The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Rave party drug overdoses anger hospital staff

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/10/2114609.htm

At least 12 people overdosed on drugs at a Ballarat rave party at Kryall Castle, in central Victoria, despite warnings from police about the use of illicit drugs.

Rural Ambulance Victoria says it transported at least 12 people to the Ballarat Base Hospital with severe airway problems - a direct result of the drug 'ice'.

Paramedics were stationed at Kryall Castle all weekend to treat overdoses.

Ballarat hospital is angry about the rave party, saying the drug takers tie up valuable hospital staff and resources.

"Ballarat hospital is angry about the rave party, saying the drug takers tie up valuable hospital staff and resources. "

Yeah they would rather spend their time treating cancer from tobbaco users or cirosis from chronic drinkers. :rolleyes:

"Ballarat hospital is angry about the rave party, saying the drug takers tie up valuable hospital staff and resources. "

Yeah they would rather spend their time treating cancer from tobbaco users or cirosis from chronic drinkers. :rolleyes:

Haha! If the hospital workers are angry about treating sick people they should get a new job! Where's Dr David Caldicott when you need him? :) *fondly remembers his Irish accept saying 'well what do you know, Datura!'.

Difference between helping people with illnesses and fighting aggresive Ice users who threaten your safety when your trying to HELP them.

Go to an emergency ward on a friday night, you've either got goddamn junkies or old people crapping their pants waiting in line.

If you ask any nursing or ambulance staff they are all totally over it. Im personally over people walking down my street screaming their heads off smashing everything in sight.

there have been articles about this in the herald sun for the last couple of days, first one was about this and the ods, from what the paper said it was ice and ghb and alcohol that caused the problem, not surprised after reading that but hey, today's article was about drug councillors saying that the police where in part responsible because there where so many of them there and the fact they had dogs caused some patrons to consume all that they had,

here is the article

Expert blames police for mass drug overdoses

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...72-2862,00.html

DRUG counsellors have launched an extraordinary attack on police, blaming them for causing mass overdoses at a weekend rave.

Users swallowed their drug stashes rather than risk arrest by police patrolling the Kryal Castle event with sniffer dogs, the drug education group VIVAIDS claimed.

VIVAIDS chief Damon Brogan slammed the 70-strong police presence at the Ultraworld Festival as "over-zealous" and demanded they stop hassling revellers.

"Confronted with such a police presence, some individuals are tempted to unwisely consume all their drugs in one go, rather than throw them away or risk arrest," Mr Brogan said.

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink."

VIVAIDS gets about $800,000 in government funding each year.

Acting Inspector Chris Duthie dismissed Mr Brogan's argument as ludicrous.

"It's an absolute nonsense," Insp Duthie said.

"If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous."

The majority of those found with drugs at the weekend were not charged, but placed in drug diversion programs.

At least 14 revellers overdosed, with three rushed to Ballarat Hospital and put on life support.

Another 80 were reprimanded by police during the Saturday rave at the medieval theme park near Ballarat, promoted by Hardware Corp.

The Herald Sun believes at least one reveller swallowed drugs in his possession to avoid being caught.

The council that gave Kryal Castle permission to run the rave is considering taking steps to stop the next scheduled party there in February.

Insp Duthie said alcohol as well as drugs caused problems at raves.

From January 1, a new permit condition would require organisers to serve only mid-strength beer.

"Where people are out in the sun drinking alcohol, and some are taking drugs, it's not a good mix," Insp Duthie said.

He said police would maintain a "peripheral" role at the Never Ever Land festival at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl tomorrow and Friday nights.

The venue will host the sell-out Summadayze Festival on New Year's Day.

Both events are promoted through the government-run Arts Centre.

Acting Premier Rob Hulls said the Kryal Castle overdoses were distressing.

"I expect anyone in the future organising a rave party will have a very close look at who organised that rave party, and I suspect they wouldn't want to go too close to them, that would be my guess," he said.

after looking at that i see that the heralds poll for today is should rave partys be banned, probally to late to make a topic about it because i think it goes in tomorrows paper, any how i just voted and the current results are

Yes 24% (587 votes)

No 75% (1767 votes)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/opinion to vote, not sure untill what time though.

interesting story and will be interesting to see the outcome from it.

Difference between helping people with illnesses and fighting aggresive Ice users who threaten your safety when your trying to HELP them.

Go to an emergency ward on a friday night, you've either got goddamn junkies or old people crapping their pants waiting in line.

If you ask any nursing or ambulance staff they are all totally over it. Im personally over people walking down my street screaming their heads off smashing everything in sight.

I can certainly understand that sentiment, but how does a healer getting angry at a sick person help to heal them? Should we get angry at people who eat nothing but shit and cause themselves heart disease? Should we get angry at smokers who cause themselves cancer? Should we get angry at schizophrenics who fail to take their medication and have an 'episode'? I fail to see how anger is helpful in healing.

Its not about wanting to help people, its about their SAFETY!

Fat kids & old people are not a safety risk!

I can certainly understand that sentiment, but how does a healer getting angry at a sick person help to heal them? Should we get angry at people who eat nothing but shit and cause themselves heart disease? Should we get angry at smokers who cause themselves cancer? Should we get angry at schizophrenics who fail to take their medication and have an 'episode'? I fail to see how anger is helpful in healing.

Um I would say yes to the first two and no to the third

Why shouldn't a 'healer' and by this I mean a member of the hospital staff, be peeved that they are wasting valuable resources when the circumstances could and should have been avoided.

With a schizophrenic patient the circumstances are very different. Even on their meds they are still mentally ill, and the meds often make them feel very uncomfortable with themselves, it is such a terrible struggle for them when they are half sane. I am sure their 'healers' would be more compasionate in their regard for such a situation

I also believe that many hospital staff are not true healers and are just doing a job. I don't feel comfortable about applying that term to anyone who has a part in a patients treatment as the term 'healer' would then have far too broad a definition

A true healer would probably not be angered by anyones physical distress (obviously I am not a true healer, cause these scenarios do anger me :unsure: and am probably somewhat of a hypocrite as I do not treat my body with the upmost respect that it may deserve although I eat well, don't drink or smoke, I don't keep myself in peak physical or mental condition)

Why shouldn't a 'healer' and by this I mean a member of the hospital staff, be peeved that they are wasting valuable resources when the circumstances could and should have been avoided.

Most sickness can be avoided as it is often self-induced. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a conscious or informed decision :) Again, how does getting angry help the situation? Anger is detrimental to physical confrontation. If staff safety is the concern, then what can be done positively to avoid such risks to their safety? I fail to see how getting angry does anything but inflame the situation.

I also believe that many hospital staff are not true healers and are just doing a job. I don't feel comfortable about applying that term to anyone who has a part in a patients treatment as the term 'healer' would then have far too broad a definition

'Just doing a job' rather than having a desire to help and heal people is indicative of the problems in our medical system. I feel comfortable applying the term 'healer' to anyone who helps someone to cure/treat sickness. I apply it to all manner of people, ranging from doctors to shamans to the old bloke who sits on a bar stool and offers sagely advice to all the youngens passing through. Healing can take on many more forms than eating pills :)

severe airway problems

what do they mean by this? 'Airway problems' kinda connotes obstruction/constriction/depression.... meth ODs cause rapid heart rate and breathing (high BP, vascular constriction) - this can damage the heart and kidneys, but depressed or 'constricted' breathing isn't a typical feature of meth OD as far as I know.

Annoying how adverse effects of OD's are automatically blamed on the demon-drug of the minute, when people were clearly consuming a variety of illicit substances. But I suppose 'severe airway problems' could be read to mean anything...still, I've never heard respiratory distress/collapse ever referred to as direct result of the drug 'ice'.

VIVAIDS rock btw...here's hoping such worthy orgs get more funding under the new govt

, how does getting angry help the situation? Anger is detrimental to physical confrontation. If staff safety is the concern, then what can be done positively to avoid such risks to their safety? I fail to see how getting angry does anything but inflame the situation.

maybe they have used the word anger to describe other emotions that they may be feeling, such as frustration and fear.

Most sickness can be avoided as it is often self-induced. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a conscious or informed decision :) Again, how does getting angry help the situation?

This may be true, but when the cause, effect and preventative measures are well documented and made a matter of public notice one can't help but become angered.

My father is a doctor and he becomes irrate when people try to pass the buck in such a way. The health system is collapsing under peoples self absorbant lifestyles and decisions and the consequences of these.

To make an analogy in my line of work, say I run out of sulphur and a parcel of sulphur meant to preserve a product is lost in transit and the product perishes, one can not get angry at any particular individual, but when someone is asked to order sulphur repeatedly and they ignore you till the product perishes, I have every right to become angry because the situation could and should have been avoided.

I liken this to someone getting cancer from eating a diet containing a little known carcinogen unbeknown to them as opposed to someone getting cancer from chuffing down a pack a day with a picture of a ravaged lung on the front of it

Both self induced and probably avoidable, but completely different situations generateing completely different responses.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't anger at the situation that has occured in my line of work, and see little difference between that situation and that situation that a doctor faces probably every day.

'Just doing a job' rather than having a desire to help and heal people is indicative of the problems in our medical system. I feel comfortable applying the term 'healer' to anyone who helps someone to cure/treat sickness. I apply it to all manner of people, ranging from doctors to shamans to the old bloke who sits on a bar stool and offers sagely advice to all the youngens passing through. Healing can take on many more forms than eating pills :)

I completely agree that healing takes more forms than eating pills, and that was indeed my point, that working in a hospital doesn't make you a healer. but if we were to try and fill the hospitals with only true healers, we wouldn't even have a health system as they are far and few between.

I have many friends who work in the health sector and yes, unfortuanetly for some its all about the cheque at the end of the week. But it is a job and people will get angry when they are faced with a lack of care or 'poor management' in any profession, and that is what obesity through over eating and cancer via smoking is, a complete lack of care for and poor management of ones own vessel. Not only that its an epedemic, god they must be sick of seeing lives needlessly wasted!

were going to have to agree to disagree on this one, cause you aren't going to change my perspective, and I'm sure I'm not going to sway your's either :) but I can understand why people can and do get angry with patients who would probably heal better if they weren't treated by someone who is pissed at them (or at least with the general malaise associated with these self inflicted diseases that are well publicised) :(

maybe they have used the word anger to describe other emotions that they may be feeling, such as frustration and fear.

Good point XipeTotec :)

Foolsbreath - trying to change another's mind with words is a fruitless exercise :) I'm enjoying the discussion and curiosity often propels my questions and comments.

My father is also a doctor, an orthopaedic surgeon who oftens sees large people with knee troubles. His first comment to them is usually "Go away and lose some weight and then come back and see me." He does not say this out of anger but out of common sense. The chance for complications increases dramatically in obese people with joint problems. Some don't react well to his advice and seek to blame anyone but themselves for their situation. Not that blame helps resolve the situation, but accepting personal responsibility is very important in healing.

Why is it that there is an epidemic of people killing themselves, be it quickly or slowly? Resolve the cause(s) and the symptoms will vanish :)

Foolsbreath - trying to change another's mind with words is a fruitless exercise :) I'm enjoying the discussion and curiosity often propels my questions and comments.

LOL me too! :)

My father is also a doctor, an orthopaedic surgeon

Mine too, They probably have met :unsure: that 7 degrees of speration thing is scarily true!

Why is it that there is an epidemic of people killing themselves, be it quickly or slowly? Resolve the cause(s) and the symptoms will vanish :)

You got me, I was trying to duck out before this point was made :blush:

It was screaming at me the whole time. That over eating and smoking are diseases in themselves much more obscure than the secondary and much more obvious diseases resulting from the addictions, but I still firmly believe that the human phsyche can overcome this, all people need are the right tools. This however is a much harder point to debate and be so onesided, and I don't believe anyone in a hospital can provide these tools effectively. For this you really do need a true healer

I'll get off my high horse now LOL :wink:

Mine too, They probably have met :unsure: that 7 degrees of speration thing is scarily true!

I've found that it is much closer to one! I met a girl recently by having a staring competition on the train, ended up at the same pub 100km from my house by 'chance', saw her again and found out she knows a guy I knew very well from the ages of 12-24, trains Muay Thai with my best friend's co-worker and had a book on the Killer Whales in Twofold Bay where my family comes from. All this from engaging in a staring competition with a stranger! *grins*

I'm pretty sure all the orthopaedics know each other, always buggering off to conferences as a good excuse to enjoy travelling around the world. Did you ever sit down with your dad as a kid and enjoy 'family television' that consisted of watching orthopaedic procedures? I found it fascinating and could probably attempt a total knee replacement but would need a willing victim :P

You got me, I was trying to duck out before this point was made :blush:

It was screaming at me the whole time. That over eating and smoking are diseases in themselves much more obscure than the secondary and much more obvious diseases resulting from the addictions, but I still firmly believe that the human phsyche can overcome this, all people need are the right tools. This however is a much harder point to debate and be so onesided, and I don't believe anyone in a hospital can provide these tools effectively. For this you really do need a true healer

I'll get off my high horse now LOL :wink:

What colour is your high horse? I've always thought mine was a brilliant white :P

Unfortunately our medical system needs a lot of work, and I take my hat off to those who have the right intent and stick around in the system in order to make a difference. I totally agree that the human psyche can overcome the ills of the world, or more aptly put the ills of the mind. I feel that it will be a slow process but nature is wonderful at perfect balance.

Speaking of Kryal, I almost OD'd there on dodgy E's (Keta pills) when they held Bezerk4 in 1995.

Imagine this, a party held inside a cirus tent with no real floor boarding just loose dirt, people dancing and kicking up tons of dirt into the air, to the point of every 2nd person you saw walking out of there spiting up dirt clods and pulling big dirt boogers out of thier nose. "Hey, whats that.. Ewww.."

I didnt reliase this was a problem for me until the K started to kick in HARD, and I felt like some Vicks inhailer to clear my sinus', unfortunatly I didnt notice that the inhailer had been in my mates pocket upside down so when I took a deeep sniff I got about 10mls of solution up my schnoz, then out it came, all this filthy dirty snot and vicks but because it was dark and I was tripping so hard I thought it was blood, ALL over me.. then falling so hard into a Khole that I couldnt even more or talk. totaly imobile and thinking I was pissing blood out of my nose.

Auuuggghhh... one of the worst party experinaces of my life.

LOL. you have to laugh,.

Incidnelty there were a lot of cuts and bleeding at that party when my friend who setup/ran the chillout room used smashed glass instead of fake ice. Whata dick. sorry to anyone who got hurt..

I'm pretty sure all the orthopaedics know each other, always buggering off to conferences as a good excuse to enjoy travelling around the world. Did you ever sit down with your dad as a kid and enjoy 'family television' that consisted of watching orthopaedic procedures? I found it fascinating and could probably attempt a total knee replacement but would need a willing victim :P

What colour is your high horse? I've always thought mine was a brilliant white :P

Unfortunately our medical system needs a lot of work, and I take my hat off to those who have the right intent and stick around in the system in order to make a difference. I totally agree that the human psyche can overcome the ills of the world, or more aptly put the ills of the mind. I feel that it will be a slow process but nature is wonderful at perfect balance.

LOL we've probably crossed paths ourselves at some point in time! and yeah, we've been privi to a few of those vids, it was the reason we got one of those new fandangal VCR players back in the early 80's :)

And yeah there are some real stayers in the health system, and it is usually the more down to earth docs who are in there for the good of all. It seems to be a real shit fight between them and the beaurocrats to maintain the essential services in the public system.

and Back to the thread

"Confronted with such a police presence, some individuals are tempted to unwisely consume all their drugs in one go, rather than throw them away or risk arrest," Mr Brogan said.

"If police operations are increasing the risk of death and harm in the community, perhaps it is time to rethink."

Acting Inspector Chris Duthie dismissed Mr Brogan's argument as ludicrous.

"It's an absolute nonsense," Insp Duthie said.

"If these people are that stupid to think taking drugs has better consequences than getting caught, that really is ridiculous."

This is one of the most naive statements I have read :BANGHEAD2:

If insp Duthie is that stupid that he thinks it "absolute nonsense" that people may consider this as an alternative to facing the australian justice systems zero tolerance policy, then that really is ridiculous

Guest Øskorei

.....so legalise 'party drugs' and therefore be able to regulate the quality of the ingredients - best harm reduction I can think of AND the state taxes on pills would bolster the hospital system ! The already minimal health risk of illegals comparative to booze and fags would be further reduced, and we can all get down to some serious loving each other

Farrrk, did I just say that ? :lol:

Should we get angry at schizophrenics who fail to take their medication and have an 'episode'? I fail to see how anger is helpful in healing.

Dont even get me started on ^this subjuect Tarnicus.

The ppl hospital staff were and prolly still are angry about are ppl that most likely WANTED to "get fcked up" in the short term by eating snortin drinkin IVen or shelvin whatever they had. These dickheads well know what outcomes they faced by doing so ILLEGALLY and then have to rely on a small hospital to HELP them overcome whatever issue they had when their desired outcome was overeached. I fail to see how ppl with cancer or that are overweight is equal to an AandE room full of speedies and MD freaks, yes it is a descision to use and abuse said substances but food, alcohol and cigarettes are legal last time i checked, not that it makes it any better for ppls health but it makes them socialy acceptable no matter how much you may dislike the said substances. Your open mindedness seems to be blinding you. Dont get me wrong, i have used and abused and even ended up where these fools have but really, get serious. Taking these drugs in excess can be dangerous and foolish, the same as drinking, smoking and overeating can but have you ever seen an AnE room full of pissed, fat, cancer patients on a friday nite????? i freakin doubt it.

That is what they were angry about, the overload to the system by dipshits who should have known better. The "healing" as you put it is there for them regardless and yes, that is the hospital staffs job as chosen or is "job" a dirty word when it comes to helping, sorry, "HEALING" ppl LOL? Have you even considered that there may have been ppl in that same hospital that were sick or injured by no fault of their own that needed help but couldnt get it for some time due to the "overload".

As for ppl with schizophrenia, like i said, DONT GET ME STARTED.

^^^ Phhhh... Go take it to the Herald Sun's 'My Say' section, 'Bluey' from Yarrawonga. Methinks you've spent too long listening to rural australia's next John Laws. Keep you unsophisticated country opinions to yourself, at least until you learn to brew a decent latte :P

VIVAIDS gets about $800,000 in government funding each year.

Typical Herald Sun, first few lines of the story and they have to point out VIVAIDS funding levels... WTF does that have to do with the story? Do they point out the level of funding received by the Salvation Army each time they pop their heads up to spew their moralistic position on drug policy? What a crock...

Edited by FungalFractoids

I've found that it is much closer to one! I met a girl recently by having a staring competition on the train, ended up at the same pub 100km from my house by 'chance', saw her again and found out she knows a guy I knew very well from the ages of 12-24, trains Muay Thai with my best friend's co-worker and had a book on the Killer Whales in Twofold Bay where my family comes from. All this from engaging in a staring competition with a stranger! *grins*

I wish they still amde K pills like that :P

LMAO, your drunk again arent ya chronik or did ya finally get banned from BL?