The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Pilosocereus glaucochrous

Woohoo!! my first columnar flowers this year :D I've owned this plant for 18 months now, and it's the first time it has flowered ever.

It stands about 2.5 feet tall above the soil. Lighting was rather terrible under tungsten lights on the deck, hard to do the colours justice. Hope the flower will be out tomorrow morn in the daylight so I can get more pics :D

_MG_9053_web.jpg

_MG_9059_web.jpg

_MG_9067_web.jpg

Beautiful flowers bit, still keen to get a few seeds if you get any and are feeling generous.

that is a gorgeous flower man!!!! almost hoya'ish like!!!!!

does anyone have a cut that i can buy or trade???

bit of a hijack here but can anyone recommend any other particularly beutiful flowering cacti sp?

what a stunner, i must add some pilos to the collection!

how old is she?

Good work bit :) Remember to consider saving some pollen while you have the chance. Desiccate, put in sealed bottle, put in freezer- easy, could give you a hybridizing opportunity when another cactus flowers.

jono genus lobivia is widely loved for its flowers, Mammillaria theresae is very pretty IMO

Aha, it just clicked... the flower seemed vaguely familiar, I figured out why

sandworm2.jpg

Dune sandworm

Thanks people :)

I would estimate this plant about 4 years old? Seed grown but not by myself. I've had it for 18 months.

Any tips on collecting pollen/seeds? What does it mean to 'dessicate' ?

What does it mean to 'dessicate' ?

To dry out thoroughly :wink:

Nice one, still u7ndecide wether I like them, the buds were prettier.

How do they smell?, u might have to get right up close & have a good whiff :wink::P , no honestly how do they?

To quote a wise man :P ...

I store pollen from my peppers et al. in the freezer, lasts for years, but you cant freeze pollen that isnt thoroughly desiccated. From my readings years ago I seem to remember this will work for cacti:

What I do is collect the pollen in miniature test tubes, a 10 ml beaker, even a mini-spoon if the plants indoors, then I put it into a 10 ml beaker and put that in a silica gel desiccator for a day, I transfer it to a 1.5 ml polystyrene microcentrifuge tube (not expensive, I just got a new pack of 100 for $4.25 USD), desiccate that with the top open for a few hours, reach in and close it real fast, put the tube in a medicine bottle filled with dry sand (insulation), label the bottle, put it in the back of the freezer.

When your about to use it the most important thing to remember is to let the vial warm to room temp before opening it.

Silica gel is the stuff in those 'Do Not Eat' packets in shoe boxes, its better to get a fair amount of a better grade tho. Not sure on convenient sources for 150 ml + quantities in Oz

wow.........sooo impressed......damn nice flower.....even in all my cactii books ive never seen a pilo flower like that(and some of these books are books on cactii flowers)suprising really because quite honestly thats up there in the top of cactii flowers...and just too rub things in after my recent move i moved all cactii.......except one...a pilo(not sure if it was a glauchrocus though) as a "present" for the new home buyers.....damn.....regretting it now!!

T.

wow.........sooo impressed......damn nice flower.....even in all my cactii books ive never seen a pilo flower like that(and some of these books are books on cactii flowers)suprising really because quite honestly thats up there in the top of cactii flowers...and just too rub things in after my recent move i moved all cactii.......except one...a pilo(not sure if it was a glauchrocus though) as a "present" for the new home buyers.....damn.....regretting it now!!

T.

id really be interested in seeing ur books on cacti flowers kaktus! im trying to colect the phenomenally flowered ones.

ihave an echinopsis roseao-liliaca about to flower today! as sooon as the sun hitsit i rekon, ill post a pic here.

i lovecacti flowers, just wish i had some pollen for my lophs!