The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Germniation of hops seeds

So many lies about germination from bodo, so little time to correct.

Edited by darcy

Hops have been a disaster for me.

I planted 2 seed trays 2 months ago and had all but given up on them, keeping the trays moist out of some faint sense of hope.

Last week something sprouted. 1 small seedling popping out that looks more like thick solid grass than anything else.

I'm curious what it is though so I'm letting it grow smile.gif

Hops can easily take 6 months to germinate. I think stratification is also a good idea.

You can get female hops plants from Austral herbs. (females are the only ones that produce hops)

Guest reville

Has anyone got seeds for Humulus japonicus (Syn. H scandens)?

The seeds i got through from germany were mostly crushed by rollers.Only two came up but they came up very quickly

Both are female though.

Good thing is that they flower in perth where i dont believe the european species will. This was my plan and but for the lack of a male plant it has succeeded.

Ill be attempting clonal prop but for the AFSR and wider plantings id love some males or even just pollen

thanks

Eat of the apple so young, i'm crawling back to start.

Edited by darcy

I've had some seeds in thhe freezer for about 3 months.

A few days ago I took some out and put them in a glass of water, several of them have sprouted.

All hops seed I have for sale has also been stored sub-zero.

i didn't notice any sort of dormancy with my hops seeds. just collected them in the German autumn last year and planted them a few weeks ago here. no chilling or storing in the freezer. all of them have come up. am i doing something wrong?? biggrin.gif

Guest reville

In WA japanese is a permitted species though i belive importing requires all sorts of testing and stuff.

Ill do my best to keep these females going and divvy them but please send me a male cutting or pollen whenever you can. Ill return seed to you

thanks

rev

Long time since this thread but I thought I'd bring it up here. I have been around the brew shops of perth looking for hops seed for a gift. I know I can order rhizomes from a few places but the point of the gift is to try for a male.

Wondering if anyone else has some knowledge on where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Peace.

May be stating the obvious, but seeded hops are not well-regarded for brewing (a bit like MJ). The last time I tried Brit wild hops, they had a bit of an unpleasant turpentine note. They like long, cool summer days, so keep them out of the sun up there in Age of Aquarius land.

God damnit :BANGHEAD2:

Just sent in my yearly research allotment request and I forgot I was gonna include this species to get it into AFSR (I have access to 865 varieties of Humulus lupulus, but only 3 or 4 at once and only once a year)... 11 months til next chance.

Ferk

...oh well, I did at least remember to include a few very rare P. brachystachys varieties this time, and a few other species worthy of research.

They like long, cool summer days, so keep them out of the sun up there in Age of Aquarius land.
Theres hops farms here, 46°C summers, so I assume their need of cool summers really depends on cultivar/clone.

God damnit :BANGHEAD2:

Just sent in my yearly research allotment request and I forgot I was gonna include this species to get it into AFSR (I have access to 865 varieties of Humulus lupulus, but only 3 or 4 at once and only once a year)... 11 months til next chance.

Ferk

ahh dammnit hehe.

Theres hops farms here, 46°C summers, so I assume their need of cool summers really depends on cultivar/clone

Another reason I'm after seed is gives me a chance to work on acclimatization.

May be stating the obvious, but seeded hops are not well-regarded for brewing (a bit like MJ)

Yeah man I wouldnt be using seeded hops for the brewing just for further breeding. I would seperate males from the females that I was interested in brewing with.

Anyone got any idea if you can stress hops too hermaphrodite similar to MJ?

Edited by twenny47