Alchemist

More tests on salvinorin extraction

[This message has been edited by Alchemist (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest sagedream

please send me a private e-mail. at [email protected]

thanks and merry X mas

SD

Originally posted by Alchemist:

A method was described earlier for the easy extraction of salvinorin A, the active ingredient of salvia divinorum. This experiment involved comparing the use of cold and warm acetone for the 'quick' extraction as well as a 24 hour stirred extraction.

The 24 hour extraction at room temp was used as the 100% extraction standard for comparing the others (1g in 50 ml +3 rinses). It was very green in colour.

The quick extractions on hand crushed leaves were done by soaking the coursely crushed leaf for one minute and filtering, followed by another similar extraction.

Results showed that the cold extraction only extracted about 45% of the available salvinorin A but was nearly colourless. Room temp acetone extracted 76% and was a little greener.

I've never been able to crystallise the salvinorin from 24 hour extracts without much purification. It is interesting to note that a clean up of this extraction by passing through silica gave about 74% of the intial concentration. This cleaned up solution was still filthy and salvinorin was still impossible to crystallise. Partitioning would be required followed maby by another clean up and of course more loss.

So, moral of the story is to use a quick 1 minute extraction exclusively for salvia, repeating it atleast once. Also, evaporate on the same day to avoid any possible decomposition in acetone (unlikely but possible). Crystallisation from ethanol will be required.

Warning do not fool around with smoking pure salvinorin unless highly experienced with salvia and its strong extractions beforehand as well as being well read on the subject. I recommend this method as a step for making clean tinctures in pure alcohol (Sieberts Emerald is 1.5mg/ml in 99% ethanol).

[This message has been edited by sagedream (edited 20 December 2001).]

hi,

how can further purifcation be achived?

im, not an alchemist yet, so give it in

easy terms if able.

agitation?,freezdry?binding chemicals?

invertions?destillations?ether-graese

cutting?syphoning?

i,want to learn please privat e-mail me

wolfgang

where in melbourne can i obtain suitable acetone in small quantities? ie. is it easily obtainable in small quantities from chemical supply places?

Im aware it is used for paint thinning but doesnt this type contain impurities? Or is this type good enough for extracting legal plant materials.

Just about any hardware shop.

~ $7 for 500ml.

If you bring your own tin you can get it cheaper at paint right and those places.

Just remember to check for pure, 100% etc on the lable.

If in doubt you can let some evaporate off a plate or something and check for any residue.

Hi alchemist,

This is great work. Have you tried this technique with any Salvia splendens varieties? I'd be curious to hear the results of that.

Adam.