The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
rahli

Trichocereus?

Question

Saw this gnarly cacti at the nursery and went home and checked out my san pedro book.

From memory I id'ed it as Trichocereus taquimbalensis but now I've got her home I'm not so sure.

Does anyone recognise this cacti?

Thanks.

post-3173-1187319536_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1187319562_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1187319584_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Awesome specimen! The ribs definately look Trich-like, although them spines look quite unusual for a trich (or at least the more common varieties). It still seems fairly young, so it makes it more difficult again... I'm sure MSSmith or Trout will be able to provide a name :)

Hi Rahli, Conan is right! Thats not a Trich! It´s Stetsonia coryne! Nice plant though! bye Eg

Thanks Evil Genius

Seems to be the only species in its genus and closely related to Trichocereus. Fairly unique alkaloid profile, though low in mesacline (< 0.01%).

Pretty happy.

Does anyone know if they require a separate plants pollen to fruit. Being so closely related to Trichocereus I would guess so.

There is another at the nursery might have to buy it to have some chance at gaining seed in the future.

Does anyone know if they require a separate plants pollen to fruit.

Not sure but i think so. If you are patient you can buy the other one too and try to get seeds. But you should have a good setup. Stetsonia Coryne is still pretty rare in the collections around here though i sometimes see them in the bigger cash and carry markets. If you like the species you can grow them from seeds! This is probably the cheapest way! Knize has seeds of Stetsonia coryne v.procera!

I like these plants and i bought some myself when i started collecting. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks all.

i think I have one of those... would it be any good for grafting? is it a fast grower?

Hi Xipetotec, it grows relatively fast! Somehow i had the feeling that the stetsonias grew a little bit slower than the Trichs. But i assume this also depends on the health of every single plant. So yeah, feel free to graft and please share some pics. I´d like to see how they are suited as a grafting stock as i´ve never used them myself. bye Eg

Hi Xipetotec, it grows relatively fast! Somehow i had the feeling that the stetsonias grew a little bit slower than the Trichs. But i assume this also depends on the health of every single plant. So yeah, feel free to graft and please share some pics. I´d like to see how they are suited as a grafting stock as i´ve never used them myself. bye Eg

thanks... will do