post-2263-1196985557_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196988194_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196988304_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196985250_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196985557_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196988194_thumb.jpg

post-2263-1196988304_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

The pasty ones look like fairly standard pan subs, should print a jet black and have a stringy stem, but the other ones (pics 2 n 4) whilst they look pretty damned close to pan subs, accounting for ageing and drying (around here they tend to dry to a goldy brown),they (esp pic 2) seem a lil too much like Panaeolus sumthingelsius, maybe foeniscii? I've found quite a few mixed patches where subs are concerned, they tend to be numerous enough (get cracking with the garden hose :P ) that you can chuck all the vaguely questionables. Also found subs and galerinas (off the top of my head, something that keyed out to being none too friendly anyway) in mixed patches, just about impossible to tell the older subs from the nasties. Should be laws against that kinda thing.

Yours all do "look like" subs though, if they check out gill and stemwise. I haven't found any nasties that are all that similar when you take a good look at em, if anything I think it's very nicely organised that subs are common as muck without need for cow paddocks and they come striped for easy ID. Very gentle and educational without making you look too silly , either haha.

Looking in the morning tends to remove a bit of the ifs and buts, in sunnier spots. Catch them when crazily striped ...I'll never forget the first time I found Nemo in my veggie patch!Try planting a pumpkin up the hill :lol:

Yer all bastards! :P

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Thanks guys,

Yeah I thought they were but just thought I should check.

I think pic 1 & 3 qre the same, well if that does'nt cause confusion VM, think it might be the lighting the paty ones were in shade the others were in sun, pretty sure they are'nt foeniscii pretty sure I've seen a tonne of them & I will probly get some pics if i head out for a look I've eaten them before quite a large amount (I musta thought they were edibles) with no effect. Pretty sure they're all subs will print to make sure all the stems match.

Yeah the lawn looks like it needs a water too :P .

The spores must have blew in from some wacky guy, maybe a member from SE QLD.

Yer I'm a bastard, I know it.

Damn I should learn to count u said 2 n 4 :wacko:

Edited by shruman

The spores must have blew in from some wacky guy, maybe a member from SE QLD.

hehe wish some would blow down this way :rolleyes:

What species would pan subs be?? What do you reffer to as 'subs'? Teonanacatl mushrooms in general? It also looks like Panaeollus foeniscii. Getting to know Galerinas is always a good idea, I think, even if you're not in the woods. Galerinas are relatively small, wood eaters [got to dig to check this out] and with rusty brown gills and spore print. Careful hunting!

Well this thread got me searching my books! I am a mushroom enthusiast and pick over 40 species for food, but tend to avoid LBMs. I think I get what you call Pan sub, P.subbalteatus, no? I am also going on a two day forray with lots of other mushroom enthousiasts, and I figured I just might come across some dung swelling species. Lots of cows round and in that forest we are going...

Oh, would Panaeollus foeniscii be of any interest?

"What species would pan subs be??"

Panaeolus subbalteatus Yes. They do'nt need dung either, they will pop up in lawns.

"Oh, would Panaeollus foeniscii be of any interest?"

Some say so but very weak, but IME no they taste like absolute shit & did'nt do a thing when I mistook them for edibles.

The Pan subs are out in force here I stumbled on a bunch today but did'nt have my camera, u could have picked a pound in 20 mins if u were so inclined big ones too some bout the size of a 50 c piece.

thnx m8! :)

I hear Mr.Trout, that old mare is all out,though I hear where there is plenty more, out n roundabout :)

Actually I have noticed an almost weedy tendency to those things, the few I picked ages back for ID (one day I will find more than three edibles around here) led to em coming up all over, especially in areas of slightly overgrown lawn where the guinea pig hutch had been recently moved from. Watering the lawn just made more of the bastards come up so I wouldn't bother, bit of a health hazard. I also found some growing in mid air, caught up in the forks of some rapidly climbing gourd vines, a dozen big ones popping out of a clump of horsepoo... crazy. The cobblers peg of the mushroom world.

"After the break, I'll show you how to make this lovely fungal hanging basket, just in time for Christmas!" Somewhere, Deborah Hutton grins like a loon...

Another mate has moved from the big smoke to the kind of rainswept cowdung country that would make any fence hopper drool, half his luck... there really are some bastards around.

VM

.I've eaten them before quite a large amount (I musta thought they were edibles) with no effect.
This is definately a major concern as far as having confidence in the identification of it being P.subbalteatus.

While subbs have been known to grow from lawns it is more often associated with richer substrates especially dung.

Growing from dung, one would have more confidence in identification of P.subbalteatus.

"This is definately a major concern as far as having confidence in the identification of it being P.subbalteatus.

While subbs have been known to grow from lawns it is more often associated with richer substrates especially dung.

Growing from dung, one would have more confidence in identification of P.subbalteatus."

Man that quote was regarding Pan foeniscii which in the literature I've seen is highly variable to say the least. I was a little inebriated when I made that post so I understand the confusion.

Around here I have spotted probly 1000 pan subs in the last week in lawn & only 1 in dung ever.

Edited by shruman

Ok, I thought you were talking about shroom this thread was about. I know that subbs can vary quite a bit in both shape and colouring but to me the visual type specimen in appearance would be that classic photo by Stamets.

Yours pics vary from this. so bioassay data by SWIM would be relevant.

Even if active it could be another panaeoli such as castaneifolius,olivaceus fimicola or other, although these are likely to be less potent.