The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
alien

Growing mushrooms

Hey smile.gif

i was wondering, hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to grow mushrooms using the jar method what jars would one use in Australia? Anyone know whats good? thanks smile.gif

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by alien:

Hey   smile.gif

i was wondering, hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to grow mushrooms using the jar method what jars would one use in Australia? Anyone know whats good? thanks   smile.gif

Yeah, bugger of a question. I just collected SPC fruit jars from Coles, but it's a pricey business, and the lids rust. They work but.

In fact I got "almost" everything I needed from one Westfield centre. Great really smile.gif

Guest reville

Try recycled pasta sauce jars.

Dolmio or canton or the glass vegemite jars are really good and reusable.

clean well after use with water and the soak in napi san or another chlorine bleach.

i use it for all my grain spawn for edibles and medicinals but it would work just as well for jar teks.

BTW cakes that side outr are overrated

if you carefully crumble a cake and lay it out in a tray it will reform within a couple of days as the severed hyphae re-join.

saves all the hassle of tapered jars IMHO

you could also use any drinking glass,and use foil then some vermiculite then foil with a rubber band around it ,[the bands usually survive in the boiling pot]then some

masking tape while they incubate,i have NEVER

had contams and never had a jar lid ,so it's

pretty safe........

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by turps:

then some

masking tape while they incubate,

I have a friend in micro who advised me that using masking tape is common practice for petry cultivation because it breathes. I use it over my lids.

on a similar topic.

Does anyone know the legal status of importing mushroom spores?

Usually i would use spores from other shrooms, but ive just moved to melbourne and dont know any spots.

I know that the spores arent illegal, im just concerned that there may be a quarantine issue regarding plant/fungal material being imported?

id buy the cheapest jars you can find that are around 450-500mLs - can usually find something for 50-80cents/jar