The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Rave party drug overdoses anger hospital staff

I did!

IP ban too!

Awesome, I hate that place

Hahahahahahaha, nice one, but really, i thought you loved BL mate, being a mod and all there. Why the change of heart, what little heart you have.

Whatever heart I had withered, turned black, and died the day that I met you...

Fuck BL, I'm a demonoid sub-demon now baby!

Dont even get me started on ^this subjuect Tarnicus.

You've already gotten yourself started on it :P

The ppl hospital staff were and prolly still are angry about are ppl that most likely WANTED to "get fcked up" in the short term by eating snortin drinkin IVen or shelvin whatever they had.

Why do people wish to get fucked up?

These dickheads well know what outcomes they faced by doing so ILLEGALLY and then have to rely on a small hospital to HELP them overcome whatever issue they had when their desired outcome was overeached.

Oooh ILLEGALLY!!!one!1! :P Are substances illegal due to harm minimisation or to attract votes with zero tolerance policy treating the symptoms rather than addressing the causes? I'd suggest having a chat to Dr David Caldicott if you wish to talk to someone with professional training and a brilliant outlook on harm minimisation from drug use. We could look into certain substances that are illegal, some of the shoddy 'research' that has been done and then draw connections to legal/controlled substances that are economically threatened by those substances if you like?

There are so many unjust laws that I fail to see how the legality of something has anything to do with it.

I fail to see how ppl with cancer or that are overweight is equal to an AandE room full of speedies and MD freaks, yes it is a descision to use and abuse said substances but food, alcohol and cigarettes are legal last time i checked, not that it makes it any better for ppls health but it makes them socialy acceptable no matter how much you may dislike the said substances.

Because it is self-abuse no matter what that abuse is. The anger expressed has been for two reasons in this thread: harm minimisation of hospital staff, which is a very valid point and the cost of the resources being used to treat people who abuse themselves. My point is valid for the latter as the link between self-abuse and cost has nothing to do with legality from an economic perspective. From a social perspective I fail to see how getting angry aids in resolving problems, which is what I am addressing in the first point. I've repeated myself enough in this thread with that perspective so you can read back if you can't understand my 'blindness' :P

Your open mindedness seems to be blinding you.

Pot. Kettle. Black. :P

As for ppl with schizophrenia, like i said, DONT GET ME STARTED.

But it is so tempting to play this game with you when you use caps to emphasise your point :P Have a great night, I'll be out and won't get to respond till tomorrow.

MEOW!

hehe,

ya got me started on it when ya made a comparison between ppl ODin on what ever they had and a schizophrenic that had gone off their meds. Very intelligent argument i must say.

Why do ppl wish to get fucked up? any number of reasons, each person has their own, although im sure you could enlighten me.

And yes, getting angry does resolve some problems, or is it correct to just smile look into the sky and be passive about every situatution. Ya best tell me, i dont wanna seem uncool and angry.

btw, that is prolly the best avatar ive seen here at SAB, you should get a prize or something, PM me your addy and ill send you one.

btw, that is prolly the best avatar ive seen here at SAB, you should get a prize or something, PM me your addy and ill send you one.

thats funny :lol:

"Confronted with such a police presence, some individuals are tempted to unwisely consume all their drugs in one go, rather than throw them away or risk arrest," Mr Brogan said.

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink."

Acting Inspector Chris Duthie dismissed Mr Brogan's argument as ludicrous.

"It's an absolute nonsense," Insp Duthie said.

"If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous."

This is one of the most naive statements I have read

If insp Duthie is that stupid that he thinks it "absolute nonsense" that people may consider this as an alternative to facing the australian justice systems zero tolerance policy, then that really is ridiculous

Are you kidding Foolsbreath? I can totally see the logic in this guy's words. If you'd rather swallow that bag of pills (or whatever it is that you're carrying) than face up and give them to the cop who is about to search you (and will likely notice anyway), then you truly are an idiot. First off, why carry that much if there is even the slightest chance that you'd get busted? Just take enough for yourself and maybe your friend. Not enough to get the whole town off their tits. Secondly, why put your life and health before a sentence (and usually a mild one at that - especially for first timers)? I know gaol is a f*cking harsh place for anyone (especially someone who just wanted to have a good night), but I know I'd rather get the shit flogged out of me for a few days/weeks than OD because I might get busted.

And why not just ditch the gear? Obviously it'd be much harder if you had a shitload on you (the reason why you shouldn't have much in the first place), but it'd be just a little more intelligent than trying to down it before the pigs put you in cuffs. Like many people have said, if you take the ticket, you take the ride. If you hold, then you have a chance of spending time in lockup. If you down the gear to avoid arrest, you'd likely suffer more than if you were to just obey the lads in blue.

I dont blame hospital workers at all for getting fed up with people OD'ing or freaking out and clogging up the hospital system because of huge doses at inappropriate times and in bad settings. Seriously - if it is that bad that you'd risk your life before going before court and to gaol or whatever, then isnt it time to look at your situation in a new light?

BTW, I dont mind Tarnicus's avitar at all. I've certainly seen more unusual ones than that :)

Are you kidding Foolsbreath? I can totally see the logic in this guy's words. If you'd rather swallow that bag of pills (or whatever it is that you're carrying) than face up and give them to the cop who is about to search you (and will likely notice anyway), then you truly are an idiot.

Um Thanks Ace

Firstly I think pills are shit and don't take them, or meth, its all crap. :BANGHEAD2:

All I was saying is that its stupid to think that people aren't going to take whats in their pocket which may be a few points or a couple of extra pills than get a criminal conviction and face the consequences of that. Cause some people will. I didn't make a judgement call on whether that makes a person an idiot or not, only that I'm sure it happens and that Insp Duthie is naive for saying that that is "absolute nonsense" which I take to mean that he doesn't believe that it happens or that the police presence would catalyse such a situation in any way . Who knows what some people do when they are off their heads.

I wouldn't be dumb enough to go there in the first place let alone for carrying anything shitty like that around. I honestly think the whole rave thing is pretty dumb

For the record ace I wouldn't swallow a bag of pills, but I also aint that stupid that I'd go and hand them over to the nearest cop, But I wouldn't find myself in that situation anyway :scratchhead:

I also have stated that I think hospital staff have every right to be angry when confonted with people fucked up on too much meth, just as they have the right to be pissed at people who smoke ciggies till they catch cancer, or eat so much they endanger their lives

Sorry Foolsbreath - that looked like I was attacking you (honestly wasnt meaning to!) :blush: I was attacking those people stupid enough to down what they are holding to escape a bust. I am not saying you are one of them, or that you would ever even go near that sort of gear (or break the law in any way), I just mis-worded it.

I dont think the Inspector was denying that cops have that sort of influence (at least I didnt read it that way) - I mean, how many episodes of 'Cops' do you need to see before there is a junkie swallowing a shitload of crack to avoid punishment? It is obvious that coppers do have that sort of presence over people trying to have a good time. I think he was just saying that they are absolutely non-sensical because they would rather down their gear than just face the punishment. I can see where he is coming from - why do that to yourself instead of just facing up to it?

yeah, the problem as I see it is the one strike and your out mentality of the zero tolerance regime set up by the last government.

If people where faced with a justice system that allowed for people to make mistakes and learn from them ie positive outcomes rather than possibly ruining the rest of their lives for a silly youthful mistake, then these situations will arise less often

Sure the dealer carrying around 100 pills in his pocket will still be fucked and I don't have any compassion for him, but if a young guy or girl ends up with a criminal conviction for a small bag of pills or meth bought for them and their friends, I think this is a bit tough.

I travel a fair bit, and I know that If I had a criminal conviction for drugs there would be a lot of places I wouldn't have been able to see (I might not be living in Australia now!)

Three of my past employers and my partners last two employers and all her future employers in her industry have done and will do criminal record checks. I dare say I would have been disadvantaged if I had ever been charged with a drugs offence.

I definitly see where you are coming from Ace and that we had a different interpretation of insp Duthies statement. Yes I think it nonsensical to swallow shit in your pocket to avoid detection (especially when you can just drop it on the ground), but some people just don't think things through :scratchhead: especially when sniffer dogs are runing all over the shop :P and I would hope that the police realise this as a possibility rather than dismissing it as ludicrous as Duthie states

LOL Ace I'm glad you don't think I'm an idiot :P and agree with everything you have said! My main gripe isn't even with the police who are just doing a job, but with the zero tolerance policy. It needs to be reviewed and rewritten to actually minimise harm that may occur B) and avoid the need for convictions - atleast on a first and minor offence.

LOL Ace I'm glad you don't think I'm an idiot and agree with everything you have said! My main gripe isn't even with the police who are just doing a job, but with the zero tolerance policy. It needs to be reviewed and rewritten to actually minimise harm that may occur and avoid the need for convictions - atleast on a first and minor offence.

Haha, glad we are back on the same page :) I totally agree with you about zero tolerance. Because some people are not clued up enough (or just too intoxicated) to ditch their gear or hand it over instead of downing it is more than enough of a reason for the authorities to have a re-think of the whole 'zero tolerance' idea.

I dont agree with their ideas that a junkie should be locked up and taken away from their supportive families (who would have already put in some hard yards to get them away from the gear) because they are a menace to our perfect little society. I think our support programmes need to be exactly that - supportive. Not negative, not scary, not abusive. The best way for someone who is under the impression that their lives have turned to shit is to give them support and show them that people still care. Sticking them in a cold cell for a long length of time where they are abused, assaulted, raped, etc is nothing but evil of our leaders.

And as for teens who want to get out and have a good time and try things like pot, X, grog, whatever - they shouldnt fear cops so much that they'd risk their lives before facing up to punishment. They should have faith that the cops just want to get them clean and keep them on track for a 'successful' life. I certainly wouldnt want my kids to turn into deadshit junkies or alcoholics or anything, and I'm sure that our leaders dont either. I just think they have gone about setting the punishments all wrong and that it needs to be sorted out as to avoid clogging up hospital resources, to stop sending kids to gaol, and to stop people living in fear when we should be able to have some sort of freedom when it comes to having a few good times.

Its all a bit bat-shit crazy at the moment....

hehe,

ya got me started on it when ya made a comparison between ppl ODin on what ever they had and a schizophrenic that had gone off their meds. Very intelligent argument i must say.

Thank you for the compliment :)

Why do ppl wish to get fucked up? any number of reasons, each person has their own, although im sure you could enlighten me.

:)

And yes, getting angry does resolve some problems, or is it correct to just smile look into the sky and be passive about every situatution. Ya best tell me, i dont wanna seem uncool and angry.

How does anger resolve a problem? I'm not suggesting being passive but rather being positively active.

Again, thank you :) My avatar is a perfect representation of the flesh that cloaks my spirit. If you wish to put your artistic skills to good use, perhaps you can try your hand at creating the image I have described here.

Ballarat Health Services angry at vote on Kryal Castle raves

Article from: Herald Sun

Matthew Schulz

December 20, 2007 12:15pm

HEALTH authorities have condemned a country council for allowing raves to continue at Kryal Castle, near Ballarat, despite 14 overdoses there this month.

In secret talks last night, Moorabool Shire voted against withdrawing the operator's permits despite earlier saying they were considering cancelling the permit, the Moorabool Leader reports.

Instead the council handballed the issued to the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), calling on that authority to review the existing planning permit.

But the area's main hospital has slammed the decision, having previously called on the council to ban all future events.

Ballarat Health Services chief executive Andrew Rowe said the December 9 rave – attracting 5000 people - had stretched the hospital to "breaking point".

Fourteen people were rushed to the Ballarat Base Hospital Emergency Department on the morning of Sunday, December 9, after overdosing on illicit drugs at the Kryal Castle rave event.

He said three of the 14 patients were put on life support machines after overdosing on a deadly cocktail including GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid), ice and amphetamines.

Several of the patients abused, threaten and spat on staff, after being saved.

“We do not support rave parties because of the illicit drug use at these events and the massive amount of hospital resources that are used to treat drug affected patients,” Mr Rowe said.

He said there were "major deficiencies" in the event's organisation and it was simply luck that nobody had died.

The next party scheduled for the castle will be on February 23.

The council agreed to check whether the operator breached any conditions in the December 9 event.

Last week, the mayor had hinted at stronger action, saying the council would cancel the permit or have raves excluded.

"There's no point hiding under a rock. We need to do something," Mayor Di McAuliffe had said.

The council wants the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) to review and amend the existing planning permit and the event's emergency management plan.

It previously amended the event's planning permit in April after several other ravers overdosed at this year's February event.

"If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous."

So a dozen people went home a day late, much wiser and with a farking big headache. But they won't have a criminal record following them for the rest of their lives.

Call me crazy but it sounds like they had a win all things considered