The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Grafting Comp- Oct 2007

Yes I think its a good idea, certianly probably start in june and certianly other species than lophs aswell :)

Pm me your details and Ill send you the loverly prize made by Auxin :D and some other stuff.

Congratulations bob-bob on the very pretty flower, bet you can't wait to recieve your trophy. Great work watertrade. They'll be sort after the world over :wub: .

people might be able to get them soon!

I wasn't going to sell them but times are hard and a few extra $ would go a long way!

of course I would take trades too ;)

this will be the last time I hijack this thread.

the following pics are of the first finished bronze cast. it was the first to be experimented on - I think I have the hang of it now.

this particular one was one of the rough ones - you can see the pitted surface on the pups this was the problem I had at the casting stage - and its missing one of its pups. The other two at this stage are much cleaner with less pitting.

post-903-1210066251_thumb.jpg

post-903-1210066268_thumb.jpg

post-903-1210066280_thumb.jpg

:drool2: :drool2: Nice work WT. Are these trophies for this round?

If so I would happily throw some cash or a trade at ya.

Cheers.

I can't enter but well done watertrade, those casts are amazing.

Peace,

Mind

Thats some skillful work there WT :) A fitting prize for a great comp! Pitty its most likely the last comp to include lophs, I do hope the comp continues with other button cacti such as Astro's and Ario's.

Anyways, legendary job WT :worship: Them winners are lucky sons-a-beeches :drool2:

Thanks guys, making the bronze lophs has been a good experience & I hope to continue making them for a few competitions to come. :) I have plans for a few more casts too.

:drool2: :drool2: Nice work WT. Are these trophies for this round?

If so I would happily throw some cash or a trade at ya.

Cheers.

these are for this round... congrats - I just need to get the bases and I'll shoot one your way. :)

I'm not worried about getting paid for them although any trades are most welcome. I have put my own $s into materials and a lot of time so any donations will be very happily received. ;)

Nice work bob, u dark horse, well done!

Trophies are awesome plumber, u can tell theres a lot of hard work there but obviously a labor of love, much like growing loph's.

I should chuck some more piccies up soon.

wow, the trophies are amazing!

Yeah no shit, can't believe how good those look. I think I'd pay double the price of an actual loph for one of those!

geeeze thanks guys - :wub: I'm glad you like them - good for my ego ;)

the other two are actually much cleaner without so much pitting so look much better - I will take some pics when they are finished and post them in a different thread.

I think I'd pay double the price of an actual loph for one of those!

how much are lophs of that size? - people have asked about buying them & I don't really have any idea how much to ask for.

Edited by watertrade

I was selling them for $10-$15, I reckon you start at $30 or more for the trophies though :D

I was selling them for $10-$15, I reckon you start at $30 or more for the trophies though :D

I wish I could sell them for $30, but unfortunatly they will have to be fair bit more to cover costs and time. Also, I wish I knew you were selling plants for $10 - $15!

Anyway,anyone who wants one should get fired up for the next comp and win one! I'm looking forward to the next comp. If it is open to Astrophytum and Ariocarpus I look forward learning how its done successfully.

Seriously I reckon what ever price you pick will be fine, they are truly awersome WT :D

Arrrr WT

i think probly the best way to find out how much you could get for em ( a unique piece to to set a base price to cover costs atleast) put one up for auction on ebay,

you might be surprised how much you get for it, but you might have to put its in the cacti categry, so it gets seen by target shoppers.

i'd pay prolly couple hundy for one, well a polished one and cured to keep the bronze look, but no need for an ornament at the moment :o)

i'm still not home to settle into a LIV'N again, i'm still traveling!

what about a bronze bridgsii,pach and peruvian? is that possible?

obviously without the spines!

if you do end up selling them auction them off and set a reserve at the minimum you would ask for.

i think you will do quite well, they look incredible

Edited by Hagakure

i'd pay prolly couple hundy for one, well a polished one and cured to keep the bronze look, but no need for an ornament at the moment :o)

i'm still not home to settle into a LIV'N again, i'm still traveling!

what about a bronze bridgsii,pach and peruvian? is that possible?

obviously without the spines!

I was just putting the stamp in the box when I saw... " but no need for an ornament..." ;)

When i was first discussing it with Teo and when he offered to send the first few plants to cast ( which are still alive btw ) I wasn't sure what to expect - i thought that maybe it would have been grafted onto a columnular cacti of some kind so I looked at a few ways of getting the spines - we figured out a way of doing it with bronze mig welding wire- each spine would need to be hand made and drilled into place but it would look cool - fragile... but very good. although the short spined cacti would be better. you can get a heap of detail if you want it - I have some peres stock and started making some Loph flowers. some people will think I'm mad but watch out for the bronze cast fungi. ;)

well i hope your still making them when i get back to 'AU WT,

coz i'll send ya a few hundy for something like this.

i dunno how you would go t making a broze copy of my loph, its got plenty of pups, 30 something at last count that was 2 years ago!!!!

Edited by jasemateau

Sorry to go away from the trophies (WT, they are fricking MINTOX!)

but this is an update to my entry... it's about 3.6cm wide, not measured properly yet... not getting hopes up until the day. No pups, just getting bigger by the day, seems to have gone into movement again :)

post-3727-1211456542_thumb.jpg

Sorry to go away from the trophies (WT, they are fricking MINTOX!)

Not at all!, this thread should be about grafting!

nice graft BTW. :)

Nice work gilligan, looks like she will flower soon.

Nice work gilligan, looks like she will flower soon.

Cheers - Grin - rub it in re flowering...:)

that's what i thought about a month ago... but yeah, i reckon that she'll flower soon - definitely looking that way... Nice and fluffy - if she does, i've got a 5cm ungrafted which looks liek it'll be flowering around the same time (touch wood) i'll be cross pollinating with. My first 2 varieta cross :)

Hey everyone,

Hope all your grafts are coming along fine.

Here is an update of my biggest. Its now reached the 4.5cm mark and still growing (slowly) and has 8 ribs

post-3173-1211795183_thumb.jpgpost-3173-1211795214_thumb.jpg

My runner up has recovered from the grasshopper attack and is currently 4cm and still growing (she's in a spurt now) and has 6 ribs.

I'll post a pic of my runner up if she takes over my biggest graft.

post-3173-1211795183_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1211795214_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1211795183_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1211795214_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahli

My entry is pumping along at the moment, it's hit about 3.5 cm diametre at the moment

post-1315-1212065741_thumb.jpg

Although ever since it hit about 1cm it started to sprout roots, here it is from behind

post-1315-1212066108_thumb.jpg

It doesn't seem to be affecting the growth rate so it's kind of a cool abnormality (probably not that uncommon, I just haven't seen it posted before)

Goodluck everyone :)