The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
worowa

How to Kill Rats

OK, so I had a rat problem-keeping me awake. Read that Deb, the dehydrated potato and salt stuff kills em, so I tried it.

It Works!! Just disposed of 4 babies, mummas been quiet ever since I opened the bag and put it in the roof.

The rats gorge on Deb, then go for water, then their tummies swell up, then they die. Sad, and cruel, but so is sleep deprivation.

Cheaper than poison, and safer.

Better than poison as they are less likely to die in the roof or wall cavities because they come out for water. No nasty smells coming from above or maggot infestation that leads to fly infestation.

Got to give a try.

My situation like a H.P. love craft novel. Rats in the walls.

They won't eat rat poison.

For years,

I given up but will give a try.

Cats don't catch them.

I used to afraid of poisoning the rat then the cat could eat it and be poisoned.

I not sure on how to do the method.

Racumin will not cause secondary poisoning. Problem is we can only find it in little portions which the large rats drag all over the place and they do cause primary poisoning in pets.

I think cats are worse vermin that rats, so that's not a solution for us. Most rat traps cause injuries. And other poisons are dangerous for pets and wildlife.

Our preference is for snakes. Whenever we find a python near the house we stick it in the roof. Sometimes they stick around for a day, sometimes for a year. The gentle scraping sound they make over my bedroom once a week for a few minutes, and the occasional (((( THUD )))) when they strike is quite bearable.

quoting torsten-Most rat traps cause injuries- uhhh thats in the design man, they are meant to do that. thats how u get rid of the rat.

i get ur point though, ive always been waaaaaaaaay to nervous to set a rat trap. rabbit traps where easier (i am in shock both that i said that and that i used to set them)but yeah rat traps are forthe steely hearted.I do think having ur brains squashed through ur mouth would be less painful than ur gut exploding or dyingfrom chems. who knows? death by ratsack might be fuken awesome!!! i have heardof it added to mull mixes, by rats on the sly, its their secret. dont do it. im a moron.

we had a rat plague on z farm once, and dad set up a forty gallon drum, with the top of half full of water, and ran a piece of wire over the open top. he greased it and stuck a big hunk of bread and cheeese all melted onto the centre of the pieceof wire.

therats would run onto the wire slip into the waterto drown, we used to just get hundreds of these mangey satnan rats, they were huge and hungry and crazy, i was only 8 at the time-freaky shit seeinga ratplaugue, at least mice u can stomp on em and they die, rats get big and mean.

Edited by jono

I thought pushing the [former]cat into the [top] roof space for smells that drive off the rodents.

But never got around to it.

The python is much better idea as far as a warning smell and actual eating.

I think cats are worse vermin that rats, so that's not a solution for us. Most rat traps cause injuries. And other poisons are dangerous for pets and wildlife.

Looks like my days are numbered!

Edited by CyberCat

Looks like my days are numbered!

LOL.

The trap we use in the house is a cage trap. we found the classic design to be more effective than the new fancy things. then once we have the rat there are three options.

1) release it in the puppy zone [odds of survival are pretty low with 5 terriers]

2) feed it a huge amount of rat sack in the cage and wait till dead.

3) euthanase with chloroform.

obviously #3 is my preferred option, but not always possible.

"quoting torsten-Most rat traps cause injuries- uhhh thats in the design man, they are meant to do that. thats how u get rid of the rat."

It's not very nice when u have a poor little bandicoot smashed in one like I remember when we lived at woodburn, but I guess the rest do'nt realy discriminate either.

They're probly the best options T, snakes or non lethal traps.

Edited by shruman

oh, I'd never set a dangerous trap in the open where other critters can get hurt.

Rat shot in a .22 rifle, with a torch strapped to the front. Fast, effective and quite sporting. It's sorta like playing clay pigeon. Put the torch beam on the rat and fire. 1st shot usually slows them down enough for a second fatal shot. Good thing is that if u wear safety glasses, u can use this inside sheds. I use racumin, but sumtimes the rats just won't eat it. Traps don't seem to work either, so it just comes down to the rifle. Good method if u don't live in a residential area.

"oh, I'd never set a dangerous trap in the open where other critters can get hurt."

This was in the annex of our caravan & dad didnt realize how close other little critters would come. But yeah if it can be avoided it's best to.

naja ur story reminds me of when we were living on our hobby farm halfway between Glen Innes & Emmaville & we had lost a couple of ducks &chooks over the last few nights & my mum was woken by frantic squaks so she woke dad & he grabbed the .22 & torch & went to shoot the fox he got up there & made out the outline of a fox dragging a duck under the chook pen fence & fired shot him dead it was only when he got up close to check it out he realized he just shot a quoll, to this day u can't talk about quolls without him going realy quiet & feeling like shit. Just saying mistakes can happen.

the little cabin I used to live in looks like a sieve from all the rat shot going into the sisalation. I also smashed a window once - when you are aiming at a running rat you sometimes forget when to stop.

obviously #3 is my preferred option, but not always possible.

Can chloroform be legally obtained in Australia? Not that I have any use for it, just curious...

Hey T, with a python in the roof for up to a year, do the snake turds intrude upon the ambience?...just wondering..

I tried the bucket half filled with water, placed just below a bench, and above the bucket you tape a beer bottle to the bench, put some peanut butter on the end of the bottle(lined up with the middle of the bucket), and a bit of grease smeared on the neck. It worked, a bit like jonos set up, but you still have to check it, move the dead rats, set it up etc...this new Deb method is revolutionary, well I'm excited. The pythons here are fat and lazy, they really couldn't keep up with ratus ratus, but I love having them around.

I think I will get a robotic python from the Japan.

I may have to empty the plexiglass stomack cavity shell from time to time.

But can recharge itself using 110 current.