The Corroboree
Aya

Like the title say's, just having trouble changing my avatar. I can get rid of it, and then no avatar is displayed. But then when i upload a new one, the new one is uploaded and is shown in my controls, but my old avatar is still shown in my posts, old and new.

Any idea why this is Torsten?

Edited by Aya

Yeah i thought it might be just some kind of delay thing with the forum. Atleast i know it's not just me then, thanks for that SST. :wink:

Apparently mine is or was still set to the Space Hopper for a while after I changed it, should be some purdy clouds now, hard to tell for sure haha. Observer and observerd n all.

eh, a queenslander with any other photo still sounds as deranged :P

VM

it's not a forum delay, but usually due to YOU being on a p®oxy server.

aya, what is the image you are hoping to be on right now and what is the image you can see?

Meant no offence to the forum Torsten, just thought that due to all the information it stores of every member that it may take awhile for it to refresh with the updated information of individual members. I'm not very computer/internet savvy so i dont know much about proxy servers and so forth.

I'm happy to wait and let the new picture upload in it's own good time i just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a problem with the forum.

aya, no offense taken. just trying to make sure you know how it works.

please answer the question too or I can't actually help you. keeping in mind that you might not be seeing the same as me.

proxies are designed to store images and even whole pages of pages frequently visited through that ISP. so, rather than your ISP getting a new copy of aya-avatar.jpg every time it serves this page, it simply keeps a copy of that file on the ISP's server and dishes it up from there. This dramatically reduces the amount of traffic between an ISP and the web, but it also means sometimes you get served up old crap.

So, if you ISP notices that your avatar is always the same it will keep that file on the proxy and won't bother getting the new one for a few days. You can override this in most cases with super refresh [hold crtl + hold shift + click reload/refresh]. This may only work if the only file is the avatar. ie you may first need to right click your avatar and 'show image'.

Anyway, you could also tell us what your old avatar is and what the new one is [like I requested] so we can tell you if it worked.

Most [if not all] ISPs maintain a proxy server or run through a provider who does. Regardless of wireless etc.

Btw, these problems may not even be proxy server issues, but could be from your own cache too. super refresh fixes most.

Hey Torsten, thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now. And the super refresh did the trick!

Peace, Aya

I was wondering how to get moving avatars? When I upload one it doesn't move but I have seen others here that do. Thanks.

You have to get the moving picture you want in a .gif format (which is usually the format of moving images anyway) then upload that. Well that looks like it would work to me.

And if you are handy with Flash you can make your own .gif.

Peace

Nah they are gif format, still aren't working. The brain in my current avatar is supposed to jump around merrily in the frying pan but no love.. I have tried others here too and none of them worked.

no idea. maybe Pm one of the members who have moving avatars so they can post instructions here.

If you want an animated avatar you have to host it elsewhere and specify the URL to your avatar control thingy instead of uploading it.

If you upload a .gif file the server will convert it to flat (i.e. unanimated) .png