The Corroboree
DayLight

Active Salvia Database

oh! no man, not frivolous at all. if i found that saliva id be stoked to try it. so go for it, but try nemorosa first if possible. i know a guy that gets no effects off any salvia spp. besides s div, so trying an already confirmed active salvia species would be good so if there are no effects from the one you have there you can rule out being a hardhead. or if the nemmy does NOTHING, give the foliage to someone else to sample.

i think thats a promising looking plant.

Any reports on S. stenophylla? I was browsing a catalog and happened to find a reference to it that sounded promising

Salvia stenophylla

'MOSISILI'. Spikes of small light blue flowers in summer. Sticky aromatic tender perennial to 2 feet. S. Africa. Used as a smudge by the Southern Sotho to purify their homes, and they also mix it with their tobacco. Germinates in 1 - 4 weeks.

Granted this is from a region that claims 60 different plants as lighning repellant :lol: but its also where many new effective medicines are being found.

Any reports on S. stenophylla? I was browsing a catalog and happened to find a reference to it that sounded promisingGranted this is from a region that claims 60 different plants as lighning repellant :lol: but its also where many new effective medicines are being found.

The dominant compounds in the S. stenophylla oils include: α-bisabolol (46.5%), limonene (38.1%), δ-3-carene (24.9%), γ-terpinene (20.3%), p-cymene (18.4%) and (E)-nerolidol (53.6%).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa40..._n17173924/pg_1

A little more info on Salvia sclarea:

Part used: Herb

Constituents: -Volatile oil, about 0.1%, consisting mainly of linalyl acetate, with linalool, B-pinene, B-myrcene, phellandrene.......

-Diterpene alcohols manool and sclareol

Medical Use: Antispasmodic, balsamic. Usually used in digestive disorders and for kidney diseases. The oil has been reported to be anticonvulsant in animals and to potentiate the effects of some hypnotics. The mucilage of the seeds as well as a decoction of the herb has been used in ophthalmic preparations.

REF: page 78: Potter's Cyclopedia of Botanical Drugs and Preparations; R.C. Wren; 1998.

Cool thread. Here's some articles I found appropriate to post:

1: The pharmacological effects of salvia species on the central nervous system

2: Investigation of in vitro opioid receptor binding activities of some turkish salvia species

3: Review of the pharmacological an toxicological effects of Salvia leriifolia

4: Effects of hydroalcoholic extract from Salvia verticillata on pharmacological models of seizure, anxiety and depression in mice

5: Bioactive triterpenoids from Salvia species

The_Pharmacological_Effects_of_Salvia_species.pdf

36-RNP-1008-306.pdf

Hoseinzadeh.pdf

IJPR9731312351200.pdf

Bioactive_Triterpenoids_from_Salvia_Species.pdf

36-RNP-1008-306.pdf

Hoseinzadeh.pdf

IJPR9731312351200.pdf

36-RNP-1008-306.pdf

Hoseinzadeh.pdf

IJPR9731312351200.pdf

Salvia elegens is a superb-looking plant. Love their flowers.

It is also definately a mild sedative and quite potent hypotensive.

2 leaves of microphylla under the tongue..

effects.. 'yuk'.. lol..

and also some very cool insights developed over the course of the afternoon.

I got the sense from the 'flavour', and my intuition she'd be good brewed/alcohol extracted. dunno.

It certainly changed my consciousness, and if only very slightly- that is enough for this voyager.

I can personally confirm that Salvia 'Indigo Spires' is active. The effects (for me anyway) are: Feeling of content and happiness. Don't quote me though. :rolleyes:

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist

Any experiences with salvia miltiorrhiza?

Tried Salvia miltiorrhiza two days ago: 500 mg of 8:1 extract. It doesn't have a recreational value, but it sure knocks you out, a great sleeping aid! I also thinks it numbs the pain. I should try it next time I have muscle pain instread of pills/weed/kratom.

Pretty impressed by the powerful effect. (and I'm not easily impressed)

Edited by amanito

That would be root extract... itd be interesting to find out what the leaves might do

Yes it was.

Anyone where growing the plant? Cool color those roots ...

SageChineseSalvia%20MiltiorrhizaDanShenRoot.jpg

I should use my wife her pubmedaccount to find some articles, but she doesn't want to have traces on these kind of things, ugh.

• Like 1

wow!!! got to grow this one now!!! beautiful!

I should use my wife her pubmedaccount to find some articles, but she doesn't want to have traces on these kind of things, ugh.
:lol: Its a common medicine for heart disease, it has essentially no connection to recreational use in the literature. Just check out the medical uses section on its pfaf entry, the only clue that it could have a intoxicant effect is its use for insomnia.. so theres a keyword to use.

Anyone where growing the plant? Cool color those roots ...

I have a few seedlings, not doing much at the moment. Will plant them out in spring and hopefully get some root, and seed..

I can personally confirm that Salvia 'Indigo Spires' is active. The effects (for me anyway) are: Feeling of content and happiness. Don't quote me though. :rolleyes:

I will also vouch for this, I have a rather large bush in my garden and the new shoots that it is putting out are all square stems.

A simple leaf extract produced a very dark almost black (green) goo.

Definitely mood lifting and levels out to a mild euporia

I've heard it said that in addition to the activity of Salvia miltiorrhiza roots the leaves are also smokable as a mild sedative and a sedative potentiator and the seeds are allegedly stimulant. I cant confirm any of that yet but I do plan to grow it this year smile.gif

that would be neat, stim and sedative in the same plant :)

I have several sages growing in my yard but have not experimented with them yet i am letting them grow. And normally work ends up commandeering my sweet ones for dessert garnishes. Some are flowering beautifully at present with nice red flowers.

Edited by DarkSpark

Anyone knows how much dried root one plant gets?

Here are some pictures of my indigo spires plant showing the square stem and variety in leaves from the one plant

post-7855-0-84143200-1339228896_thumb.jp

post-7855-0-99325800-1339228913_thumb.jp

Stem

post-7855-0-81320800-1339228930_thumb.jp

Leaves

post-7855-0-89872400-1339228951_thumb.jp

Ethos.

post-7855-0-84143200-1339228896_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-99325800-1339228913_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-81320800-1339228930_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-89872400-1339228951_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-84143200-1339228896_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-99325800-1339228913_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-81320800-1339228930_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-89872400-1339228951_thumb.jpg

I've moved my S. cocceana and S. africana-lutea under lights and man are they putting out some odours! They had maybe 10% of the aroma before I moved them under lights. The cocceana smells absolutely gross, cannot compare it to anything, I have a rule not to much against this! The africana-lutea smells very funky also, but a guilty yum/gross smell, similar to smelling your bellybutton.... (yeh I'm a freak)

D00d