The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ashoka

A sceletium? I doubt it. Please help ID..

Question

A friend of mine was given the plant below as a sceletium. It is clearly not a Sceletium, but what is it then? My friend said it was active and he used it many times.

The mother plant and a cutting.

asupposedscellysmalllr3.jpg

Closeup of motherplant:

supposedscellyclsupsmalaw6.jpg

Edited by Ashoka

8 answers to this question

No ideas whatsoever? Do you at least agree that the plant in question is not a Sceletium?

No ideas whatsoever? Do you at least agree that the plant in question is not a Sceletium?

doesnt look like any I have

Havent a clue, just wanted to say its good to see your still around :) been a while

I only have one scelly but it seems legit (that CT is nice bloke)... a lot like my Aptena but not the same... the thing in your photos reminds me a lot of angular pigface (Carpobrotus glaucescens) , but a little less angular, the AP is Aizoaceae too, so maybe your mate got lucky with a new find if it is active. A lot of my succs tend to shapeshift in terms of leaf size and growth habits depending on water/food/light.

suck it and see?

GD

Looks more like Crassulaceae than Aizoaceae to me. Maybe a green Crassula capitella "Campfire".

It's active? How? Orally? What are the effects? How did your friend find out about it?

Very interesting.

I just went out and harvested a leaf of the crassula I mentioned above (from an almost dead plant), and to my surprise, it was somewhat bitter. Please tell us more about your friends experiences with this plant.

Looks more like Crassulaceae than Aizoaceae to me.

I agree.

Yes, give us the low down on activity please....

Thanks for the replies.

Someone from the netherlands sent a cutting of this plant to my friend and I guess they believed it to be a Sceletium.

Concerning the effects my friend used to chew the leaves straight off the plant and said he felt stimulated afterwards. I tried it with him once, but I can't recall any specific effects since I was drunk at the time.

Maybe I should bioassay it again. Does the Crassulaceae contain anything poisonous?

Auxin, I lurk here often, but post rarely. This forum is one of the best on ethnobotany on the net.

Edited by Ashoka