The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Marijuana 'like chips' in Arnhem Land

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/20/2095530.htm

A new study has found extremely high rates of marijuana use in Arnhem Land.

Researchers from James Cook University in Cairns and the University of Sydney surveyed over 240 people in three communities.

One of the authors Kylie Lee says almost 60 percent of people surveyed smoked marijuana, compared with less than 20 percent of the general population.

Ms Lee also says those who smoke, smoke heavily.

"Users smoke using bucket bongs so they are getting the full hit of the drug as well. And they are smoking more than seven cones per occasion," she said.

"One quote from a leader that spoke to me will always stick in my head. He said, if there is a bowl of ganja on the table people will just smoke it from morning to night until it's gone. So he almost likened it to food - like you have a bowl of chips on the table and it just goes."

Seems true enough to me. My friend from Arnhem Land loves her yandi and she did say that everyone smokes it.

here's a related one :rolleyes:

Potent marijuana blamed for remote youth suicides

HIGHLY potent marijuana is being blamed for youth suicides and psychotic episodes in a remote central Australian community, which is struggling to cope with increasing levels of drug use over the past 12 months.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22795954-2,00.html

yeah a pill is worth like 75 bucks in arnhem land, so all other prices but green are probably quite high.

i remember my head being in some pretty weird places when i was a teen with potent ganj. even on a national level, say the quality of bud exploded overnight, i think it would take quite a toll on our collective sanity. if we can hold our shit together though, bring it on.