The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

Pedro Wood

Ended up finding a Nice pedro with who else but Yowie last year, got a few cutting off it and the lady mentioned to us that there is a log there if we wanted so we sussed it out. Was about 2metres or so long and 20cms + in width and old hard leathery skin. We chopped it up with a chainsaw into more managable sized pieces and i kept two of the pieces which chucked about 20 or so pups in around 8months.

Went away to camp start of year, left the stumps outside we got huge downpours and high humidity while i was away. One of the Stumps started to rot and busted its rotten guts... quite a stank to it heh heh. Anyway with time it slowly decomposed and dried itseld out leaving a hard log of pedro wood.

I cleaned the log up early this arvo and put it somewhere where it can dry out when sunny. Was planning to carve the stump as a staff but doubt i will as it is hollow and has this funky pattern created by all the interweaving core fibres. I will probably sand it back a little and cut some of the stump/joints off and make into small cups, just gotta suss out water proofing em.

Quite a beauty piece of wood the pedro is seems to generate a warm inviting presence, would be great within a mesa setup.

Heres some photos

100_0587.jpg

100_0588.jpg

100_0589.jpg

100_0593.jpg

awesome YT

Amazing! Why not just use it as a natural sculpture? Nail or glue it to a square piece of ply? Would make an interesting feature to any home and a great conversation starter. You could also use it as a centrepiece for a mesa I would think. It's up to you though. :wink:

On the waterproofing if you do make cups, a non toxic water resistant enamel type paint might be the go or some non toxic water resistant varnish.

yeah or perhaps a mug rack

Or even a funky lamp?

:wink:

That is tops - I never thought a pedro would look like that after a bit of rot! Imagine if they found fossilised remains of something like that - now that'd be a collectors item!

I like elzar's idea - a mug rack or a hat rack! it's just begging to become a sculpture of some sort... Hmmm, the possibilities!

Get a simple base made for it, then get someone handy with metal to make a few twisted hooks or sconces for it, sure it'd tuck in somewhere nicely enough! For being from a dry tolerant plant it actually looks like it'd be great to grow epiphytes on, nice and corky if I'm seeing it right? but still fairly tough... would be a change of scenery for mr stump at any rate.maybe get it sectioned, bevel the edges of the discs, polish them up with some cabots wax or something and then use them all to make some big clinking windchime thing? Dry some of it right up, grind up and use as fibre component in incense (just on principle ?). Use it as the centrepiece in a nice socially minded campfire ;) ? Turn it upside down after levelling off the branchy bits some, fix a base if it wont stand already, get a saucer type arrangement either turned from wood or made of terracotta etc put on the "skinny" end and then it can act as a support from something columnar and branching in a pot so long as it was stable neough it would be a nice mirroring of forms etc. Put a hat and clothes on it and talk to it when blasted. Use it to make some kind of altar. An alternative to the more common xmas tree, some tinsel and lights? Do the aussie thing, and make it into a letterbox? Turn it upside down and make it into a lamp, nice trippy fabric shade or some tinkly brass shiny bits, lovely! Tonya Todman go away! WRite a song about it like ren n stimpy "its stump, its stump....". Compost it and use it to grow more cactus. I'd be inclined as a keeper of weird bits of this n that to just tack the feather you found here, the weird button you found there, until one day it'll be some bizarrely rich and adorned looking artifact to leave to your stumped (haha) relatives. Mother of all paperweights? Roll clay onto those great looking fibrous areas to capture the pattern then use them as tiles somewhere, it looks great. A cat might like to use it as a scratching post if you're an animal lover. Let a lizard move into it if its hollow enough. Dry it right out, cut into 1kg and 500 g pieces and make a crazed set of scales out the back for weighing more cactus. Hang it horizontally and grow old mans beard on it. Do the same with a dish at each end and the local birds would like it. Then youget free fert dropped under it. I'm not sure how it'd look sectioned along its length, then laid so both fresh cut inside bits are uppermost, as a support for a glass tabletop, fix legs underneath to the "barky" bits and arrange the two pieces so they lie head to toe to spread the support and look. maybe. The mug holder idea would be good at one end of a bar, or keys near the front door on a table or something (doesnt look too tall, is that a bread crate?). Carve heads into the outside , then drill the middle out, put a light in there like a crazed Pedro o lantern. Use it to open nuts at christmas. Cement on end into the ground and tie the dog to it. Put it near your baby cactii as an inspirational example for them to aspire to.Knock on it for luck. Sell it on ebay. Mail it to the local drugs squad. Carve a set of runes from it. native bees might like to live in it, they have a kind of spherical cell set up and the holes thru it might help that out.Use it as a ramplog in a frogpond so the little ones can get out of the water.paint the entire thing hot pink and call it Art. Keep it around til you next accidentally get cactus poisoning and see what it tells you to do with it I guess.

its better than bad, its good!

GD

GD, you're a f*cking ideas man, mate! If I ever need inspiration, I'll be sure to knock on your door! :worship:

Wow thats pretty amazing.

Ild go with a funky sculpture lamp with different colored globes attached to all the stumps :)

edit -- Hanging from the ceiling with a lizard living in it, or if ur a birds man with some birds on it (still with the lights )

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

Gnome coat-rack.

YT thanks for the inspiration... the wood in the attached photo comes from a T.Tersheckii that rotted and went very smelly on me about 2 months ago... I just took it out of the ground and threw it on the pile of garbage for burning in our yard, didn't think twice (wanted to get away from the awful smell :wacko: )...

Until you posted this thread :worship:

Now I can't believe I almost burned the poor thing. Came out of the rubbish pile as is yesterday afternoon, no sanding or nothing.

Thanks, Micro :innocent_n:

post-1521-1179205890_thumb.jpg

i recon theyd seal up nice in some heated bees wax! to preserve and make yummy natural shiny! that log must have come fom some funkin big pedro lol!!!???

Mircomegas B) That is one choice looking T.Tersheckii Palo got any plans on what your going to do with it?

Mircomegas That is one choice looking T.Tersheckii Palo got any plans on what your going to do with it?

Thanks... No plans atm, i'm unfortunately a bit handicapped when it comes to any sort of artistic endevour... but I do like the energy this old piece of wood has, nice to have around. I'm thinking perhaps a central ornament/piece for my garden but not really sure. After all, I have the green and growing variety in my garden already! For now, nice to blow tobacco smoke through, the smoke comes out of the holes and goes in all directions :rolleyes:

... nice to blow tobacco smoke through, the smoke comes out of the holes and goes in all directions :rolleyes:

Well then, rig it up as an incense burner, so the incense burns on the inside of the log, getting that smoke effect.

I would pack it up and ship it off to Planthelper, Im sure he could do something really nice with it, the boys got skills!