The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
simon_marklar

20kg mushroom found

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22054784-13762,00.html

0,,5562243,00.jpg

A MORE than 20kg mushroom has been picked in a forest in Mexico's southernmost state of Chiapas, university officials said today.

The white mushroom, macrocybe titans, measured a towering 70cm tall, was found near Tapachula, near the Guatemalan border, according to the Southern Border University Centre.

if they do that to plants then it is a shame, but with a mushroom, so what? it would have been a pile of slime in a few days anyway. as long as it got to drop a few spores it has served it's purpose. in fact, dragging it all over the countryside will spread more spores in more places.

http://www.nybg.org/bsci/res/hall/mcybe.html

Heres another giant mushroom.

But woody.

Hard to see. Just from the spore releasing bottom as a guess . It looks circular pore foe spore release not the linear. As in P.S.

But many woody types of mushroom have medical propertys.

I wish I had some pics to back this up, but Ive seen mushrooms that size up around Grafton, nth NSW. Theres a road called "waterfall Way" (I think.... this is stretching the memory banks here...) but along the road is a small rest stop/camping area at the top of some waterfalls (can't remember what they're called either) and there are mushrooms that size growing around the carpark.

Not sure what you call them, Ive always known them as Slippery Jacks, brown on top and slimy, with yellow sponge instead of gills.

My mum and I used to pick the smaller versions down south in Victoria in pine forests and make traditional polish style mushroom dumplings.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ dumplings....

you coould probably have called them pirogi, we'd dry the mushrooms for storage, then when it came time to cook, soak them in hot water, dice them real fine and fry them with finely diced onion and butter. Then you make little pastry circles with a cup or a glass to use as a cutter and fold a little spoonful of the mushroom mix and seal the edges. These were then baked and served with piping hot Borscht..... (which is a soup made from fermented beetroot) SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD......

Sorry, that went completley off topic there.....

I was living in oregon at one time and its like a rain forest for mushrooms.

The mushroom weren't very tasty as far as cook would say, even fresh.

But did grow from a complex moss covering.

Which might grow back being a nontropical rain forest.

But the mushroom people came and ripped upped the moss covering.

So not as many giant mushrooms.

Boletus I think its called.

Not tasty.

You should have seen the number of Top Remain Noodle packages I saw after harvesting.

Biggest mushroom I've ever seen growing at the farm I work at was a mutant Flat, that weighed about 4.5kg's. That was as big as a dinner plate. But that thing is a monster!

Wow! :lol:

And, yeah, there's nothing wrong with picking a mushroom. As long as it's veil has broken, it's done it's job.

Any idea on size of spores eg diameter?

Awesome!

The spore print would have made an interesting piece of art! :wub: