The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

New breakthrough for 'ice' addicts

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/01/2106894.htm

Australian researchers believe they have discovered a groundbreaking way to help addicts stop using the drug 'ice'.

The study from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has found a medication normally used for treating narcolepsy can help users go cold turkey.

Researcher James Shearer says the medication alleviates the negative effects addicts feel when they stop using crystal methamphetamine, but it is not a guaranteed fix.

"As with all dependence, whether it's tobacco, alcohol, anything, you do need the person themselves to be quite committed to making changes," he said.

"Otherwise these drugs don't work at all, because it's really a supportive drug for someone who's making an effort to quit."

Wonder what the drug is?

Modafinil is my guess!

Modafinil seems the most likely.

I have a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and mild agonist which has the curious side effect of making cocaine users turn against cocaine. The substance itself has no euphoria and is very much anti addictive itself. If there are any serious cocaine addicts in this community who would like to give this a try and report back I would love to hear from you.

Because of the similarities between coke and meth addiction I'd also love to give this a try for meth addiction.

A little extra info:

Sleep drug 'helps addicts to give up ice'

Adam Cresswell | December 01, 2007

USERS of methamphetamine could get a new treatment to help them quit the drug after a world-first Australian study showed a medicine already on the shelves helped addicts cut their use by more than 50 per cent.

The drug modafinil, used to treat sleep disorders, has been shown to help treat cocaine addiction in the US. Now a federally funded Australian trial has shown it could be a new treatment for methamphetamine addiction, by helping users overcome their craving.

Experts welcomed the findings, saying doctors had few options to help people hooked on methamphetamine, also known as ice. Researchers from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre recruited 80 ice users trying to stop their habit and divided them into two groups. All participants had used the drug on an average of 20 days in the previous 28 days.

One group received a daily dose of modafinil, while the other received a dummy pill. During the 10-week trial, neither patients nor doctors knew which patients were receiving the real pills.

Those receiving modafinil cut their use of ice from the average of 20 days at the start of the trial to eight days. Those in the placebo group only cut their usage to an average of 14 days in the previous 28.

No serious side effects were reported.

Presenting the results at the World Psychiatric Association congress in Melbourne yesterday, researcher James Shearer, a PhD student at the centre, said the drug was like the anti-smoking drug Zyban, which helps kill cravings and withdrawal symptoms.

The Australian

I wish the bloody Government would PBS Modafinil for all sleep disorders & not just Narcolepsy! :(

ok.......im pretty limited in my knowledge of some chems but know for a fact they used to prescribe "desoxyn" aka methamphetymine for narcolepsy.....not avavilable in aus...!

cheers

T~

Has Iboga been used to attempt to cure the addiction? It has astounding result for opiates, nicotine and alcohol from the little I had read.

Iboga

Yes, ibogaine has been tested successfully for methamphetamine addiction interruption in rats.