The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Victoria Police to be drug tested 'when appropriate'

We should start with her!

====================================

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/31/2077041.htm

The Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon has announced changes to police discipline, including the power to randomly drug test officers.

The legislation, to be introduced in the Victorian Parliament today, will also separate the Office of the Ombudsman from the Office of Police Integrity (OPI).

A new disciplinary system within the force is also to be introduced next year.

Ms Nixon says random drug testing will be implemented when appropriate.

"I have the power to do that, and when I believe it is appropriate to do it, I will use the power," she said.

The opposition police spokesman, Andrew MacIntosh, it is a cop-out for her to say she will use the powers at her discretion.

"It is not for the Chief Commissioner to decide how this should be put into operation," he said

"Its not just about the legality of taking drugs, it is also about the integrity of police officers and their ability to be compromised."

"That is a matter of profound concern and the suggestion we don't have random testing is a cop out and the Minister must move immediately to implement full random drug testing," said Mr. MacIntosh.

Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon has been pushing for this to be introduced for years. A step, albeit a baby one in the right direction afaic.

I'm just hell surprised the Police Association has gone a long with this, that thug Paul Mullet has always steadfastly opposed random testing in the past, makes one wonder what sort of seedy back-room trade-off's got made. Probably something like tasers and fully auto handguns for all or some shit...