The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jordan

lophophora id

Question

hi everyone, these are my lophophora cacti, would anyone be able to help me out by identifying what varietes they are ? thanks.

post-1043-1188021491_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Nice cacti!

I would call the one in the clay pot L. williamsii caespitose.

The others look like L. williamsii to me but clearer photos & a photo of the flower will help no end.

Oh by the way theres a seperate cacti & succ identification subforum for future use.

Nice cacti!

I would call the one in the clay pot L. williamsii caespitose.

The others look like L. williamsii to me but clearer photos & a photo of the flower will help no end.

Oh by the way theres a seperate cacti & succ identification subforum for future use.

thanks mate ,

i will get some more pics when they flower next

thanks mate ,

i will get some more pics when they flower next

what makes you think they are not regular willys?

what makes you think they are not regular willys?

when i got them they didnt have a lable and i wasnt sure if any of them where lophophora koehresii

Its almost impossible to tell without a photo of the flowers, except for a mature L. williamsii, which has very distinct ribs. The two in the far left/right pots would appear to be a possible fricci/diffusa/koehresii, and the bottom one I am leaning towards a diffusa or possibly williamsii. But it all comes down to flowers. Have a look at my thread in the ID subforum that shows all the Loph species side by side and gives descriptions for a better idea.

And yep, the one in the top clay pot is L. williamsii var. caespitosa - love them ones!

Very nice specimens BTW!

EDIT: My above ID claims are based solely upon the rib structures - williamsii has very defined ribs (usually vertical or spiralling, with up to 13 ribs), whereas the other species (under the new title of Diffusae, as recommended in the Kaktusy books) all have diffuse ribs and have a pinecone or fishscale look about them.

Remember when they flower:

If they are bright pink/reddish = fricii

If they are yellowish-greenish-pinkish with petals shaped similar to williamsii = diffusa

If long, pointed, pinkish petals = koehresii (syn. viridescens)

Small light pink, usually with a slightly darker mid stripe but rounded tips on petals = williamsii

Edited by Ace