The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Need to elect harm minimisation MPs

Hi - Sandra Kanck here. Remember when I was under attack last year for

saying I felt safer at a rave party than in the front bar of a hotel on

a Saturday night?

Ruth Russell - the Democrats' lead candidate for the Senate in SA -

stood by me through that uproar, and I now ask you to vote for her.

The Democrats are under threat as a consequence of Nick Xenophon

choosing to run for the Senate.

NICK XENOPHON IS FIERCELY IN FAVOUR OF TOUGHER PENALTIES FOR DRUG USE,

and it was his surplus votes that got his anti-drugs running mate, Ann

Bressington, into parliament at last year's state election. Please make

sure your friends all know this so that they don't make the mistake of

voting for him.

At the present time there is no other party pursuing decent drug law

reform in South Australia, and for that reason I also ask you to give a

couple of hours on election day to hand out how-to-vote cards. If you

can help e-mail me, or phone the party office on 8371 1441. The party

also wamly welcomes donations.

Regards

Sandra Kanck

i find it funny that his name is "Xenophon". Reminds me of Xenophobia hahaha

http://au.news.yahoo.com/071014/2/14o7g.html

Xenophon names Senate running mate

South Australian independent Senate candidate Nick Xenophon has chosen a Baptist minister as his running mate in his bid to break into federal parliament.

Mr Xenophon, who attracted more than 20 per cent of the upper house vote at the last state election, last week quit his seat in the SA parliament to run for the Senate.

Originally a campaigner against poker machines but now outspoken on a variety of issues, including the future of water supplies, Mr Xenophon said he felt he could have more of an impact in federal politics.

On Monday, he named ordained minister Roger Bryson, currently the manager of Adelaide's Central Market, to take the number two position on his Senate ticket.

Having a running mate means he will now appear above the line on the Senate ballot paper, giving him a better chance of securing the necessary quota of votes to be successful.

Previously the minister at the Flinders Street Baptist Church in Adelaide, Mr Bryson also worked with Mission Australia during the 1990s.

Mr Xenophon and Mr Bryson were introduced five years ago by World Vision chief executive Tim Costello, a mutual friend.

"Roger Bryson brings a fantastic wealth of experience from both the business and welfare sectors," Mr Xenophon said.

"I'm privileged that he's agreed to be my running mate.

"Anyone who can successfully juggle these two professions is in good stead to handle the Senate."

Mr Bryson said he looked forward to the challenge of running for federal parliament alongside Mr Xenophon.

"I really want to get him over the line and being above the line will certainly help," he said.

Edited by simon_marklar

Both the Greens and the Democrats have responsible harm-reduction based drug policies - I'm a Green voter myself but have high regard for the Democrats policies too.

Kanck certainly stirred things up a bit last year, suggesting ecstasy was essentially 'safe' and encouraging pill testing. I think we should still try to impress upon people that MDMA can be dangerous if used inappropriately, but overall I agreed with her stance and felt it took a fair bit of guts to come out with it!