The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

Wild cacti ID

Question

7 answers to this question

I'd say C. peruvianus too, though them spines look somewhat abnormal - perhaps a variant species? I dont know most of the other cereus species, it could be one of the lesser known ones, but definately a cereus of some sort :)

I'd agree that it is a Cereus, it's not C. peruvianus though.

I've got one of these growing i think, looks very similar to a specimen in the Adl. Botanic labelled Cereus Hexagonus. Quite a nice colour and shape compared to the C.peruvianus imo...

Plenty of photos if you google C.hexagonus.

Micro

Was just thinking Agamemnon, you say these are growing wild in the bush? You should probably do the right thing and dig them out really. If you do I would'nt mind a cutting [or small rooted plant etc.] and possibly some small offshoots of the Agave & Aloe that are in the pictures. Would you consider this?

All of these cacti and succulents would make a nice addition to any collectors garden and you could have a nice large sized specimen cactus in yours.

The spines suggest it is more likely to be Cereus jamaracu than peruvianus but I really hate IDing cactus from photos since its really easy to make errors and add to the mythology already present in abundance.

That assemblage looks like it was someone's planting not a wild one. The local wildlife probably appreciate its presence due to the tasty fruit Cereus usually make.

Edited by trucha