The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Positive drug tests were wrong: report

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/27/2072239.htm

A South Australian parliamentary report has found some positive roadside drug tests have been proved wrong in a laboratory.

The report on the first year of the testing regime also shows 3 per cent of SA motorists tested had traces of either cannabis, methamphetamine or ecstasy in their bloodstream.

The figure was compared to 1 per cent of drivers who have tested positive in Victoria.

South Australia's opposition police spokesman David Ridgway says he is concerned that 6 per cent of positive tests were later found to be wrong.

He concerned about the number of people testing positive.

"It's been suggested that South Australia is the drug capital, or Adelaide is the drug capital of Australia," he said.

"I think that's probably a little harsh but what it does tell us is that drugs are very prevalent in our society and a lot of people are driving under the influence of drugs.

"We need to look for the best technology for testing so that we don't have this discrepancy of six percent or more of tests not being confirmed with the laboratory."

A spokeswoman for Road Safety Minister Carmel Zollo says the figures prove there is a need for drug testing to be expanded.

hmm and here I was thinking the article was going well until the last quote; I wish they would consider social change as a whole and not authoritative clamp down. I don't agree with people driving under the influence of any substance really, but I think if we had a well educated and respectful society in relation to substances we could have much more responsible citizens who wouldn't drive under the influence, but maybe i'm just a dreamer and people will do what they want; it fucking annoys me that passive responsible people cop harsh penalties because of a bunch of irresponsible folk; at the same time I believe our society is responsible for it's citizens and the problems are essentially created by us as a whole, which is a difficult statement to make without going into intricate details, there will always be many variables but I think the base is created by a given society; the propaganda and misinformation of 'education' relating to 'drugs' is sickening in the western world and does not help anything besides running the fat cat agenda.

I used to have great hope in entheogenic substances in the western world, but my constant reoccuring experience in the wider society is showing me that people still have no fucking clue and use it as a thing to get fucked up on, even if they do get some insight here or there, but the very next sentence they contradict themselves; mentality of the individual is highly valued IMO and faith in humanity dwindles once again; am learning to live with it, but even folk I feel were switched on seem to be completely lost in it all taking such teaching substances like a commonality, boo, end rant :)

Edited by gerbil