The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Ebay Rippoff! User Hallilusions!

Hi Guys,

i have been ripped of from yome guy on ebay who sold ethnobotanical books! The Users name was Hallilusions and i lost about 1500 USD! The Guy is from the US and i have his full name and adress! It´s too late to get my money back via paypal so what can i do? The problem is that i´m from europe but i plan to hire some private Incasso Company which is located in the states! What can i do? bye Eg

If your e-bay account is linked with a visa or mastercard couldn't you go directly to the credit card company rather than paypal? I don't know much about these things but would hope that the cc company would reimburse you and persue the bad debt from the seller. I hope it works out, best of luck.

US$1500, OUCH! must have been a lot of books!

You poor bugger, I hope you can sort it out.

What kind of a trading history does he have? how many sales, negative comments etc?

If your e-bay account is linked with a visa or mastercard couldn't you go directly to the credit card company rather than paypal? I don't know much about these things but would hope that the cc company would reimburse you and persue the bad debt from the seller. I hope it works out, best of luck.

Unfortunately you've only got 30 days to dispue with the credit card Co. and it seems as though you're past that time. sorry to hear this. spread the criminals name where ever you can. Sorry

in australia you can dispute cc transactions for at least 6 months, so maybe ask your cc company first as the chargeback periods seem to differ between countries. be careful though as it might cause problems with your paypal account [ie, clean it out first, block any paypal access to any of your cards and accounts and be ready for it to be closed].

If you used a different paypal funding method [eg balance or bank account] then the only way to get it back is to sue.

how come you left it more than 60 days without making a paypal claim? I thought that was the point of using paypal.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies! The Problem was that i trusted this guy. This was the first time that something like this has happened to me! It shattered my trust in ebay and paypal and i´ll probably wont use ebay again! The person sold a shitload of real cool and rare books over the period of months. I wanted to make one big shipping in order to save shipping costs!

Torsten, do you think i have a chance with sueing? bye Eg

yes. definitely.

In the US lawyers are very expensive and lawsuits can take lots of their time, if he honestly believes you will sue him he may just give you the money because it would likely be cheaper than the fight even if he thought he would win in the end. $1500 would only buy him 3 hours with a good private attorney here... or 10 hours with a bad one.

Good to see you around EG, I thought you had vanished a few days after waking up covered in blood :o

I've heard lots of stories about paypal. They have been known to take the side of a buyer saying he never got the item when the seller had a signed receipt from the post office. Other times they take the side of the seller and remove money from your account. Their nastiest habit is of taking money from your bank account if they think you owe it. That can be hard to stop. It's a convenience but never leave any large amounts in it.

What about ebay's buyer protection policy? Look into that.

Edited by Stonehenge

Hi Auxin, i´m glad being around! My blackout scared me a little bit but i´m a hardliner. Actually it cant get weird enough for me! Atm i´m catching up all the old stuff and trades that i´ve missed in the last months :innocent_n: Dont worry friends, it wont take longer than a year or two... :P I´m Surely just kidding. Just like my friend trout once used to say...I´m slow but i´m constantly moving!

This time i plan to stay a little bit longer before i´ll vanish again. Next week i´m ordering another Greenhouse for my Cacti! This one will have a heater! New pics and ethnobotanical articles will follow soon! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Hey EG,

I currently work for a international debt collection agency, and have worked on a few cases like yours, simply search on google 'debt collection companies' and you will get a full list of different agencies and what they specialize in, and what suits your debt and circumstances.

My suggestion would be that before you spend the money on a lawsuit (although is it the case that if you won he'd have to pay for legal fees?) you should tell him that you are going to if he doesn't return the money, if you have his full name and adress, and even just his ebal username you have enough to track him down one way or another, perhaps the federal police in the USA would be interested in the case but I don't know if they'd cover these sorts of scammers or if they just do major international type ones. Either way, if you can convince him that you are going to sue, he might just realise that he's at a loss and send you back your cash, otehrwise you may well just have to take him to court or get a debt collector to go and break some thumbs lol.

Peace and good luck, this sounds like a really shit thing to happen so I hope you can get it all sorted.

Mind

You have his full name and address?

Get his phone number (white pages online)....call him up and see what the problem is, threaten legal action.

If you used a credit card and or paypal then you should be able to report the fraud to them and they will get the ball rolling with the legal action.

Good luck!

(all else fails, you could always recruit a Stateside member to find the guy ;) )

Thanks for your Ideas! Some are pretty good! I´ll check with my lawyer which way the best is! Thanks for offering help! I might come back to you later as soon as i know whats the best option!

I´ll also try to reach the person as he isnt responding at all since a few months. bye Eg

A timely post.

I am thinking of going with paypal or googlepay as a payment medium, internet ordered eyeglasses cost 30$ U.S..

Without health insurance costs 130 too 300$ for the same thing.

One thing is laywers fees are alot more expensive then using a debt collection agency, but look around before taking up an agency as some have better track records and fare more competitive prices then others.