with toxins.

My four plants are begining to fruit this year,usually the have scores of them.

Whilst removing dead flower remains from my Lophophora i also noticed pink swellings forming,actually a few dead flowers came away with half a juvenile pod with red seeds within.

I was looking at seeds through a x10 loupe and now i want a microscope!

I sow about 200 epithelantha and about 500 Lophophora,no space for that many abult plants in the greenhouse however.

Also i try something new with a cut trichocereus,i cut it with a pruning saw and then scraped off the pulp with my Victorinox,an hour or so later i very lightly singed it with a lighter.

Do you plan a bioassay of the cactus flesh? I was under the impression that was the active bit.

And nowruz. Why have I never heard of Nowruz!! New years day on spring equinox!?! Thats the only logical 'new years' I've ever heard of. First day of spring = new year! I Want Nowruz! I'm gonna write my congressman or the dalai lama or something.

Sounds like it would beat the shit out of easter too. Eggs and little fluffy baby rabbits sounds like spring to me, not autumn. bah

auxin,these fruit are similar to the mamillaria fruit said to be traditionally used as an athletic doping agent.....was there a dose in rastch?15?

how to separate the flesh from the seed?mamilaria seed is like dust!

sina,your discription of your enjoyable night makes me wonder about the effects of a low dose of empathogen peas combined with alkahol?

t s t .

Aw man...

I thought somebody actually had the balls to eat the cactus when I read the title!

For the 100th time...

I can provide plant matieral to anyone willing to bioassy one of the "Lost Peyotes".

Pick one of the following-

Ariocarpus agavoides

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus

Ariocarpus retusus

Astrophytum asterias

Astrophytum myriostigma

Aztekium ritterii

Carnegiea gigantea

Coryphantha compacta

Coryphantha elephantidens

Coryphantha macromeris

Echinocactus platyacanthus (Echinocactus visnaga)

Echinocereus salm-dyckianus (Echinocereus scheeri)

Echinocereus polyacanthus

Epithalantha micromeris

Mammillaria grahamii

Mammillaria heyderi

Mammillaria (Dolichothele) longimamma

Mammillaria pectinifera (Solisia pectinata)

Mammillaria (Mamillopsis) senilis

Mammillaria sonorensis (Mammillaria craigii)

Matucana madisoniorum

Neoraimondia macrostibas

Obregonia denegrii

Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum

Pachycereus pringlei

Pelecyphora aselliformis

Strombocactus disciformis

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus (Pelecyphora pseudopectinata)

Anybody up for it?

Its too bad your not willing, it could save alot of postage :P

My dog "biassayed" a bit of Matucana madisinorium :o I couldn't stay mad. She thinks she's a vegetalista 'cuz she sees me grazing on various plants. Now all the poisonous/valuable plants go in the front yard :P One that she keeps going back to is the Lion's Tail in the back yard. Whenever she's really bored, she eats some leaves, pukes, and lays around with a glazed look for an hour or so. I'm not sure if it's a plea for attention or a 'cure' for boredom :lol:

But back to the Matucana. She thought it made a good ball and chewed it up nicely, ingesting some chunks. Then she proceeded to run in circles by herself in the yard frantically 'til she fell over grinning. Maybe she's just crazy, but I've never seen that behavior from her before or after that. I'll ask her about it if you want, but I don't think dogs have good memory of specific situations :lol:

p.s. Auxin, I found out that my lady has been buying non-abrasive tennis balls specifically for dogs so she's way ahead of me :wub:

Well I'll be damned, thats a good idea.

I wonder if they come in glow-in-the-dark

Well I'll be damned, thats a good idea.

I wonder if they come in glow-in-the-dark

I assume you're talking about the tennis ball, not the Matucana :lol: I dunno, but she's been getting ones that are about 3/4 scale of a normal tennis ball and have a squeaky built in. My little vegetalista goes apeshit for them. How very organically hippy of her :P I'll find out the name and PM you.