The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

Rooting with honey and vegemite

I was in my Home Hardware store today and bought some Rootex rooting powder for propogating some cuttings. The woman at the counter said "have you tried honey?" Not sure if this was a pick up line (but hopeful, she was a real looker!), I said 'pardon?' She went on to explain that honey and vegemite are just as good if not better than commercial powders and gel for root propogation. I'm going to do a control experiment to find out, but I was just wondering if anybody else had heard of these 'alternative' sources?

I was in my Home Hardware store today and bought some Rootex rooting powder for propogating some cuttings. The woman at the counter said "have you tried honey?" Not sure if this was a pick up line (but hopeful, she was a real looker!), I said 'pardon?' She went on to explain that honey and vegemite are just as good if not better than commercial powders and gel for root propogation. I'm going to do a control experiment to find out, but I was just wondering if anybody else had heard of these 'alternative' sources?

that bitch needs to be fired.... I have heard of the honey, I have never tried it myself though.

Rooting with honey and vegemite

Strawberries and chocolate are more fun :lol:

There are things in honey that can really help with rooting and I know some people who swear by it. Vegemite however is unlikely. The sodium content alone would cause problems and the concept that vitB helps plants is a bit unlikely as plants don't absorb most complex organic molecules too well. Vegemite was touted as a growth aid by pot growers from the last generation, which might be where that equally unlikely concept comes from.

vegemite and honey work fine, we have done prop experiments at tafe using coleus(which would root without either applied no doubt)

and had success with both which was equal to the more expensive rooting hormone powders and liquids. Manuka honey would be my choice funds permitting.

i think hormones are a bogus waste of money, as the plants produce their own quite naturally at the cut sites, i think the honey and the vegemite would prevent infections(honey being a sterile,antiseptic, i would like to put my 2 buks that vegemite works on the same pretense) entering the wounds and let the plants own hormones do their own thing. Pete Cundall of GA fame has thrown his sup[port behind both honey and vegemite and what that guy dont know about gardening/prop aint worth knowing. Ive just done a shitload of caapi cuts using 'black and gold' honey and vegemite (one week ago) so will be keen to get home and see there progress. Give it a go.

Yep, will give both a go! T has a point about high sodium in vegemite which is mega to consume on your toast anyway..but hey, will give it a spin!

i'd just go back to the shop and explain that you tried and then realized she was making a move!!!!

as the sly man gets her PH# off her.

:)

yeah tantra, just dipped in the honey/vegemite then the excess wiped off on the side of the jar.

home now and both methods(the honey and the veg)_ have produced roots from the caapi cuts, however we all know how easy caapi is to root this time of year./

what's the point of trying to test rooting efficacy on plants that root without treatment?

why not pick a plant that is hard to root, but roots with rooting gel, and then test the vegemite against that. Anything else appears to be rather pointless :scratchhead: .

thats true. i may as well have said that they dont hurt the rooting process at all? word. i think u would have a lot more losses due to fungal/bacterial damage to the open wounds one makes when they make a cut, from organisms airborne in the air and soil.

comprende?

of the course of the question but in the ballpark. around abouts. i mean alot of plants will root without hormone/whatever application but i think a sterile moist sheathe while wounds heal and natural hormones do their thing does just as good a job as expensive/toxic artificial plant hormones.

oright ill test it and take photos and we will see.

tell me a plant which in ur opinion wont root with vegemite application and i will do it and see. good conditions here for germing.

will be fun, will do one in vegemite and one in hormone dust (dont have z liquid), IBOGa perhaps! game on mole. :wink:

that's a tricky one. we've found virtually no difference between hormone or no hormone when dealing with soft cuttings [except that hormones can actually produce unhealthy excessive bunching of root masses in things like coleus/salvia]. The only one I know where hormones make much of a difference is olives. Probably applies to many fruit trees too.

Dunno. we only use hormone cos our staff insists on it :P . I personally never use it.

chickun :wink: