The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vertmorpheus

Recent Acquisitions

Question

Not a lot grows around here, this time of year, so the idle garden gnomes eyes can get above the level of a barrow of cocopeat and notice the bleedingly obvious.

The monstrose is on a route I drive once or twice a week, along a very calm stretch of road in the midst of some crazy,crazy backstreets (that wilston/lutwyche/days road/grange back sections for you Brisbanians). For some reason the other day I looked straight at it, peering at me over a front fence. Standing about a metre and a half tall, I have no idea why I havent spotted it before. The owners (after working out I wasn't going to rob them) let me take a large lump for nothing (50 cm or so, and about 10cm wide at some points... I asked for one of the lil pups on her for a few dollars to start with... all it ended up costing was getting the newspaper out of the front yard for the old girl). Apparently the parent material is from Mt. Isa. It looks fairly different in some hard to define ways from my other monstrose (a C. hildemannius). Any ideas what it's meant to be, species-wise? Just a standard peruvianus or some cousin thereof? It started off much scabbier looking, spiders, mites, scale, the usual suspects...a lil time with an old soft toothbrush and a mix of warm water, ti tree oil and seasol has it looking a million bucks. No, I didn't shave it, but I don't keep the standard scale device (ie a bic lighter) in the bathroom. And don't talk about the state of my tiles unless you're going to come and clean the fuckers too :lol:

The bubby one was rescued from a slow, grisly death at my local bunnings (the lengths we go to for more cocopeat). I rarely look at the "desert friends" trays as they're usually the stumpy ones, barrels etc. This little guy seemed to wink. I have my suspicions, but given my pach bubs are being measured in months rather than years of age I have little around for an in the flesh comparison. Being Hamilton chump stock the tag means nothing necessarily, but I have to wonder what actual Mexicans think of those images :lol: I know the kind of phone calls youd get if you started putting say a caricature Aborigine on a potted Xanthorrhea or something! This lil guy is about 4cm tall, cost me 3 bucks. Not spongey or dry feeling, decent roots under it. From the look of the spines, he's had a tumble on a daily basis thanks to the gutter scrapings hamilton seems happy to ship a cactus in sometimes.

Any ideas very much appreciated (not interesting in hearing about investment in Nigerian fox tail plantations though),

VM

post-1110-1185107675_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185107807_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185107829_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185107866_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185107900_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185107929_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1185108013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vertmorpheus

8 answers to this question

No 1. Cereus peruvianus monstrose (melted wax)

No 2.looks like a little T. peruvianus Ive got but could be stetsonia or something.

Hi VM, very nice finds! I know this clone and i have it myself. But i usually forget the botanical name. I´m not sure but it could be a Lophocereus Schottii monstr.!

The one from Bunnings looks cool! It almost looks like my seedgrown KK339s but at that age it´s hard to tell!

Nigerian fox tail plantations?? :scratchhead:

:drool2:

Shruman, thanks for letting me know because of No.1! Are you for sure? I´ll finally be able to label mine too!

That is definitely not Lophocereus schottii var monstrose (syn Pachycereus schottii v monstrose).

Pachycereus_schottii2.jpg

I was just testing you, Apo! Congratulations, you succeeded! :wink:

lol, I ´m surely just kidding! Sorry for misleading you guys :drool2:

Edited by Evil Genius

"Shruman, thanks for letting me know because of No.1! Are you for sure? I´ll finally be able to label mine too!"

Pretty sure EG its quite common in aus but Ive been wrong before.

What species are ur kk339s EG?

Shruman, I trust you and put it on the label! Thanks!

The KK339 is a Peruvianus of some sort! I have about ten and all of them look exactly like these! Very similar! bye Eg

I reckon your little desert friend from bunnings is a T. bridgesii, or aka E. lagenformis (spelling?)

I just got one myself actually, $3 with the infamous "spike" label, but this one actually had a small paper sticky label added on saying T.bridgesii. And after growing 500 of the little bastards from seed this year, I reckon they're right....

I also scored some kind of crestform cactus (no idea what it is) for $4 with the same desert friends label you had on yours... Love the "cactus juice" bottle :wink:

Edited by philistine