The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mark80

Exotic animals

Hey I know someone here was selling spiders i was wondering if anyone is also slelling as other things? I know snakes are illegal without a licence but there still cool. And a scropion would be cool... anyone?

Hey I know someone here was selling spiders i was wondering if anyone is also slelling as other things? I know snakes are illegal without a licence but there still cool. And a scropion would be cool... anyone?

bonobo?? let me know, this one is always trying to hump my leg... he is getting bigger, and i am afraid he will eventually overpower me. :unsure:

Scorpions just sit around i guess. Lizards and snakes are the best. a crocodile would be nutter. I really want a cameleon though.

in victoria it is legal to have native sugargliders as pets. I think aussies would have a much better relationship with their native animals if they were allowed to keep more of them as pets. eg, why not keep possums instead of cats? wallabies instead of rabbits?

But back to exotics.... there's a guy in vic who offers fox pups :scratchhead:

There is a place in sydney I think called 'extreme pets'. They have all sorts of weird stuff.

there's a guy in vic who offers fox pups :scratchhead:

I have always thought that a fox would be a great pet... but..... i think it is pretty dodge that this guy is offering them.... i would suspect that its not actually legal.

In S.A. U can keep a variety of native animals as pets that aren't able to be kept in other states. Or u can always become a wildlife rehabilitater andhave more friggin natives than u know wat to do with :P

If u wanted a bird, there's a plethora of exotics available. My top choice would be an African Grey aslong as ur willing to commit 50+ years to it and a decent sized flight aviary. (cocky cages should be illegal!!! Imagine spending up to 100 years in a cocky cage! No wonder they go nurotic and bite) Personally though, I think a native like a crow or magpie, that can live in the wild and just hangs around is a better option for most.

As for mammals, I wouldn't go past a Bandicoot and I'd jump on a sugar glider if I had the room. But a bandicoot would be perfectly happy in a suburban backyard and house. Very smart animals that get extremely tame, even wild ones. Would use a cat door and prolly toilet trainable, but their shit is nuggets anyway and easy to pick up. Once fully grown, are bnig enough to fend off cat attacks and a pair wouild breed very ha[ppilly even in a suburban backyard.

An albino wallaby would be awesome too, many people round the world keep these as pets and we are not allowed even though they are an australian native :(

Cornsnakes are very common in the illegal reptile trade over east and would be pretty kewl too. Do not get exotic pythons or Boa's though as they can carry and spread a very bad body inclusion virus. Leopard gekko's are arrarently avail too, they would be kewl I rekon. I do not condone these, but they are there so why deny it. Act responsibly and never release any exotiv into our environment. Ensure enclosures are very secure and try and go native first. Exotics are tempting, but not all they are croaked up to be. Canetoad anyone!

P.S. And don't think reptiles can't become invasive. Cornsnakes have been caught from wild in Oz and are believed to be breeding here. During WW2, Australian planes accidently/unknowingly carried brown tree snakes over to Hawaii in their planes and cargo. They have now wiped out 7 of the 9 bird species native to Hawaii and have also done the same or worse on other islands.

Edited by naja naja

they sell scorpions and bird eating spiders at most pet shops now, and if they dont they should get em in for u.

i paid 100 dollars for my b.e.s. I warn u though, if uwant entertainmentdo notget a b.e.s.

i have seen my spiders legs about twice in the 3 months i have had it!!

they pretty much just sit in their hole forever.

thats really cool thatu can keep sugar gliders! iagree t i rekon having natives legalas pets is a great idea especially on the conservation side of things. makes much more sense than catsanddogs!!

i had a friend who used to lookafter baby wombatsfor wires!!! they are SSSSOOOOO CUUUUTE!!!!! ive always wanted a wombat.

'Fatso' of a country practice was awesome.

if u want a pet and uhave the time to dedicateto them, maybee u could look into being a wires volunteer? heaps of cool pets and they changeall the time!

Edited by jono

I've done a bit of work with wires and it was a great experience. Looking after baby ring tail possums that had fallen of their mothers back during the night or were victims of cat attacks. Warming experience.

But that's definately an option, if you want to have the joy of animals in your life but cant afford an environment for them, or want to interact with a range of different animals. Rehabilitation work is the way to go, and your helping give the little guys a good future.

And the Owl fledglings were so cute, amazing little guys they were. :)

http://www.kunekune.co.nz/

I think KuneKune pigs are cute and are increasingly becoming popular pets. (the smaller miniture versions at least)

Can't bet the Australian Barn owl though, most beautiful creature ever.

post-3895-1195474714_thumb.jpg

I also had crabs for 6 months.... and never again... :rolleyes:

I also had crabs for 6 months.... and never again...

I certainly wouldn't be admitting this on the internet :lol: Did you get them from a sheila (check out my Australian lingo! Thanks for the reference Auxin :P ) or did you get them off a dirty toilet seat?

owls rock!!

the one i met sure did.... considering thats what I killed it with!!

Edited by XipeTotec

im going to try and encourage a barn owl to live in one of our trees by providing a place for it to roost.. i have heard and seen them in my area which is suburban victoria doncaster / warrandyte with the hope that they will scare away the possum plague around here at certain times of the year ...would like to hear if anybody here has tried doing this type of thing ?

would like to hear if anybody here has tried doing this type of thing ?

my mum has one that regularly visits her yard (not sure of species).... the reason?? she feeds birds... which in turn, encourages mice... just be careful you dont end up with elephants :)

Edited by XipeTotec

bonobo?? let me know, this one is always trying to hump my leg... he is getting bigger, and i am afraid he will eventually overpower me. :unsure:

ohhhh, you are after an "exotic" animal.... my mistake :)

muauuauahahha i nu there was an explanation you funny bastard :lol: .....hhhmmn maybe i can run my possums with the car where legal of coures and then throw rocks at em :uzi:

Spiders and scorpians are pretty boring apparantley, but I must admit I love the look of them.. this place stocks a fair few natives http://www.thegreenscorpion.com.au/showcats.toy?aid=44068

You can't keep any exotic reptiles which is great, but that still hasn't stopped them from coming over.

If it's OMPV that you are talking about Naja our natives also can carry it. Always have a clean enclosure and you should be right, I use a veterinary disinfectant that's called F10, will get rid of anything.

If you want a cool aussie reptile with personality get a bearded dragon.

In NT, SA and VIC you can keep crocs.

I certainly wouldn't be admitting this on the internet Did you get them from a sheila

I did! They were an Xmas present from a work collegue. Two stinky hermit crabs...

Everyone kept cracking up whenever I told them an older woman from work gave me crabs.

Possums are large rats and and an absolute pest! I remember being in NZ and having them crawl on the room and screwing up the reception and going through the rubbish every night.

I did! They were an Xmas present from a work collegue. Two stinky hermit crabs...

Everyone kept cracking up whenever I told them an older woman from work gave me crabs.

Possums are large rats and and an absolute pest! I remember being in NZ and having them crawl on the room and screwing up the reception and going through the rubbish every night.

Ignorant!!!!!! Possums are feral to NZ and are a mojor problem to the native bush and fauna. Along with a huge list of othewr feral animals introduced into NZ.

Possums however are native to Australia and I bet they are thinking to themselves," Who are these dickheads that have replaced all my beautiful trees with tin roofs and replaced all my fresh food with stinky rubbish bins.

Humans are giant viruses, spread the world over and causing a gross cancer like mark wherever we tread. Who's the real pest?

P.S. Pretty sure that pic is a masked owl, or a foriegn barn owl. It doesn't look like an Aussie barn owl to me.

everyone knows aussie scorpions aren't fatal. i kept one when i was a kid, a little black bastard.

heheh, i've recently been told that the larger brown ones aren't too bad. the small black scorpions (found mine in victoria) can sting you on the fingertip or something, and the pain doesn't go away for years!

so yeah, that's pretty full on. take extreme care around the black scorpions, i remember being pretty reckless a few times. they aren't likely to attack but years of pain doesn't sound fun.

also, beardies are meant to have one of the worst lizard bites.

i reckon blue tongues are awesome pets and you don't need to cage them, feed them, or anything, just have some gardens and no dogs.

remember you shouldn't take reptiles, buy them from somebody with a permit, and have a permit yourself.

I know that water dragons have salmonella on thier skin and in thier salvia, kind of like the type known in thier bigger brothers.

That said, I have a large family of them at my place and they are super friendly,, a little too frindly too the point of gettng piked up and stolen if they arent careful.

I can only hope those bastards lick thier fingers afterwards..

Blue TOngues are skinks (have live young) and as such have got some kind of disease they pass on in their bite and it infects the wound and leaves a permanent scar... i've heard. So that's a bit dodgy, had a baby blue tongue bite my finger, it was so cute but it didnt let go. little bastard. was too small to cause any damage tho.