The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

New Blue Specimen

Question

19 answers to this question

nobody knows eh... good.. that means it is rare, like the nursery said :D

nobody knows eh... good.. that means it is rare, like the nursery said :D

yeah, i was hoping to get an answer like that. It looked a bit familiar, as one I was eyeing of at an acquaintances house, had similar spines from mem... but rib formations looks different

"nobody knows eh... good.. that means it is rare, like the nursery said :D"

I saw u got an I.D at the nook but I didnt have a clue before.

Very beautiful cactus, who cares if it's rare when they're that beautiful!

Nice score.

Cipocereus bradei

I realy like the mark deadset between the areoles.

faslimy beat everyone to the punch on this one at The Nook, but shruman might have known that already. :)

bit, didn't you see the answer there a few days ago? That's why I thought this thread stalled.

~Michael~

faslimy beat everyone to the punch on this one at The Nook, but shruman might have known that already. :)

bit, didn't you see the answer there a few days ago? That's why I thought this thread stalled.

~Michael~

I did see the answer there :) But there's a decent chunk of people here who don't know about/frequent the nook and/or have different opinions to those who do, so it was worth asking here as well.

Wasn't expecting anyone to reply in two locations :)

I went to that nursery today and picked up a rather slim cutting. I hinted at the guy I would like to see the mother plant but meh, they aren't very friendly :/

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think they like young folk? Their trichs are looking terrible, and the cereus look half dead. Did you have to ask to get the cutting? I didn't see any on display?

I went to that nursery today and picked up a rather slim cutting. I hinted at the guy I would like to see the mother plant but meh, they aren't very friendly :/

Is it the tough looking guy with the hat and beard?

Santa Clause? :P Just kidding, tell me more! I like stories about unfriendly Cactus growers. bye eg

I don't think they like young folk?

i was talking to this old fella the other day who is a cactus god & he is really cool! we got talking about going to cacti & succulent society meetings & stuff & his take on it was that most of the members are a bunch of grumpy old wankers who hate young people & hate sharing their knowledge with young people & especially hate learning new growing techniques from young people.

perhaps i'm making a wild & pointless presumption but perhaps theres a link between old cactus growers & grumpy distaste for young people....then again, thats just a stupid thing to say.

LOL, well I haven't met that guy, but I have seen a photo of him on trademe.

There is a guy here though who's greenhouse I visited, and he had probably a hundred crested T.Pachanoi, and I was so excited and willing to pay anything for a big one. He is this big, burly, intimidating guy and he said "no way, you're not having any" And I pointed out that he had hundreds, and he said "yeah, but I wouldn't have any if I gave them to everyone of you bastards that came along!"

I ignored the insult and abased myself before him and he eventually said I could have a tiny one, and I kept grovelling to him to ive me for a big one and he said "well, come back in a year and show me that you've looked after that one and I will think about it"... seemed fair enough, I guess he probably thinks I want to eat it!

It has been almost a year, but now I am too scared to go and ask him again.

i was talking to this old fella the other day who is a cactus god & he is really cool! we got talking about going to cacti & succulent society meetings & stuff & his take on it was that most of the members are a bunch of grumpy old wankers who hate young people & hate sharing their knowledge with young people & especially hate learning new growing techniques from young people.

perhaps i'm making a wild & pointless presumption but perhaps theres a link between old cactus growers & grumpy distaste for young people....then again, thats just a stupid thing to say.

Do you reckon a lot of them think that young guys are only interested because of mescaline-containing cacti?

Do you reckon a lot of them think that young guys are only interested because of mescaline-containing cacti?

maybe they're just grumpy old bastards

but you have a point, a lot of youngens probably do seem a bit sus sometimes. i always try to be aware of that & just keep it real. sometimes it is hard to know what some old fellas think when you inquire only about 'specific' plants.

i'm sure the cool old fella i'm talking about has munched a fair few of his plants in his time tho :)

i hate when i feel that cacti sellers think i'm just a young punk trying to get high. i find it very insulting. but i spose there probably are a fair few knobs around who make us all look bad.

maybe they're just grumpy old bastards

but you have a point, a lot of youngens probably do seem a bit sus sometimes. i always try to be aware of that & just keep it real. sometimes it is hard to know what some old fellas think when you inquire only about 'specific' plants.

i'm sure the cool old fella i'm talking about has munched a fair few of his plants in his time tho :)

i hate when i feel that cacti sellers think i'm just a young punk trying to get high. i find it very insulting. but i spose there probably are a fair few knobs around who make us all look bad.

Yeah, I often feel cringey when I'm talking to older people about cacti, but then I remind myself that the original reason I got interested in cacti was because of the magic ones. Besides, I am sadly getting to old to get mixed up with a young punk... I wear the tight jeans, but I think they make people laugh at me, not lust after me.

I've been going to this particular nursery for quite a few years now and people who worked there were always cool but now they're gone, the older guy who owns it with someone else doesn't work there but you can find him at the local cactus & succulent meetings where he brings in nice plants at awesome prices for a raffle type thing now and then.

They have never shown me out back to all their mother plants even though i'm clearly interested. Yeah bit, I did have to ask about it. I get the feeling that if you work in a place like that you get desensitized to the beauty of such plants.

They have never shown me out back to all their mother plants even though i'm clearly interested. Yeah bit, I did have to ask about it. I get the feeling that if you work in a place like that you get desensitized to the beauty of such plants.

Makes you really wonder what they're doing out the back there doesn't it? It would be so cool to see what they've got growing. I saw they have a couple of cuzco's of decent proportions up with the rest of their trichs now. I must try to make it along to a cssnz meeting or two.

Hey NZers, I've looked on the CSSNZ's website a couple of times, but it appears there is no Christchurch branch, which seems unlikely... I noticed somewhere mention of a Christchurch cactus and succulent society, and thought maybe there was a different group down here, bu8t I can't find info on one. Do you guys know anything about this? I'd be keen to get along and piss a few of the oldies off :)