The Corroboree

these are incredible, your dad must have such a steady hand and alot of patience!

you must be very proud :)

• Like 1

Edited by ballzac
video removed

DId your dad do acid in his younger days ?

EDIT: sorry if he says so, I cant understand the audio per your garbled comment, and theres no subtitles :(

Edited by Psylo Dread

That's weird. They show up for me. Not much point in subtitles if only the uploader can see them :confused:

DId your dad do acid in his younger days ?

EDIT: sorry if he says so, I cant understand the audio per your garbled comment, and theres no subtitles :(

He has tried some psychedelics, but I don't think he really got much out of it, and for that reason I don't think it's been much of an influence. My guess is that it's because he doesn't need chemicals in order to be a trippy dude :wink:

Do you guys have the little "CC" icon, just to the left of the "change quality" 'cog' on the youtube player? And if so, is it red? If it's not red, click on it to enable the subtitles.

That works. Didnt realise they could be turned on/off. Thanks

I always like to find media that I think will work well with my Dad's style of art, but that he would never think to use. The flourescent pink that he ended up using in the Buddha in post #23 is one example. He's always reluctant to try them out, but always manages to put them to very good use. The latest was glitter paint that I got him. He started using it and thought it was going to end up looking kitsch, so he said he would give me the painting once it's finished, but as the painting is taking shape, he's starting to really like the effect he's getting from the glitter paint, and regrets telling me I could have it :lol:. I think it works really well. It suits the eastern aesthetic as it looks kind of bejeweled.

The form for this was borrowed from someone else's work, just something he found online I think. But he's managed to make it all his own in his characteristic pointillist style:

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

• Like 4

Finally finished :)

painting.jpg

• Like 7

That is some serious skill your dad has mate. Loving his linear Buddha painting! That is alot of work I see, big respect.

• Like 1

Amazing pictures, your dad is a pro!

• Like 1

What sort of paint does he use? And if I understand from the comments above these are all dots/stippling like a scrimshaw?

What sort of paint does he use?

Acrylic

And if I understand from the comments above these are all dots/stippling like a scrimshaw?

Well, some of the ones on the first page use more conventional methods, but the first Buddha uses some lines and lots of dots, and the other one in the first post, as well as the second buddha, as well as this most recent painting are done with a combination of lines and dots. The close ups in post #12 show how the larger features are made of lines and dots, much like a printed image.

Does he use a paint brush? How big are these paintings? They are awesome !

Does he use a paint brush? How big are these paintings? They are awesome !

Yeah, he just uses a very fine brush.

They vary in size. The Buddha is pretty large. At a guess I'd say it's about a meter wide. This latest one is roughly 35x45cm.

Excellence!

I am also a (professional) artist.

I am impressed.

And I do not say that often.

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

Holy shit I've never seen such incredible art. Your dad is amazing. Sorry I just gave you a heap of notifications, Your dads a genius.

• Like 1

Just wow. :o

• Like 1

Astonishing and incredible precision. is it painted using oil paint? Or a pen of some sort?
BTW the portraits are also so energetic, almost seem like they are moving out of their 2D form.

• Like 1

Astonishing and incredible precision. is it painted using oil paint? Or a pen of some sort?

BTW the portraits are also so energetic, almost seem like they are moving out of their 2D form.

It's all done using acrylic paint. He's never been too comfortable with the properties of oil paint.

amazing stuff, i really like lots of dot work or line work and can really appreciate the blood & sweat that goes in.

cheers for posting

• Like 1