The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Barto

states and species

hey im new to shrooms and it gets a little confusing with all crossing and sharing of names

i know there are subs in vic but can any one tell me the species of actives They have found in vic

and i guess other states for all newbies in aus

Hi El Barto,

I started a similar thread in relation to Tasmania:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=13073

Trich-Aura has posted a list at the shroomery which is really good:

http://www.shroomery.org/9130/Australia

Which i'll quote here:

Psychoactive Mushrooms of Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Gymnopilus junonius

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

New South Wales

Gymnopilus junonius

Panaeolus cyanescens

Panaeolus subbalteatus

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Northern Territory

Panaeolus cyanescens

Queensland

Gymnopilus junonius

Panaeolus cyanescens

Psilocybe cubensis

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

South Australia

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Panaeolus fimicola

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Tasmania

Psilocybe alutacea

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Victoria

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Western Australia

Gymnopilus junonius

Gymnopilus purpuratus

Panaeolus fimicola

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Also i might suggest using the search engine on this site and google, I reckon you'll find what your after, just use this list a starting point and go from there.

Although i know what its like scoring the web because there is heaps of info around, some of it doesn't make much sense, and some of it conflicting.

Also try your local library (or uni library would be even better), and check out some of the better identification guides specific to victoria, not perfect, but if your a newbie will certainly help. reading and research are very important if your new to mycology.

Anyway, it would be great to see what info you come up with.

Cheers, Obtuse.

i have done heaps of searching i got that list early on in my search, i have found heaps about specific species but only for Act Nsw and Tas there is nearly nothing out there about vic specific and when you do find stuff about vic specific it conflicts with the next thing you find

Hmm, would you mind posting any good info that you source? Or perhaps a link - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in seeing a few lists, even if they are out of date :)

In SEQ I have found Gymnopilus sapineus, Copelandia tropicalis, Copelandia cyanscens, Panaeolus subbalteatus, and know people that fairly reliably find P.cubensis. Also I often find these things that the closest I can ever nail em down to is like an A. pantherina but citrus golden yellow, warty, ringed, sometimes veiled. Rank smell, seem to like living under hickory wattles.

Scaries I find often include A. phalloides (bad news), C. molybdites and what are probably Galerina, tend to pop their ugly heads up amongst Conocybes etc. Also those blueing boletus, they're amazing! I could break one of them into tiny pieces just to watch the instant bluey-greening thru the yellow all afternoon. Ok, I admit it, been a long time between picks haha.

In WA Psilocybe coprophila have been reported to be found growing in kangaroo dung, but the activity of these is very questionable and not worth hunting down for that purpose.