The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Prosperity 'fuelling Australia's speed binge'

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/24/2068441.htm

A leading crime expert says Australia's economic boom is contributing to increased amounts of amphetamines getting into the country, as drug users have more money to feed their habit.

Bureau of Crime Statistics researcher Don Weatherburn's comments follow a stern warning from the United Nations that Australian authorities can expect a flood of heroin and amphetamines from South-East Asia after a surge in illicit drug production there.

The opium poppy fields of Afghanistan and Burma are brimming, so too are industrial-scale methamphetamine superlabs throughout South-East Asia.

Crime gangs in the region are so flush with drugs that they are now expected more than ever before to try to penetrate the Australian market.

With relatively high border security and a small population, experts say Australia has historically been avoided by some big Asian drug traffickers.

But according to the United Nations, the region's current drug oversupply means all that is about to change.

In a warning to Australian authorities, one of the world's top anti-drugs experts, the UN's Jeffrey Avina, said "Australia is close to the providers, the organised gangs and there is already market penetration. Therefore you are obviously a likely target".

Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers are currently meeting on the Gold Coast to discuss the problem. The AFP has spent four agents to Afghanistan to try to understand the flow of heroin there. Next week it will open up a third office in China to monitor amphetamine traffic.

"We do have a drug problem quite clearly, everyone acknowledges that but we're doing all we can to address that," Queensland Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said.

Until recently much of the methamphetamine available in Australia was produced domestically by outlaw motorcycle gangs.

Now the UN says it comes mostly from South-East Asia, where industrial-scale factories can churn out tonnes of illegal drugs each week.

Australian amphetamine use has increased by 24 per cent in the past two years.

"We've seen an increase in methamphetamine consumption across the country and an increase in amphetamine consumption of other types as well. So there are indications of success in getting the stuff in," Mr Weatherburn says.

The AFP has claimed credit for a reduction in heroin supply in Australia. Heroin overdose levels have fallen almost 70 per cent since 1999, but the UN is warning authorities not to be complacent.

It says heroin production has recently become much more technical and large scale, especially in Burma, one of Australia's main heroin suppliers.

"Anything that improves the efficiency of producing illegal drugs is a worry because it means that they can sell them at a lower price. If they can sell at a lower price, users are going to be more interested in buying," Mr Weatherburn says.

And he believes that Asian crime gangs may be more attracted to Australia than some other countries in the region because of our booming economy.

"Certainly Australia's going through an economic boom which means there are a lot of young people with disposable income to spend on these sorts of drugs."

what economic boom? i dont havetwo brass razoos to rub together? was funny we did a questionaire attafe where u fill in income and expenditure, debts, bills etc, and i didnteven make itinto lower class! but fuk theres a beach 50 metres away and tulip trees linin my road! im fuken rich!

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/24/2068441.htm

Bureau of Crime Statistics researcher Don Weatherburn's comments follow a stern warning from the United Nations that Australian authorities can expect a flood of heroin and amphetamines from South-East Asia after a surge in illicit drug production there.

The opium poppy fields of Afghanistan and Burma are brimming, so too are industrial-scale methamphetamine superlabs throughout South-East Asia.

Crime gangs in the region are so flush with drugs that they are now expected more than ever before to try to penetrate the Australian market.

What ?? You mean that bikies buying a couple more packets of sudafed aren't to blame for all the speed, or Mr T with his combine harvester, fields of ephedra and industrial reactor?? :blink:

I wish I had all that extra disposable income that apparently everyone else has, maybe then those interest rate rises wouldn't crusify me for mortgage repayments.

:innocent_n: My cup runneth over with a less tangible wealth.

Now the UN says it comes mostly from South-East Asia, where industrial-scale factories can churn out tonnes of illegal drugs each week.

ANY illegal drugs? Imagine just ONE tonne of lysergic acid diethylamide flooding the market, let alone tonnes.

I know that methamphetamine is a drug of dependence and much more profitable but seriously common evil drug cartels, share the drug manufacturing love a little!

My cup runneth over with a less tangible wealth.

"Yeah it's funny how many times they prove

that the only true fortune you can save

is the truth"

"Seems greed's helpful to collecting,

in your pockets but not your soul.

Sea breeze, karma philosophies,

me and my friends are richer than gold."

"cash money aint got no use for me

unless you can buy me true love"

haha I could probably come up with plenty more material-wealth isn't the best thing in the world references from this one band alone.

I don't mind being broke though. For one thing, being broke means I won't have the disposable income to be tempted to buy an overpriced and not overly good drug like meth, thank god this boom hasn't effected me.

Seriously though, if every meth junkie had a proper dose of acid they'd be tripping AND awake for far too long. And it might just kick em in the ass and knock em out of the addiction.