The Corroboree
Koala (Luke Perth)

Internal Mail

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what methods are used for mail sent within Australia to check for bad stuff? Do they use X-ray, sniffer dogs, etc.....

Cheers

are u asking due to quarantine in your state? or due to illegal substances(which ofcourse is just a hypothetical question which u r asking out of interest)?

Either way wouldn't the methods for checking be the same? Or does each state use different methods?

I didnt think they realy checked mail in aus.

Ive known people who have gotten weekly gas deliveries through the mail.

Once when I was sending seed I had 2 get it weighed & cause it was an oddly bulky envelope the girl asked what u sending (bit nosey) & I said seeds & she said not pot seeds (probly cause I have an 'alternative' look) I laughed pretty hard & said no.

If your only talking about plants and seeds that ARE legal in other states, they will get through pretty much 100% of the time.

SWIM has received many seeds, plants and cacti in a quarantined state, some with the contents written on them :slap: and with dirt and sand leaking out of the box :P

I wouldn't recommend anyone send anything that is illegal throughout the country though, just asking for trouble.

Yeah it seems a bit different in WA, but even then, plenty of people get things thru, its more a matter of acting in good faith and getting your arse kicked if you do get pinched for it. My other half's aunty (my auntyinlaw?) works for AP in brissie (big sortin place)... they get requests to divert mail for certain people or areas at times, rarely, more of an issue if you want to send a letter from say lakemba to iran, or nimbin to the gold coast and its a 20 kilo box... but its really aimed at individual addresses (this uses the same processes they use to redivert mail when you move, it isnt perfect but its close enough.) They have capacity to xray if they want to, but they cant do it routinely due to the amount of disks and tape people send around,negatives, seeds etc. They have chem sniffers at certain bottlenecks, but thats more a matter of oxidisers, ketones, things like that.So no mailing that three tonnes of c4 you managed to get out of xmas crackers. Anything bulky or suss looking (shaped like an xmas tree wrapped in paper, 6 foot long 4 feet wide and stinks of buds) is more likely to get pulled, especially where air travel is concerned... but ultimately if they were checking every last thing as a matter of course, a, itd take a month to a get a letter from bris to syd, b, you couldnt do it for a buck or less c, theyd get rid of the "sign here" bit , the safety dec... that is there mainly because they don't and can't look, but if someones truck gets fragged they can always say "well some one said it was safe". (in comic book terms).

most people mailing seeds etc are bright enough to slip em a fold of paper or something, light stiff card, those tough padded bags... this helps stop sorting machines and rollers crunch the seeds, makes it feel like a regular letter (no little bumps), remember if your package snags, it might rip open... could be a bad look. make sure no loose bits of leaf matter can escape (of course its legal, but you still dont want anyone thinking otherwise), no leaking liquids etc (thats just rude to other mail anyway), no chemical wiff. Overpay the postage a lil so there is no reason to hold it up (if usin stamps or prepaids etc), and for gods sake, don't label anything illegal as such, and I know you don't have to write like an adult, or put a return address on it... but at least attempt the first and fake the last.. some things I get, looks like Mrs. Smiths grade 2 class is about to let me know they want me to Get Well Soon haha, or some kind of deaththreat given the lack of senders details :lol:

But remember, it's out of your hands... and you never do know... so only take a knowing risk, and don't risk more than you are willing or able to pay.

I'd worry more about thieving kids and ID scammers flogging it once the postie left the nice fat padded bag dangling out of your mailbox all day. (those wee padded bags are great, for al ot of reasons).I'll try and get yez some more info, but really, I wouldn't sweat it hey.

go postal?

GD

edity bit... the xray thing may differ in other areas, there might be gear that is just strong enough to take a peek and not mess with the contents... we dont have it here in brissie at any rate. If they are routinely xraying, it's going to be automated, looking for certain traits in the contents, certain outlines, densities, combined with the sniffer results , then it'd be pulled on the basis of statistical likelihood... sydney GPO simply cant xray every last box by hand and eye... I imagine they'd really shit about anything with wiring, liquids, opaque materials/coatings and anything the machine hasn't seen before. Or maybe not. A lot of people send all kinds of shit all over the place.

Edited by greendreams

pot sometimes gets found at mail centres. particularly in my area and in sydney it seems. too many ex-olympics sniffer dogs in NSW.

plants sometimes get found in WA. not sure how they detect them, but probably xray or sniffer dogs.

seeds [in small quantities] virtually never get caught up.

Could be that the mail centre/s are the the first real work they get the dogs to do, somewhere without as much pressure as an airport etc. Doesnt change much either way, fucked is fucked :lol: Might have em on a rotational thing with some other facilities. Might just be the chem sniffers set up a lil differently, they're fairly amazing things. Could be the xray is trained up to spot cartoonishly typical bags of weed. I'd recommend mailing those illegal drugs as packing around a big, blatant dildo... they'd have set the machine to say yes when it came to "you have detected a dildo...cancel or allow" haha. Or maybe not.

People also tend to forget that mail sits around now n then... a stick in a package doesnt smell much ... but what if half the mail in the bag freakishly turns out to be a pair of socks with a stick in the middle? or even just the distinct smell of your little order getting heated up by time in the post box, sorting rooms, cargo hold of some big thumping plane... I know by about 3:30 most afternoons some people could smell a one cone chunk thru a kilo of coffee haha. One idea some people use is to get the names on the mail that turns up at your place for people that moved out 10 years ago, but they still get three letters a week...send to those names, use bullshit ones to receive I guess. But if you go mailing illegal drugs around, there is always going to be a chance of getting done, or the letter being delivered by accident to the 14 year old kid next door.... like I said, it's out of your hands once it goes thru the slot.

stay safe eh?

GD

I'd recommend mailing those illegal drugs as packing around a big, blatant dildo... they'd have set the machine to say yes when it came to "you have detected a dildo...cancel or allow" haha.
That idea has been done before :lol: that battery compartment in dildos is nice and big. The only tricky part is designing the "Bobs Refurbished Adult Toys" return label so it looks professional

A few years back I put two joints in a ciggarette packet, sealed it up with tape, put it into a padded bag, mailed it (from one country town to another) and it all went through fine.

Guest homoGenius
A few years back I put two joints in a ciggarette packet, sealed it up with tape, put it into a padded bag, mailed it (from one country town to another) and it all went through fine.

Wow I'd love to have dreams like that too.

Guest Øskorei
most people mailing seeds etc are bright enough to slip em a fold of paper or something, light stiff card, those tough padded bags... this helps stop sorting machines and rollers crunch the seeds, makes it feel like a regular letter (no little bumps), remember if your package snags, it might rip open... could be a bad look.

Seeds get through even without such well thought out p&p methods. But yes, to err on the side of caution is always great. There's a $5 standard post sachet that AP sells (the red one) that holds a VHS type box size, so one can fashion a cardboard device that give no indicators of either seed or plant material, and it just slips through the system. The bozes on their own howver are a bit tricky, as in many cases the AP system identifies them as a DVD, and holds them at the local PO. The box in a bag holds no such issue.

Good comment GD makes about the seeds being crushed, and a couple of cardboard wedges even in the standard envelope makes for a smoother transition.