The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Anyone used 'dry ice' to repair car dents?

Thats a cool way to pull out dents hehe.

Would be way expensive though! Also it wouldn't pull out creased dents I don't think.

Can anyone actually see a dent in that vid? It probably just me but it looks like a pretty smooth surface even before he hits it with the dry ice. And yeah, couldnt imagine it being suitable for most dents - only a smooth buckle.

BTW, where could dry ice be found? It would make for an interesting experiment! If only I still had my old Kingswood - that thing was full of dents! :P

Last time I checked, dry ice was readily available in Perth. Uses I have witnessed include keeping icreams frozen for a kids function in a park and for making dry ice bombs :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Spock

why would it be expensive?

Dry Ice isnt that expensive and can usualy be had for free down at the fish markets at closing time and other similar places. ;)

It would would be expensive if it went badly however, LOL.

I read that it can also be done by leaving your car in the hot sun all day then putting icecubes in the dent.

Yeah that dent is very minor and its only meant to be used for minor dents not creases or deep dents.

Saves you forking out a bag of cash for a handful of small parking dents that you want to fix.

I bet this tech is applied in the used-car market a lot...

Be aware that its also used for making meth so its a suss item in some peoples eyes...

Edited by AndyAmine.

You can get it pretty cheap at some servos.

Fair dinkum? I dont think I've seen the stuff anywhere. Or are you lot having a larf at my expense? :P

dry ice bombs

Hmm - perhaps that would be why I havent seen it much? So what's involved in a dry ice bomb? Sounds nasty!

No joke mate. Have used it at work, keeping plant samples chilled. I don't think they'd advertise it or anything, you'd have to ask around I suppose.

I used to get the stuff from BOC and it was pellets not a block. I f you can get it for nothing then thats a bargin :)

Not to sure if many would be using it for meth now that NH3 Nitrate has restrictions on it. Far easier and less dangerous ways than that anyway.

EDIT: You can't get dry ice at servo's in Australia as far as I know, just the frozen water kinda ice :)

Edited by Harry

Yeah dry ice is a specialty item.....I have never seen it available in NSW outside BOC and similar suppliers and I work in an Ice Cream factory and have used the stuff for years!....its dangerous shit!

Dent pulling, that is kind of cool, pun intended....but you would think it would flatten creases. Also when CO2 mixes with water it forms carbonic acid which is a weak acid but may impact on paint on top of the thermal issues.

Ace, The dry ice bomb is great, 1.25 L PET bottle half full of water, drop in a few pellets of dry ice, put lid on tight, RUN! It was one of the best sounding explosions that my neighbors had the displeasure of hearing and my young sons loved it! My underpants did not!

Well, no doubt it'd be pretty common in an ice cream factory :P What makes it so dangerous? Sorry to sound a bit on the stupid side, but I've never really had much to do with the stuff...

So the bomb is just water and dry ice? I guess it'd just be rapid expansion of the water due to the dramatic drop in temps? Kaboom eh? I bet the kiddies would have loved ya for that one Bongchitis! :P

Playing with small amounts of dry ice is ok. Dry ice is composed of solidified carbon dioxide. When it decomposes or melts, it goes straight from a solid to a gas. CO2 build up is a bad thing if you breath oxygen :)

Its also very cold, can't remember the exact temp but it is cold enough to use to condense Nh3 gas which is at least -20°C roughly from memory. Do a search for a MSDS on dry ice and it will give you all the data you need on the stuff.

So the bomb is just water and dry ice? I guess it'd just be rapid expansion of the water due to the dramatic drop in temps? Kaboom eh?

Nah, it is because a small block of dry ice makes a HUGE volume of CO2 gas. Just about any PET bottle will do, even a 600ml MT Franklin spring water bottle. The water just makes the dry ice melt faster.

I've seen a dry ice bomb put into a homemade tool used for banging steel star pickets into the ground (a bit of very heavy steel pipe with a plate on one end and two big handles each side). Following the dry ice bomb, a pig melon was put into the pipe. It was then pointed at a various objects (incly an old car, an old style port-a-loo made from heavy duty steel angle & galv steel sheeting). The result was quite unbelievable. It made those spud guns (the kind that shoot whole spuds) look like pea shooters.

Just for the record, these acts were not carried out by irresponsible little kiddes, but rather mid 30-ish irresponsible othwerwise sensible people :rolleyes:

In Perth, Kalamunda Ice was (and probably still is) the place to get dry ice. Cheap, fairly lage blocks and no questions.

Edited by Mr Spock

Just for the record, these acts were not carried out by irresponsible little kiddes, but rather mid 30-ish irresponsible othwerwise sensible people

PMSL - Mr Spock you are a champ! :P:worship:

Thanks for clearing that up too - I might have to look into some dry ice for 'work' related reasons :wink: I'm sure I need to install a few star pickets along a boundary line somewhere :P haha