The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Spring shots!

Just posted this on the nook, thought I might share it here too...the happiness of our largest narrow leaf khat and also our caapi with all new Spring leaves!

As you can see the Catha has shot up right to the height of the fence, I figure it must be bolting to flower, as it is double the size of its two brethren (of which one can be seen middle bottom).

They are really loving the heat Sydney is getting right now, when all the other plants are wilting from the sun the "planthelpers no4" just keep pumping it!

All these plants have been in the ground for approx 1.5 years.

So, share some sexy Spring shots!

Very nice, healthy looking plants you have there apoth, thanks for sharing.

Couldn't see any springs of any description though :lol:

Schweeeet Apo, that Khat looks huge..

Damn you people that can plant in the ground...

(Andy walks off grumbling under his breath...)

hmm, i forgot what no 4 is right now (guess it's the normal NL), but i can surly say that the catha strain "planthelper" grows more than twice as fast as the normal narrowleaved, and this is no surprise as it is a hybreed. hybreed virgor in catha is probably a very rare thing.

so chances are your plant might be in fact a "planthelper" strain, as i have given away many of them and some even without mentioning there (still) rare status.

the planthelper strain was birthed by a vienna white with the aid of some narrowleaved pollen, but my memory is never good so read up on my old posts about how this plant was created.

the profile of the actives of the planthelper strain, seems to my judgment, pretty much the same as the narrowleaved, which is a bit of a downer, but gee, i think, i made a NL type strain which grows much, much faster than it's parents.

my original planthelper seedling, is seeding right now for the first time, and as torsten once said to me, "serious genetic variation might be held up in those seeds" and i agree, so if you people out there own a planthelper strain catha and you are getting seeeds from it, grow them as the rewards could be very high!!

maybe how the seedpods are formed on this catha, could be used in the future as an aid of iding this strain, but till now this concideration is a very, very long shot from substatiated.

can't wait now to check to see if those seeds are ready...

hmm, i just had a look at your pic and it looks like a NL, a very happy one!! :drool2:

Edited by planthelper

Hi ph, they are the ones you sent smogs (I live with him now) that were stuck in the mail for several weeks but still came out fine!

Nice shot Kenny, are they wild or some of your own?

wow! how old's that Caapi Apothecary? Looks very hardy as it appears to be getting a fair bit of direct light in the pic! Massive leaves too. Is the Caapi in the ground too? Do you put a blanket over it or something in the winter to prevent it dying from frost and excess rain/rot?

Ever thought of making some clones PH or Apo? The NL is supposed to be hard to strike from cutting but this strain certainly seems like its worth a try. I'd certainly be interested in a couple if you have sucess! I have a NL from Darcy's stock and I thought it was quite fast, but Apo yours is a freak :)

Please keep me in the loop if clones become avalible!

PH strain is the best of my bunch. I have green, narrow, red and PH. So healthy and vigorous.

P.S. I thought PH strain was a Red X NL hybrid.

Edited by naja naja

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Sabre, no protection from the elements. Yes, all our plants are in the ground, these days nobody here has time to take care of potted plants. Most of the plants are about two years old.

Naja, the PH strain is technically NL x Red but before that plant existed, everyone called NL "planthelpers no4" ...there's a backstory if you can be bothered poking around old posts :)

Never bothered with cuttings Harry, you should PM planthelper if you are interested on how to take cuttings of this plant, he is the master! It's literally double the size of its two adjacent no4's, I figure it's either bolting toflower or the taproot has made it into some nice cosy water filled spot.

Heres some more :)

Ilex paraguayensis

Calea zacatechichi

Heimia salicifolia/myrtifolia ...dunno which. Auxin says the two are distinguishable by leaf breadth and length but this plant had looooooooooonnnnng leaves when it was a young potted plant but now it looks like my myrtifolia.

Valeriana officinalis

Edited by apothecary

Naja, the PH strain is technically NL x Red but before that plant existed, everyone called NL "planthelpers no4" ...there's a backstory if you can be bothered poking around old posts :)

the planthelper strain is a nl x vienna white, the vienna white was the mother.

Heimia salicifolia/myrtifolia ...dunno which. Auxin says the two are distinguishable by leaf breadth and length but this plant had looooooooooonnnnng leaves when it was a young potted plant but now it looks like my myrtifolia.
I beleive I said they are not clearly distinguishable by leaf breadth and length except maby if you have both side by side. Its seed capsule morphology thats most distinct... hold on I'll UTSE :P

um

:unsure:

:BANGHEAD2:

ok fuck it heres a medium rez scan of a drawing :P salicifolia calyxs are deeper and have longer 'thorns' out the top and myrtifolia calyxs constrict on the seed pod and the myrtifolia seed pod is more papery and fragile. Hard to tell from your pic but my guess is salicifolia, got a closer pic?

post-146-1198229357_thumb.jpg

Heimias25.jpg

Heimias25.jpg