The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Psychedelics Encyclopedia:

sweeet...thanks :)

AJ

EDIT: Arrhhh ha 'unremarkable'

Edited by Auntyjack

Awesome! Thanks Devance :) This is what we need to do with all the good Psych books! Hmm...

I didn't scan it which the reason for the poor quality and said unremarkable.

But I did come across it in surfing and it is nice to be appreciated.

This is a ethno/botany forum plants so I try to do my humble best by bring something when I come across it.

Awesome read to add to the collection

here's a thought.... maybe BUY the book and support the author so he can afford to write another one.

Maybe some people don't have a credit card.

Or wealthy.

Perhaps that might be the reason which that be a resource.

If you don't like it I won't do so anymore.

Which as the forum manager I can see that.

I bought this book, a great one to add to the collection!

Aside from the obvious advantage of getting to preview a book before buying it over the net (most dont live near a book store that stocks such books) what about saftey from persecution? Can these type of books be bought legally in pdf format? Given how horribly damming even owning a copy can be in a court of law, sometimes leading to a drugs conviction even if no crime had been committed, some folks might be cautious enough to encrypt the unpopular portion of their literary collection so the thought police cant add possession of banned knowledge as evidence of intent to manufacture in a trial.

I do agree with supporting authors of helpful texts, people that do good stuff should be encouraged and supported :)

But I can also relate to people not wanting their face stomped in by the boot of a pharmacratic inquisition foot soldier masquerading as a judge.

Free Encryption Apps

no matter what your excuse for stealing someone else's work is, point is that by doing this to people in your own community you are really only hurting yourself. The number of authors who have put substantial effort into good ethno books [or publishers who could be bothered printing them] have diminished in the last few years precisely due to the dramatic drop in sales.

So, if you prefer to just have pretty books without substance rather than tomes that take the better part of a lifetime to compile, then join into the 'information revolution'. But keep in mind that people simply won't spend 10 or 20 years of their life researching and writing a book if they can't even get a year's worth of salary from its sales. There is only so much the free internet can provide us with. And at the moment this short sightedness is really just stealing from our own future.

There's plenty of free legal ethno stuff available on the internet, so we really don't need to deprive full-time authors of their income.

Moral of the story- buy the book, donate it to a library, then get and encrypt a pdf copy. Solves both issues. :wink:

(I did previously say support the author)

It pisses me off to no end when I see books on cancer research or toxicology that cost $300 for a 150 page book and I cant help but think such sales practices hurt research by cutting out all but the corporate funded researchers but this book is like $30, its affordable, thats just a few pizzas -if folks like it they'll likely buy it.

I havent read the book (or downloaded or bought it) if it deals predominantly with legal drugs then yeah, it may not be too suspicious if mixed in with other books. Most scanned books are of such quality that most people who would have bought them will still buy a copy if the book is useful, I know I always prefer treeware books over electronic.

I think people mistake the widespread commercialization of 'legal highs' for actual interest in entheology and so I am not convinced drops in book sales is directly proportional to pdf scans and such. A bunch of kids buying wild dagga because they heard "that shiznit iz almost like weed" is not the same as university intellectuals wanting to understand the role of entheogens sociological and medicinal roles in traditional cultures.

Should we take down this forum aswell? and every other information resource?

I do see what is being said and the moral implications, but like it was said before, not everyone has the money and or a credit card to buy a big collection of books on the net.

i can say i have not seen any kind of ethno books where ever i have looked at actual book stores,and like auxin,i like a book far better then a computer screen anyday. and im sure most of us share the information (and other stuff) we gain (from verius sources) as time goes past and instead of stealing from our future, it may actually be adding to it.

Maybe you could supply some more of these hard to find in australia books and slap em on the sab store? people would be able to pay with direct deposit and im sure they will feel safer and better knowing they bought a book they wanted from a reliable ready local source?

My main reason i dont have a collection is coz i cant find any actual books, without needing a credit card.

--

you dont have to be a university intellectual to want to learn about plants. im a high school drop out, that was pulled into the scene by the whole legal high stuff but found i wanted to learn more after spending time reading posts on this here free forum.which i never would have come across if it wasent for the use of the internet. now im not driven by legal highs and marketing\drug aspect of the community but rather, learning about these plants that have driven mankind for years which i had no clue about b4.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

Or a mod can make a sticky thread with a list of good books in which people can contribute the names of and links to a trust worthy site.and for those with no credit card, can order a copy off a Sab member that does have one and is willing on buying the requested copy then resell it via direct deposit or money order since it would be inside australia.

just a thought.

get paypal JOP. u dont need a credit card, and is accepted by many online retailers. Try fishpond, they are located in aus, and have a great range of books... even ethno, with pretty reasonable prices, mostly

customs NEVER opens retail packages from amazon.com. They also sell this book the cheapest, which means individuals ordering it from amazon is safer than some retailer trying to stock it.

staying relevant is what its all about

i already own the book

and

after waiting so long for an english version

i was disappointed

its not so much of a reference as a historical document in my library

good on him to try, but maybe he attempted the impossible

in such a fast moving field and encyclopaedia is quite possibly the very worst thing to be writing

he should stick to smaller tomes

example by proxy

claudias herbs and witchcraft book is excellent

in fact i wouldnt be writing ( or buying current ) EB books atm given the rapid changes and assimilation of information, wait till things cool down, or youll mostly be buying yesterdays news.

in contrast i do collect any relevant papers

also plenty of pre-internet ethnographic texts which essentially detail worlds that no longer exist

- the change in the world even from the 1990's to the tweens is so fundamental it needs a book of its own

also i doubt the correlation between file sharing and decline in book sales

same information with two very different markets

i love books and hate computers and their software ( as the primitive restrictive objects and systems they are)

as a book person i value them and will buy them regardless of whether i have that info already

because i just find computers unreliable and annoying to read and navigate - why mess with VR when R is already as good as it gets?

Edited by Rev

Hey all, not about the same book but didn't want to start a new topic, anyone read 'Encyclopedia of psychoactives' by richard rudgley?

Saw it today,

Peace,

Mind