The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
JustAskSally

Psychotria carthaginensis

Hello all..

Can anyone give me advice as to taking leaf cuttings of this plant?

I have been growing my Psychotria for about a year now and it is getting quite big.. A friend of mine told me a little while ago that i can take leaf cuttings of it and would love to experiment a little(as well learn a new technique), and although i have successfully taken quite a few stem cuts i really dont know how to go about taking a leaf cut of it..

My friend told me to simply break the petiole and then put rooting hormone on the spots i had broken, then just place it on top of some soil which should be kept moist, and i did this to no avail. I dont know how reliable his instructions were however, because he is a bit of a disappointment of a horticulturalist and i have given him about 15 salvia cuts (some of which were very bloody nice) which he has, without fail, managed to kill every freakin one due to either his lazy stoned nature or just simple neglect, and i now refuse to give him any of my plants because i much prefer to keep them alive...

Anyways i thought if theres anyone that could help me out with some pointers here would be a great place to ask and for any help i would be very grateful.

Thanks once again to all the great, knowledgeable ppl that are part of this community.

Peace

hey.....well my first attempt worked really well.......just cut the leaf in half ummm........say perpindicular to the main support vein half way along the leaf)(not 100% clear but cant think of the terminilogy).........now this cut was put straight into premium potting mix and generally kept damp...a little sun not much though......roots formed pretty quick then shoots.....time wise it took about a year though to produce cuttings ready to thin out.......and,.grow

the magic of it is because of the long cut section(hence surface area??)

i was getting up to 5 plantlets from a leaf cutting......my best advice would be to keep the moisture up to it......

i was suprised with the multiple plantlets but this did take up to a year to acheive,...a little patience and care and youll be fully rewarded...

p.s never grown them from seed so cannot provide a comparison,.......but highly reccomend leaf cuttings for psychotrias!

T>

Thanks for all the help apoth and kaktus..

This is something i have been thinking about doing for a little while as i always have a few left over leaves that i generally removed when taking a stem cut, and up to now didn't know what to do with them so they have just been stored away... Now i can experiment a little and broaden my horizons, and thanks to the great info i know ill be doing these things right to a T..!!

Gracie